Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
5/19/2011 2:05:24 AM
Dear Friends,

Another fascinating trend that I perceive in Caspar David Friedrich's production is his frequent use of the vertical format in a higher number of works than is usual among artists - if we don't take portraits of people into account, that is. For example, in the beautiful but virtually unknown example below.

Caspar David Friedrich - Neubrandenburg (oil on canvas, 1817)

And also in this other painting which, unlike the previous one, is pretty famous.

Caspar David Friedrich - Rocky Ravine (oil on canvas, 1822-23)

I am sure this liking of verticality obeyed to an inner spiritual urge for Heaven on Friedrich's part, as otherwise demonstrated by his reiterative painting of crosses in very
high and remote places. Here is another virtually unknown image of a cross by him but as part of an incredibly beautiful painting of a cathedral where his other compulsive trait, the opposition/complementariness of dark and light appears in unusual splendor.

Caspar David Friedrich - The Cathedral (oil on canvas, 1818)

In my next pots I will try to additionally incide on this latter characteristic of Friedrich's works.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/19/2011 4:32:59 PM
Wow! That's deep.
Luis you take me back many decades to my youth, I vaguely remember walking through the cathedral the museums and whispering with my little friends about these gigantic somber pieces whilst trying to take in what the docent said I should see.

Always rebellious!
+0
5/19/2011 6:06:47 PM

Hello Miguel & Roger,

Leave it to Joyce to 'tell it like it is'!! I always enjoy hearing your comments Joyce.

This one caught my attention. He really does use a lot of the dark and light in his paintings and the result is outstanding.

Thank you for continuing to let us see these major works.

I suppose you saw where I posted that our friend Roger is having computer problems. :-( Maybe soon he will be back.

Love,

Sara

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/21/2011 4:10:25 PM

Hi,

I'm back and looking

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2011 11:00:08 AM
Quote:
Wow! That's deep.
Luis you take me back many decades to my youth, I vaguely remember walking through the cathedral the museums and whispering with my little friends about these gigantic somber pieces whilst trying to take in what the docent said I should see.

Always rebellious!

Sorry dear Joyce, I did not want to sound too didactic... nor would I wish to have you evoke such terrifying images, lol. I really like those paintings and all I wanted was understand the artist's predilections; sort of identifying myself with him.

By the way, I love that little picture.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!