Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Apple Recipes, Pies, Cakes, Breads, Etc.
12/1/2010 5:16:44 AM
Hi Donna,

Here is a Fried Apples from Cracker Barrel. I made them and they are so good.. I fact I think Phil gave me the recipe. Most of the recipes I have on my pc are from Phil. I can him Mr Recipe.....lol

"Cracker Barrel" Fried Apples

Ingredients

• 2 cups apple juice
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 4 large golden delicious apples with peel,cut 1/2 inch wedges
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 4 tablespoons sugar

Directions

In a medium skillet, combine the 2 cups apple juice and sliced apples.

Simmer gently until apples are fork tender but not mushy, turning apples frequently.

Remove apples from juice using a slotted spoon and place in an oven safe dish.

In a blender, combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, cornstarch, apple pie spice and sugar.

Blend a few seconds until smooth.

Whisk mixture into hot apple juice in skillet and cook, stirring constantly on medium high heat until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth. Pour thickened mixture over apples and serve.

Then, I have a friend who used to cook over at the Cracker Barrel over in Lexington, NC, and he swears that thier secret ingredient is Bacon Grease, so here's his recipe as well...

1/4 cup bacon drippings
6 tart apples - cored, sliced
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg

In a large skillet, melt bacon drippings.Place apples evenly over skillet bottom.
Sprinkle lemon juice over them, then brown sugar, then salt.
Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until apples are tender.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 7:24:53 AM

Yum...yum..thanks for sharing the recipes, Myrna. I am now drooling!

DonnaZ

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 7:29:09 AM

Chewy Apple Moons

3/4 cup thawed frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate

1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apples

2 eggs

1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Combine apple juice concentrate and apples, let stand 10 minutes. Beat eggs in medium bowl. Blend in concentrate mixture, butter and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container.

Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 3:53:41 PM

Hello Donna,

I absolutely love Fruit, so for me at least, this is a perfect topic for a Forum Thread. Thanks so much for starting it for us.

Here's a gooey sweet pie that tastes best warm. It also reheats quite well in the Microwave. At 546 Calories per slice, it's a bit too sweet for my taste, but the kids seem to love it!

Caramel Apple Pie

Ingredients

• 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 cups thinly sliced apples
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 20 caramels, halved
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. To Make Taffy: In a small bowl combine brown sugar, melted butter or margarine, and 1/3 cup flour. Mix well and set aside.
  3. To Make Apple Filling: Place apples in a large bowl. Add white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Toss until all ingredients are mixed well and apples are thoroughly coated.
  4. Spoon half of apple filling into pastry-lined deep-dish pan. Top with half of caramels and half of taffy mixture. Repeat process with remaining apple filling, caramels and taffy mixture. Place top pastry over filling and seal well (this is very important--if edges are not sealed, caramel will leak out all over). Cut steam vents and brush top crust with milk or light cream.
  5. Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil from pie and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden. Serve warm.

Personally, I love Apple Strudel, and when you use ready made phyllo pastry and your homemade apple filling, this one is both quick and easy to make, as well as mouth-watering to eat.

Apple Strudel

Ingredients

• 1 pound sweet apples -- peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup dried currants
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 slices brown bread, crumbled
  • 1/2 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a bowl, combine apples, raisins, currants, cinnamon, sugar and bread crumbs. Stir well.
  3. Spread several sheets of pastry generously with melted butter and lay them on atop the other on a baking sheet. Spread the fruit mixture evenly over the top sheet, then roll the sheets up to form a log shape. Brush with melted butter again.
  4. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and fruit is tender.

Since you mentioned that all fruits were fair game to use in the Desserts, I'll have to look up some other Fruit recipes as well. I'll finish up the Apple Sweets, for the time being at least, with a personal Favorite of mine, a delicious Apple Cheesecake that I usually try to make at least once every fall.

Autumn Cheesecake

Ingredients

• 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and melted butter; press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix at medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in vanilla; pour filling into the baked crust.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Toss the cinnamon-sugar with the apples to coat. Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese layer and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes. With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan. Let cool, then remove the rim of pan. Chill cake before serving.

Always Remember My Friends...

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 6:52:48 PM
Hi Donna,

You did say any Fruit, so here's a little something different, with not only apples, but a medley of fun fruits. Try this easy to make, tasty fruit salsa and cinnamon tortilla chips. Eat it either as an appetizer or as just a snack. It's great for anytime!

Fruit Salsa w/Cinnamon Chips

Ingredients

• 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
  • 2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
  • 8 ounces raspberries
  • 1 pound strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar (or Splenda)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or Splenda Brown Blend)
  • 3 tablespoons Sugar-free fruit preserves, any flavor
  • 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
  • butter flavored cooking spray
  • 2 cups cinnamon sugar

Directions

1. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.

Have A Great Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!