Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
5/24/2011 10:57:22 AM
Quote:

This one caught my attention. He really does use a lot of the dark and light in his paintings and the result is outstanding.

You are right, and that is what I have been trying to point out all through this thread though I may have not been able to express myself with as much clarity as you have. And it is precisely this special characteristic of his painting that makes most of Friedrich's works so attractive - at least to me.

In the course of today I expect to post a few more of his works that share this feature and to contrast them with others that do not. I hope you, and everyone else here, don't mind or get bored if I insist on this point, so important in my view.

Love,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/24/2011 12:49:56 PM

Luis,

I look forward to more.

They are wonderful images.

Roger

+0
5/24/2011 3:02:00 PM

So do I look forward to more Roger!! I am sure we shall never be disappointed.

Hugs,

Sara

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2011 12:45:59 AM
Dear Friends,

Let me show some contrasting masterworks by Caspar David Friedrich. The first one, a most beautiful, peaceful and pretty academic painting from 1808, the Bohemian Landscape with Mount Milleschauer; and inmediately below a revolutionary and virtually unknown master piece from circa 1824: Abend, also called Sonneruntergang Hinter der Dresdener Hofkirche.

Caspar David Friedrich - Bohemian Landscape with Mount Milleschauer
(oil on canvas, 1808)

Caspar David Friedrich - Abend (oil on canvas, c. 1824)

By the way, there is another pretty unknown painting from 1821 called Der Abend (or The Times of Day: The Evening). The contrast between this latter and the 'Abend' previously shown cannot be more evident.

Caspar David Friedrich - Der Abend (oil on canvas, c. 1821)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2011 12:53:40 AM

MORE CONTRASTS

Here is another delicious, virtually unknown, pretty academic work by Caspar David Friedrich: Meadows near Greifswald, painted in 1822 - scarcely four years before he produced a work of rare beauty: Graveyard under Snow (shown immediately below), one of his most famous, but definitely somber, master pieces.

Caspar David Friedrich - Meadows near Greifswald (oil on canvas, 1822)

Caspar David Friedrich - Graveyard under Snow
(oil on canvas, 1826)

Not that he needed to paint cemeteries and the like to depict the evening hours. Here is yet another beautiful work painted as early as 1803: Blick auf Arkona mit aufgehendem Mond und Netzen. But this one is also one of his less known works, which might suggest that a somber element can also be an important factor to make artworks more attractive than beauty alone.

Caspar David Friedrich - Blick auf Arkona mit aufgehendem Mond und Netzen
(oil on canvas, 1803)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!