Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
3/2/2010 2:10:11 AM

Hi Donna,

That pork loin chop sounds absolutely delicious. I will vouch for the dab of white wine for moitness. That really works wonderfully.

I have fixed this Pork Butt in the Crockpot as well, and it;s delicious, just not quite as healthy.

Crock Pot Pork Butt Roast

This recipe came from the recipe book that came with my rival crock pot. I have lost my recipe book so am writing this from memory and experience. This is a wonderful recipe for a tasty, inexpensive, and really easy pork roast. This recipe is for pork butt (shoulder) roast. I do not know if it would work for pork loin or tenderloin roast because they don't have enough fat and may become tough.

Ingredients

• 3-4 lbs boneless pork butt (shoulder)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • salt and pepper
  • any other dry seasoning, your family likes (i use season salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper)
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions

Season both sides of pork roast with your choice of dry seasonings.

1. In a shallow roasting pan brown the roast under the broiler about 5 minutes on each side or you can brown on top the stove in a cast iron skillet with a touch of oil.
  2. This step enhances the flavor and seals the juices in the meat, and renders any excess fat from the roast.
  3. While roast is browning, slice large onion into thick slices and separate into rings.
  4. Place 1/2 of the rings in the bottom of the crock pot.
  5. Take the browned pork roast and place on top of the onion rings in the crock pot then cover with the other half of the onion rings.
  6. Pour the 1/4 cup soy sauce over the top of roast, then pour the 1/2 cup water on sides of roast.
  7. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5 hours.
  8. You may have leftovers depending on family size and is great for sandwiches!
  9. Meat should be falling apart.

Have A Blessed Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2010 10:44:57 PM

Hi Folks,

Since we're fast approaching St. Patrick's Day, see Forum Here, I thought we might fix a little traditional Irish dish...

Easy Crock-Pot Corned Beef & Cabbage

4 C Hot Water

2 Tbsp Cider Vinegar

2 Tbsp Splenda

l Lg. Onion, Cut Into Wedges

8 Sm. Potatoes, Scrubbed & Cut Into Quarters

1-2 lb. Head Cabbage, Cored & Cut Into 10 Wedges

1 3-4 lb. Corned Beef Brisket, w/Spice Pkt.

Seasoning Salt & Ground Pepper to taste

In a 6-quart electric slow cooker, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, & onions, mixing well. Place the corned beef in the mixture, sprinkle with spice pkt., Cover and cook for 6-8 Hrs. on Low.

Remove lid and scatter potato & cabbage wedges over the top. Cover & continue cooking on High for an additional 1-2 Hrs. until Beef is tender.

Slice beef and serve with Potatoes and Cabbage, with cooking juices spooned over the top of the beef to keep it moist.

Have A Great Week & A Happy St Patrick's Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2010 11:09:09 PM
Corned Beef & Cabbage !

Awesome ! I love potatoes and cabbage, carrots ....
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/7/2010 1:33:43 AM

Hi Linda & Everyone,

Linda, if you love it a little spicy, here's a Recipe that you might just love. You do know that my home area here in Davidson County, NC is considered to be the Barbecue Capitol of the world. Here's a Pork Recipe that fits that tradition...

Pulled Pork Barbecue

A pulled pork recipe made with pork roast and barbecue sauce, along with onions and other seasonings.

Ingredients:

• 4 lb pork roast
  • 2 onions, sliced, divided
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 5 or 6 whole cloves
  • 2 cups water
  • 16 oz bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
  • salt and pepper

Preparation:

Place one sliced onion at the bottom of Crock Pot.
Stud pork roast with cloves and season with salt and pepper.
Place roast in slow cooker on top of the sliced onion. Cover with the second sliced onion and add enough water to fill Crock Pot two thirds of the way.
Cover and cook on low 8 to 12 hours.
Remove roast. Remove and discard cloves, bone and fat as well as any water, onions and grease remaining in pot.
When pork roast is cool enough to handle, use a fork or your fingers to pull it apart until the entire roast is shredded.
Return the pulled pork to the crockpot. Mix in the chopped onion and BBQ sauce and cover. Heat on high for 1-3 hours or until the onions are soft.
Serve on large, crusty buns with a mustard based Carolina-style BBQ sauce. Garnish with dill pickle spears, thinly sliced raw onion and pickled pepperoncini (Italian banana peppers). Serve with crisp, homemade slaw. Carolinians would put the cole slaw on the pulled pork sandwiches..that's up to you.

NOTE: The above is the original recipe I was given. I've cooked the roast on high (4-6 hrs) instead of low when I was in a hurry and didn't have that long. I have also done the last part on low and left on to heat while we were at church and then it was ready to eat when we got home. I first used a BBQ sauce that was very thick the first time and it was pretty dry, so since then I've add a little water to it and it turns out perfect.

Hope Y'all Enjoy It,

Phil

Happy St. Pat's Me Friend

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/7/2010 2:12:41 AM
mmmm BBQ Pulled Pork !

My mouth is watering ...
+0

facebook