Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
5/25/2011 6:55:30 PM

Dear Miguel, these are really good and I can see the contrasts and how he continues to use them in the paintings. What amazes me even more than the contrasts is the very clear background images. That is very hard to do.

As in this one...

Those horses look real and the city so very detailed. Wow!!

Thank you,

Sara

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2011 1:56:45 AM
Dear Sara and friends,

Here is a landscape by Caspar David Friedrich that in my view is outstanding in that it shows a clear balance between dark and light, which cannot be said of many of his paintings as they tend to be either dark or luminous for the most part. In my opinion, again, nowhere will you see as clearly as in this case that he actually was desperately searching this balance and perhaps not only in art but in his own life as well. In fact, the contrast is so perfect here that you can almost measure how much dark and light there is in it. And as can only be natural in a case like this, the result is so beautiful that it leaves one speechless, even if this beauty is not immediately apparent to the viewer - in fact, some would say it is too simple and balanced to even catch the eye of the occasional observer.

Caspar David Friedrich - The Riesengebirge (oil on canvas, 1832-35)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2011 2:15:39 AM

The previous example belongs to the last part of his life, which, always in my opinion, might suggest he was at last finding the desired balance in his life and works. And this may have been an urgent task, since the paintings he had made immediately before showed a definite predilection for the macabre, as shown by both the below example and his Cemetery at Dusk (from 1825), shown in pages 9 and 11 of this thread.

The Cemetery Gate (The Churchyard) (Oil on canvas, 1832-35)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2011 8:12:37 AM

Luis,

Although I stated that these later images were not what most people would want upon there wall I have to admit that I find the images powerful but not depressing.

The paintings really evoke the age in which they were painted. I do like these contrasts and am still very fond of the yellows that he used.

In these times there is a tendency to overdo tidyness and health and safety issues, particularly within Europe and America and the gates on this image would have been tidied or replaced. What age and charm they present.

Thank you for these wonderful images. Every one is beautiful, despite the subjects.

+0
5/28/2011 10:14:10 PM
Quote:
Dear Sara and friends,

Here is a landscape by Caspar David Friedrich that in my view is outstanding in that it shows a clear balance between dark and light, which cannot be said of many of his paintings as they tend to be either dark or luminous for the most part. In my opinion, again, nowhere will you see as clearly as in this case that he actually was desperately searching this balance and perhaps not only in art but in his own life as well. In fact, the contrast is so perfect here that you can almost measure how much dark and light there is in it. And as can only be natural in a case like this, the result is so beautiful that it leaves one speechless, even if this beauty is not immediately apparent to the viewer - in fact, some would say it is too simple and balanced to even catch the eye of the occasional observer.

Caspar David Friedrich - The Riesengebirge (oil on canvas, 1832-35)

Dear Miguel, what you write above about Caspar David Friedrich could be what a lot of us find ourselves trying to do "searching for balance in art and our own life as well..." Not exact quote but just something to think about. I do agree that his paintings can leave one speechless, so I will just enjoy them in all the contrasts.

Have a wonderful day!

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!