Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
5/25/2011 3:58:04 AM
Hi Luis,

When I saw this one at 1st look, I thought it was angels in the sky

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2011 9:25:57 AM

Luis,

I love his trees. His detail and atmosphere are masterful. I like the wonderful movement in the horses on the last one.

The graveyard is very good but as you say, not popular because most people would not want this on their wall.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2011 5:18:00 PM
Hello Myrna,

I have no doubt that you are an angel. Only an angel can see other angels.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2011 5:24:09 PM
Hi Luis,
It takes one to know one. If I am an angel, you are too.

Myrna

Quote:
Hello Myrna,

I have no doubt that you are an angel. Only an angel can see other angels.

Miguel
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2011 6:32:29 PM
Hello Roger,

There is no question about the graveyard not being popular. For all its great quality as a painting, I would not like it on my wall too. However, it was the kind of painting that finally grabbed the critics' attention and made both Friedrich and his works known to the general public. I guess it is in the nature of people to be drawn to novelty.

By the way, do you remember his
seemingly monochrome Monastery Graveyard in the Snow of 1817-19? You may view it below. Out of curiosity, I made a research and learned it was destroyed during the air-raids of World War II, so what we can see of it now is only a black and white photograph. It actually had been painted by Friedrich as a second and more symbolic version of his Abbey in the Oakwood (also shown in page 15 of this thread). The whole story is wonderfully narrated in this page: http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/CoreArt/art/rom_fri_clcem.html. There is an interesting interpretation of this painting "in a spooky sense": the monks are ghosts haunting their former monastery, and the shadowy bleakness of a winter day makes them almost seem present. I guess Joyce will be delighted if she reads this interpretation, much in consonance with her own interpretation of The Stages of Life in page 16.

Monastery Graveyard in the Snow

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!