Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Apple Recipes, Pies, Cakes, Breads, Etc.
12/1/2010 4:39:51 AM

Hi Donna & Friends,

Did somebody say Apples? Here's a couple of my personal favorites...

Here's a great combination of apples and cranberries with a crispy topping. This is often a favorite of my Family at Thanksgiving instead of plain cranberries.

Apple Cranberry Crisp

• 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter flavored shortening, melted
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 5 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir in the melted shortening and water to form a crumbly mixture.
  3. In a large saucepan, mix together the cranberry sauce and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat. Stir in the apples. Spread into an 8x8 inch glass baking dish. Crumble the oat mixture over the apples.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Serve warm.

Then, here's one that's just about as soimple as they come. Who knew that fresh apples, crescent roll dough, and citrus soda could make such a wonderful treat?

Country Apple Dumplings

Ingredients

• 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew ™

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
  3. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew™ over the dumplings.
  4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

That's all for tonight, but if it's Apples you all like, Shucks Honey, I got 'em by the truckload! I'll be BacK!

Have A Sweet Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 4:53:41 AM
Oh I LOVE fruit cocktail cake !!!1

My Aunt always made it.

Pat

Quote:

Hi Pat,

I have never made fruit cake. It wasn't popular in northern Wisconsin where I grew up, nor do I recall my mother-in-law making it in southern Wisconsin. I have had purchased fruit cake if you are talking about the kind popular for Christmas, but never homemade.

I do have a fruit cocktail cake recipe I will post next.

DonnaZ

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 4:58:36 AM

Hi Myrna,

Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites. My mother used to make them and I did too when I baked more often. My husband and I are always "trying to diet" so I don't make dessert very much. However, I am going to copy your recipe and try it on the grandkids, who like sweets.

DonnaZ

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 5:00:23 AM

My mouth is watering just reading your recipes, Phil. I knew we could count on you to come up with some tasty apple recipes, so I decided to start this thread featuring fruit, mostly apple recipes, but all recipes are welcome.

DonnaZ

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2010 5:01:24 AM

Hi Pat,

I remember my mother making this fruit cocktail cake and it was really moist and tasty.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!