Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: OIL SPILL - Responsibility
6/15/2010 4:20:47 PM
Hello Roger and friends,
It looks like the truth is finally emerging. As previously hinted here, the story is, at least, one of greed and incredible irresponsibility. At worst - well, it still could be a murderous plot to immensely benefit from the tragedy. But I don't think the authors of such a demonic plot, if any, could ever be prosecuted. I mean, they are the kind that never get to see the public light. Or will it this time?
Best Wishes,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

BP engineer called doomed rig a 'nightmare well'

AP – The Transocean Deepwater Discoverer drilling rig operates over the site the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, Sunday, June 13, 2010, in Gulf of Mexico. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

By MATTHEW DALY, Associated Press Writer Mon Jun 14, 6:17 pm ET

WASHINGTON – BP took measures to cut costs in the weeks before the catastrophic blowout in the Gulf of Mexico as it dealt with one problem after another, prompting a BP engineer to describe the doomed rig as a "nightmare well," according to internal documents released Monday.

The comment by BP engineer Brian Morel came in an e-mail April 14, six days before the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion that killed 11 people and has sent tens of millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf in thenation's worst environmental disaster.

The e-mail was among dozens of internal documents released by the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which is investigating the explosion and its aftermath.

In a letter to BP CEO Tony Hayward, Reps. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., and Bart Stupak, D-Mich., noted at least five questionable decisions BP made in the days leading up to the explosion.

"The common feature of these five decisions is that they posed a trade-off between cost and well safety," said Waxman and Stupak. Waxmanchairs the energy panel while Stupak heads a subcommittee on oversight and investigations.

"Time after time, it appears that BP made decisions that increased the risk of a blowout to save the company time or expense," the lawmakers wrote in the 14-page letter to Hayward. "If this is what happened, BP's carelessness and complacency have inflicted a heavy toll on the Gulf, its inhabitants, and the workers on the rig."

The letter, supplemented by 61 footnotes and dozens of documents, outlines a series of questions Hayward can expect when he comes before Stupak's subcommittee on Thursday.

The hearing will be Hayward's first appearance before a congressional committee since the explosion and sinking of the BP-operated Deepwater Horizon rig. BP America President Lamar McKay and other officials represented the company at earlier hearings.

The letter by Waxman and Stupak focuses on details such as how to secure the final section of the deepwater well. The company apparently chose a riskier option among two possibilities — running a single string of steel casing from the seafloor to the bottom of the well, instead of hanging a steel liner with a "tieback" on top.

Despite warnings from its own engineers, "BP chose the more risky casing option, apparently because the liner option would have cost $7 to $10 million more and taken longer," Waxman and Stupak said.

In a brief e-mail exchange, Morel and a colleague, Richard Miller, talked about the last-minute changes.

"We could be running it in 2-3 days, so need a relative quick response. Sorry for the late notice, this has been nightmare well which has everyone all over the place," Morel wrote on April 14.

Waxman and Stupak also said BP apparently rejected advice of a subcontractor, Halliburton Inc., in preparing for a cementing job to close up the well. BP rejected Halliburton's recommendation to use 21 "centralizers" to make sure the casing ran down the center of the well bore, they said. Instead, BP used six centralizers.

In an e-mail on April 16, a BP official involved in the decision explained: "It will take 10 hours to install them. I do not like this." Later that day, another official recognized the risks of proceeding with insufficient centralizers but commented: "who cares, it's done, end of story, will probably be fine."

In spite of the well's difficulties, "BP appears to have made multiple decisions for economic reasons that increased the danger of a catastrophic well failure," Waxman and Stupak said.

The lawmakers also said BP also decided against a nine- to 12-hour procedure known as a "cement bond log" that would have tested the integrity of the cement. A team from Schlumberger, an oil services firm, was on board the rig, but BP sent the team home on a regularly scheduled helicopter flight the morning of April 20. Less than 12 hours later, the rig exploded.

BP also failed to fully circulate drilling mud, a 12-hour procedure that could have helped detect gas pockets that later shot up the well and exploded on the drilling rig.

A spokesman for BP could not immediately reached for comment.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/15/2010 10:10:49 PM

Looks disgaceful.

Big money ignores the safety aspects again.

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2010 7:15:19 AM

WATCH THE VIDEO THAT BP DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE ......

My heart is broken because 11 people died, thousands of birds, fish, animals are dead. And BP does NOT want the people who are doing the clean up..... in that FILTH... in that DANGER to wear safe gear that can save their lives.

What in the heck is going on in the minds of BP? Why can't CLEAN UP PEOPLE working in VERY hazardous conditions, wear the same SAFE gear people wore when workers cleaned up 9/11? BP is telling people if they wear masks to help them breath.... they will be fired. THIS IS CRIMINAL.

In my opinion, President Obama should have given the speech that RACHAEL MADDOW gave on her tonight's show. HE NEEDS TO KICK ASS. KICK BP HARD!

http://www.repoweramerica.org/?utm_source=crm_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=hpheader

What the President said

Last night, President Obama addressed the nation about the Gulf Coast oil spill. He laid out a crucial plan for recovery in the face of this unprecedented environmental disaster, and he called on Americans to seize this moment to end our addiction to fossil fuels and embrace clean energy.

The House of Representatives has already passed comprehensive climate and clean energy legislation. And tomorrow, the Senate Democratic caucus will meet to determine what legislation to push in the wake of the Deepwater Oil Disaster.

The Senate must choose between two paths -- but only one will embrace a clean energy future.

The first path focuses on the short term. It would do what is necessary to stop the leak, hold BP accountable, and hopefully tighten regulations on offshore drilling. But ultimately, it would do nothing to change our addiction to fossil fuels or the dirty energy policies that led to this disaster.

The second path is bolder. We would still prioritize stopping the leak, but rather than being satisfied with a quick fix, we'll finally seize control of our own destiny with comprehensive climate and clean energy legislation. We would create millions of jobs and strengthen our economy. We'd reduce our dependence on foreign oil and make our nation more secure. And we would prevent future environmental disasters by embracing clean, American energy solutions.

When the Senate Democratic Caucus meets tomorrow, they will make this choice for all of America. We know it will be far too easy for Senators to take the easy way out, and we can't let that happen. In the next 24 hours, we have a crucial window to help decide our country's future.

Your Senators will be in this meeting on Thursday and it's essential that they hear from you before they make up their mind. Call your Senators now and ask them to seize this opportunity and support comprehensive climate and clean energy legislation.

If ever there was a time for our Senators to stand up and end the devastating, dirty energy policies that have weakened our economy, endangered our national security and led to the worst environmental disaster in our nation's history -- this is the time.

But the influence of the oil and coal lobbies in Washington is still overwhelming, and Senators will be tempted to support a band-aid bill that claims to help the Gulf without actually confronting the dirty energy policies that made the Deepwater spill a reality.

This Thursday is decision day. Will the Democratic Caucus push for a new way forward or will they settle for more of the same?

Now is the time to make our voices heard. Call your Senators and ask them to support comprehensive climate and clean energy legislation on Thursday.

Report your call.

Our leaders won't rise above the forces of opposition without our help.

Thanks for your work at this crucial moment,

Dave Boundy
Campaign Manager
The Climate Protection Action Fund's Repower America campaign

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2010 9:48:10 PM

Thank you all for your contributions.

I am so pleased that we have a good open discussion here.

We clearly share the same pinion that BP has many questions to answer and much recompense to undertake.

Roger

+0
6/17/2010 10:00:46 PM

Hello Roger and Friends,

The Congressional hearings have just completed on questions for Tony Hayward. It was a grueling session, I believe one member told him he had answered "I don't know" about 69 times. He left the room in a run and would not speak to news media.

They really gave him a thorough questioning. I am sure it will be spread all over the world as I write this. I wanted to watch it for myself but missed part of it. He surely does not look or sound like a CEO who knows much about his company. For the most part his answers were that was included in a on-going investigation and the truth would come out in that.

Yes, it has been an interesting discussion here and looks like it will continue for some time now. They are not even sure the relief wells will work. :-(

We must keep praying,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!