Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
3/7/2010 3:03:50 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since St. Patrick's Day is fast approaching, it seems only fitting that we should have a Pot of Irish Stew, and I figured that it might as well be a Crockpot...

Irish Stew

Ingredients:

• 1 pound lamb or lean mutton cubes
  • 1 pound carrots, diced
  • 1 pound onions, chopped
  • 1 pound potatoes, diced
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme

Preparation:

Place lamb with thyme in saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for one hour. Add onions, potatoes, carrots. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Adjust seasoning. May be served alone or with cooked green cabbage or sprouts.

Have A Happy St Patick's Day,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2010 12:10:06 AM

Hello My Friends,

Here's another of my favorites, just in time for St. Pat's Day...

Beef, Barley, Vegetable soup

• 3 Pounds beef chuck roast
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3 carrots, shopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon cube
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 28 ounces chopped stewed tomatoes

In a slow cooker , cook chuck roast until; very tender (usually 4-5 hours on high, but can very with different slow cookers).
Add barley and bay leaf during the last hour of cooking.
Remove meat and chop into bite size pieces.
Discard bay leaf, set beef, broth and barley aside
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
Sauté carrots, celery ,onion and frozen mixed vegetables until tender.
Add water , beef bullion cubes, sugar,1/4 teaspoon pepper, chopped stewed tomatoes, and beef/barley mixture.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 12-20 minutes season with salt and additional pepper to taste

Have a Happy & Safe St Patrick's Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2010 2:08:20 AM
Irish Soda Bread with a Citrus Twist ~

Traditionally served on St. Patrick's Day alongside corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread is great any time of the year. Enjoy this version toasted and served with jam for breakfast, or as a side for hearty soups and stews at lunch or dinner.
rated by
22 members
average rating
great
what do you think?
rate it
  • Total Time : 1 hour 5 minutes
  • Prep Time : 15 minutes
  • Cook Time : 40 minutes
  • Servings : 10

ingredients

• 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup dark raisins
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 egg, beaten

directions

step 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
step 2In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until evenly combined. Add the butter pieces. Using clean fingertips or a pastry cutter, rub the butter pieces into the mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. Then add in the walnuts, both types of raisins and the orange zest; mix to distribute evenly.
step 3Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk and the beaten egg. With your hands, knead the dough in the bowl until it just comes together and all ingredients are evenly combined. Form the dough into a round (see Chef’s Note) and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the round all over with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of buttermilk. Use a sharp knife to cut an "x" into the top of the round.
step 4Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, plain or with a bit of jam or butter.

chef's notes

To form the dough into a round, gather it into a ball, place it in the center of the baking sheet, and press down to flatten the top slightly into a thick disk.

Zest is the grated peel of a citrus fruit. The fragrant oil in the zest adds flavor to your recipes. To grate orange zest, remove any stickers from your orange and then wash and dry it. Using a medium-fine kitchen grater, grate just the colored peel of the orange, using a bowl or piece of wax paper to catch the zest. Avoid grating the white pith of the orange because this part tastes bitter.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/13/2010 1:44:15 AM

Thanks Linda,

That Irish Soda Bread sounds delicious. Never thought of adding a Citrus Flavor, would definitely add some extra Zest to the Bread.

Since Springtime is almost upon us and we probably won't have much more Cold Weather, I felt I needed to give you my very favorite Bean Pot dish before it was too late...

Bean Pot Medley

Ingredients:
1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15-1/2 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15-1/2 ounces) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1 can (8-1/2 ounces) baby lima beans, rinsed and drained

1-1/2 cups ketchup

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped red bell pepper

1 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup water

2 to 3 teaspoons cider vinegar

1 teaspoon dry mustard

2 bay leaves

1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Slow Cooker Directions
1.Combine beans, ketchup, onion, bell peppers, brown sugar, water, vinegar, mustard, bay leaves and black pepper in 3-1/2-quart slow cooker; mix well.

2.Cover; cook on LOW 6 to 7 hours or until onion and bell peppers are tender.

3.Remove and discard bay leaves.
Have A Terrific Weekend My Friends,
Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/18/2010 2:21:53 AM

Hello My Friends,

Well, Linda, I'm going to blame this one on you. You mentioned Pumpkin over at Donna's Forum, and the fact that you liked it all year round and not just at Thanksgiving. Well, so do I, so here's a little something you can whip up in your Crockpot any old time.

Pumpkin Cranberry Custard

Ingredients:

1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 cup dried cranberries
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup crushed or whole ginger snap cookies (optional)
Whipped cream (optional)

Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, cranberries and eggs in crock pot slow cooker; mix thoroughly. Cover, cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until done. Serve with crushed or whole ginger snaps and whipped cream.

Have A Terrific Evening My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!