Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
5/15/2011 2:37:34 AM
Quote:

Luis,

This is very different.

With this image I struggle to gather the scale of the figures and the ships. I think that he is playing with us here as his other work has great persective.

Roger

I think you are right, Roger; there really is a difference between the two pictures. Maybe Friedrich was trying to over-enphasize the idea of the closeness of death by exaggerating the way the farthest ship disappears in the horizon, and even the fact that the foreground of the painting is a hilltop may have created a false perspective... I am not sure which. At any rate, your comment makes sense to me.

Thank you,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2011 4:26:16 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Luis,

This is very different.

With this image I struggle to gather the scale of the figures and the ships. I think that he is playing with us here as his other work has great persective.

Roger

I think you are right, Roger; there really is a difference between the two pictures. Maybe Friedrich was trying to over-enphasize the idea of the closeness of death by exaggerating the way the farthest ship disappears in the horizon, and even the fact that the foreground of the painting is a hilltop may have created a false perspective... I am not sure which. At any rate, your comment makes sense to me.

Thank you,

Miguel

I have been back for another look.

When enlarged I was amazed to find that I had missed the two sailors at the top of the ship's mast, working on the sails. Wonderful little touch.

+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2011 5:34:04 PM
Luis and Roger your explanations are so "arty":)
To me they look like they are all dead and haven't figured it out yet, the ships linger in the near and far like they are floating.
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2011 7:33:50 AM

Quote:
To me they look like they are all dead and haven't figured it out yet, the ships linger in the near and far like they are floating.

You are lovely Joyce.

Say it like it is.

It depends what and how you are looking and why. I'm sure that the artist just wanted you to enjoy it as you feel it.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/18/2011 12:42:04 AM
Quote:

Quote:

You are lovely Joyce.

Say it like it is.

It depends what and how you are looking and why. I'm sure that the artist just wanted you to enjoy it as you feel it.

Roger

However, there is an oneiric quality in the scene that is perceived all about but which I was not able to set to words at first. It's like watching it in a dream. A sort of phantasmagory which, if you look at the dictionary, is another word for optical illusion. This brings it close to Joyce's interpretation and also to your own interpretation.

Thank you Joyce and Roger for your inspired feeback.

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

PS. Joyce, you were so right at least as to my explanation, it was terribly 'arty' as you say.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!