Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: OIL SPILL - Responsibility
6/18/2010 9:34:11 PM

Hi Sarah. I watched the CONGRESSIONAL HEARING that you wrote about

The Congressional hearings have just completed on questions for Tony Hayward. It was a grueling session, I believe one member told him he had answered "I don't know" about 69 times. He left the room in a run and would not speak to news media.

I could not believe Tony Hayward's ineptitude. I do not think he LOOKED and answered the questions put to him like a CEO of a company (more like the janitor) and I feel he should be fired.

And I could not believe that Joe Barton, GOP Congressman from Texas apologized to BP!! (for Pres Obama making BP pay the 20 Billion fund to help everyone who has been harmed by this disaster.) Barton said: "I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday," Barton said. "I apologize. I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or corporation does anything wrong," they are subjected to such political pressure. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/06/joe-bartons-bp-shakedown-comme.html?wprss=44

What is Barton thinking? That BP did nothing wrong? That is the stupidest thing I have heard a politician say.

Barton has since recanted his remarks because GOP's leadership said he would be removed from his leadership role if he didn't take back his statement. http://tinyurl.com/33ej9s8

Breaking news: BP CEO Tony Haywood has been shuffled off (following his HORRIBLE testimony yesterday probably! ) Gulf oil spill: Tony Hayward replaced by BP as head of its oil cleanup effort

A day after its chief executive's widely panned appearance before Congress, BP said Friday that it would replace Tony Hayward as head of its oil-spill cleanup effort.

In an interview with Britain's Sky News, BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg said Hayward will relinquish daily oversight to Robert Dudley, a BP managing director who started his career at Chicago-based Amoco Corp., which BP bought in 1998. Dudley will report to Hayward, who will remain as CEO.

A BP spokesman said afterward that the handoff to Dudley had long been in the works and was publicly announced two weeks ago. But Svanberg's comments appeared to indicate a growing frustration with Hayward's public-relations handling of the crisis, which was capped Thursday by his verbal sparring with members of a House committee investigating the disastrous Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

"It is clear Tony has made remarks that have upset people," Svanberg said.

From early in the crisis, Hayward has made a series of fumbles that critics interpreted as signs of callouness and detachment. His comment to reporters in late May that "I want my life back," sparked a firestorm from those who said it demonstrated BP's disregard for the suffering of those in the gulf region.

The damage worsened in his congressional appearance Thursday. Hayward spoke in a steady monotone, stressed that he wasn't involved in key decisions before the deadly April 20 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig and wouldn't comment on the cause of the accident.

"Unfortunately in most cases he did not have good answers – or give any answers," said Fadel Gheit, an analyst at Oppenheimer & Co. in New York. "He obviously was unprepared and ill-equipped to go through this inquisition."

-- Walter Hamilton

Photo: Tony Hayward on a despoiled beach in Port Fourchon last month. Credit: Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times

sphereit end

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: OIL SPILL - Responsibility - BP BURNING SEA TURTLES LIKE GARBAGE
6/18/2010 11:51:08 PM

I just saw this story on AOL..... this just makes me sick!!! Isn't there something we can do to make BP stop the death & attrocities to our animals, fish and land devistated by the oil disaster?

Pat

Sea Turtle Restoration Project : BP Blocks Attempt to Save Endangered Sea Turtles from Oil Spill

BP Blocks Attempt to Save Endangered Sea Turtles from Oil Spill

June 16th, 2010

A shrimp boat captain in Louisiana hired by BP was blocked from rescuing juvenile Kemp's ridleys that were covered in oil in the Gulf waters. He was captured on video saying that the turtles are being collected in the clean-up efforts and burned up like so much ocean debris with other marine life gathering along tide lines where oil also congregates.

He witnessed BP workers burning turtles caught in the oil booms. Rescue efforts are being ended tomorrow.

STRP's Gulf Director Carole Allen responded to the news by saying "The burning of boom and oil when even one sea turtle was seen in the water is a despicable crime."

STRP's Chris Pincetich has been in communication with both the reporter who shot the interview and the Captain who witnessed the illegal killing of sea turtles, and is making arrangements to ensure that sea turtle rescue efforts are not stopped, and can be performed in areas with boomed oil.

The Los Angeles Times reported on the "Death by Fire" June 17, click here to read the story.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2010 1:21:46 AM
Hello Roger, Sara and Pat,

A Brazen Case of Concealment in the Oil Spill?

This morning I read on Yahoo News a report from Associated Press that put my hairs on end. It informed of the so far overlooked possibility that huge quantities of methane had entered the Gulf along with the oil spilled, perhaps no less than 55 percent of the total quantity. It went on to tell why this already could be endangering life around the entire area of the Gulf to an unbelievable extent.
Since I had no time to post the report here or anywhere at that moment of day, I saved the link to it, including the URL of the photo and its caption, my idea being to recover it later and publish it probably in the afternoon.
Well, a few minutes ago I tried to read it again and what I found is the link is indeed working, but the original report has mysteriously disappeared and been replaced by another, innocuous report. This latter report says nothing about any methane but rather informs about Mr Hayward's whereabouts now that he has been fired by BP after he enraged the members of US Congress during his presentation yesterday.
If you go search at Google for something like "Methane spilled along with oil in Gulf rig?" you may get the following:
NEW ORLEANS -- It is an overlooked danger in oil spillcrisis: The crude gushing from the well ... That means huge quantities of methane have entered the Gulf, ...BP was leasing the rig the Deepwater Horizon that exploded April 20, ...

That is what I have just read there. But if you do click that item at Google you are again taken to the innocuous, reassuring report about Mr Hayward. Just the same one that appears if you click the below heading, the original one that I read at Yahoo:

And this was the photo with the original caption below. You can still reach it here: http://l.yimg.com/a/i/ww/news/2010/06/18/oil-pd.jpg

A massive eruption of odorless methane pours out of the leaking well along with the crude.

Do you think they are concealing the truth
at AP about the methane leak? Or was it just a mistake, a blotch that has now been removed?
Alternatively, are they or someone behind them attempting to gloss over something that they would rather keep unknown to the general public, at least in the US?
This is all very confuse. There is something here that escapes reason. Who can know the real truth?
Note that they already published the following about methane gas back in May 8 (see here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8669535.stm):

Oil workers describe methane 'explosion' on Gulf rig

The deadly blast on board an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was caused by an exploding bubble of methane gas, according to a US media report.

Workers on the rig described hearing "screaming and hollering" and said people leapt into the sea to escape.

The accounts came from a BP report into last month's blast, which has led to thousands of barrels of oil leaking.

Eye-witnesses also said that safety mechanisms did not function and that workers were taken by surprise.

The fresh details about the blast were revealed in interviews with oil rig workers carried out by BP during an internal investigation, Associated Press reports.

The revelations came as a giant funnel was lowered over the oil well in a bid to contain oil leaking from it.

BP said it might take up to 12 hours for the steel-and-concrete containment device to settle in place, but that everything appeared to be going as planned.

It is hoped it will be able to collect as much as 85% of the leaking oil and begin funnelling it to ships above by Monday.

Oil from a slick caused by the leak has washed ashore on islands off Louisiana.

'Tears of anger'

Fresh details about the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig emerged on Friday. One worker rescued from the rig, Micah Sandell, reportedly said: "There was people screaming and hollering. There was people jumping off the side. I've never seen nothing like that. Never."

Another, Dwayne Martinez, said: "Everybody was scared to death. Nothing went as planned like it was supposed to."

Mr Martinez continued: "No kind of alarms. We didn't hear any kind of alarms until there was one explosion."

The accounts, from BP's own investigations into the blast last month, describe how the blow-out was triggered by a bubble of methane gas that escaped from the well and shot up the drill column, AP reports.

It rapidly expanded as it burst through several seals and barriers before exploding, the documents say.

Details of the documents were revealed by Robert Bea, a University of California Berkeley engineering professor, who has worked for BP as a risk assessment consultant.

BP spokesman John Curry would not comment on the events described in the internal documents. "We anticipate all the facts will come out in a full investigation," he said.

'Good progress'

US officials announced on Friday that they had closed Breton National Wildlife Refuge to the public after a silver sheen of oil reached the shoreline.

"The refuge closure is important to keep the public safe, to minimise disturbance to nesting colonial sea birds, and to allow personnel conducting cleanup operations and recovery efforts to work safely and efficiently," the US Fish and Wildlife Service said on Friday.

The BBC's Rajesh Mirchandani, on Dauphin Island, an inhabited barrier island three miles (5km) off the coast of Alabama, says there is a faint but distinct smell of oil in the air.

Some scientists say the oil may be spread more widely. Small, black particles have been found in samples taken from below the surface, away from the visible slick, our correspondent adds.

An estimated 5,000 barrels of oil a day has been leaking for 18 days from the well, 50 miles off Louisiana, since an explosion destroyed the Deepwater Horizon rig last month, killing 11 workers.

Although the rig was operated by Transocean, it was leased by BP, which is responsible for cleaning the 3 million gallons that have so far leaked, creating a slick covering about 2,000 sq miles (5,200 sq km).

The company hopes the 98-tonne containment device, once operational, will allow it to collect oil leaking out of the well while it attempts to stop the leak altogether by drilling relief wells nearby.

-------------------------------------------

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
6/19/2010 1:57:45 AM

My friends, when will it end? BP has no answers and are not even sure the relief well will work. Thank you Pat and Luis for the updates.

Tony Hayward makes 6 Million dollars a year and he does not know what is going on with his company drilling a dangerous well in our Gulf?? It was a case of greed over safety and he and others within the company knew this. Now we all suffer without an end in sight.

It is very disturbing.

Sara

+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2010 6:06:01 AM
Well, I just heard that Tony Hayward has been asked to step down. That's the least they can do.

Thanks for the posts Luis, Pat and Sara. My gosh it's so appalling the callousness of so many that should have been doing everything possible to get the spill cleaned up and do what's right for the people and the wild life of the gulf coast regions.

I agree with you Pat...the Texas Congressman made a huge blunder by the comments he made. It seems that there's no shortage of stupidity. What was he thinking?

Hopefully, some real progress is being made finally.

Cheryl

http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!