Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
3/19/2010 12:10:09 AM
Oh My ! This will be soooo good to make ! nmmmnnnmmmm

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

Well, Linda, I'm going to blame this one on you. You mentioned Pumpkin over at Donna's Forum, and the fact that you liked it all year round and not just at Thanksgiving. Well, so do I, so here's a little something you can whip up in your Crockpot any old time.

Pumpkin Cranberry Custard

Ingredients:

1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 cup dried cranberries
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup crushed or whole ginger snap cookies (optional)
Whipped cream (optional)

Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, cranberries and eggs in crock pot slow cooker; mix thoroughly. Cover, cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until done. Serve with crushed or whole ginger snaps and whipped cream.

Have A Terrific Evening My Friends,

Phil

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/19/2010 10:24:52 PM

Phil and Linda,

This recipe sounds like another keeper! I can't wait to try it.

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2010 8:13:33 PM

Hi Linda & Donna,

Glad you both liked the Pumpkin recipes, because as I just told Linda over at the Papa's Kitchen Thread, I have developed a sudden fixation with Pumpkin.

Easy Crock Pot Pumpkin Soup

I found a great crockpot recipe and made a huge vat of this back during one of those Winter Sundays with all of the rain and snow. Smelling the pumpkin soup cooking all day made the house smell ,great, and made everything feel that much cozier from the elements outside. That great smell still is wonderful regardless of the weather outside, so I figured this would be good for Spring as well.

To start with , I chop up a medium onion and mince a few cloves of garlic. Then I add a spoon of olive oil and a mix of a few cups of chicken stock and broth. I generously add thyme, salt (for flavoring) and sage to the mix, along with a couple of spoons sugar(Splenda). Then I add a can of pureed pumpkin and gave everything a mix. The soup cooks for about seven hours and then I add a cup of milk to add a creamy texture. I let the soup warm through with the added milk and then serve.

The onions soften up and the herbs really pop out in the dish, especially the sage. It's a delicious dinner on Sunday night, and then I usually eat some more of it on Monday night with a serving of grilled cheese sandwiches, using whole wheat bread and gruyere and cheddar cheeses. Delish.
Hope You Enjoy This My Friends,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/26/2010 12:24:13 AM

Hello My Friends,

As I said over at the other Thread, I apologize for my extended absence, but I have been tied up elsewhere here at Adland. However, now I'm back, so let's get to cooking.

Here's a little something that's a Healthier take on two of my favorites...

Italian Sausage and White Beans with Sage

Makes about 6 servings.
1 pkg. (5 links) Turkey Italian Sausage
1 lb. dried white beans, soak overnight (Rinse thoroughly and sort)
2 stalks celery, cut into pieces
3-4 large cloves garlic
3 sage leaves plus 10 more for Crockpot
1/2 tsp. ground fennel (optional, but good)
1 can diced tomatoes (I love Muir Glen organic tomatoes)
1/2 cup water (rinse out tomato can and deglaze roasting pan)

In large soup pot, put soaked beans, celery, garlic, and three sage leaves. Add enough water to cover beans by a few inches and cook at low simmer until beans are starting to soften, about one hour and 15 minutes.

While beans are cooking, preheat oven or convection oven to 375 F and roast sausages about 40 minutes, until slightly browned and done through. Let cool enough to handle and cut each sausage into diagonal pieces.

Drain beans, keeping garlic and discarding celery and sage. Chop garlic pieces. Add beans, diagonal cut sausage pieces, 10 sage leaves, chopped garlic, canned tomatoes with juice and ground fennel to Crockpot. Rinse out tomato can with 1/2 cup water, then deglaze roasting pan with that water, scraping off browned drippings, and pour into crockpot. Cook on high 2-3 hours, or until flavors are well blended. Serve hot.

May The Lord Bless & Keep You My Friends,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
3/28/2010 9:11:51 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the invite. It's wonderful to be back among my friends. I don't know about these food forums I wasn't hungry till I got here, not I'm starved, I need a cook.....lol...I have copied most of these recipes to my book thank you for sharing. I don't know what it's going to do to my figure....lol...

Hugs,
Gaby

God Bless Everyone
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!