Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
1/20/2016 8:57:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here's a personal favorite of mine, made even easier, thanks to my trusty slow cooker.

Slow-Cooker Stuffed Peppers

large bell peppers
1 1/2
lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
teaspoons olive oil
1/4
cup finely chopped onion
cloves finely chopped garlic
1 1/2
cups cooked white rice
teaspoon kosher salt
1/4
teaspoon black pepper
can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 1/4
cups shredded Cheddar cheese (5 oz)
  • Trim tops off bell peppers; remove ribs and seeds. Set aside.
  • Place beef in large bowl; set aside.
  • In 6-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add chopped onion. Cook until onion softens, stirring every few minutes. Add garlic; cook 60 seconds. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
  • Add rice, salt and pepper to beef. Add cooked onion and garlic; mix to combine. Stuff peppers with beef mixture; arrange in slow cooker. Pour tomato sauce over peppers.
  • Cook on Low heat setting 6 hours; last 30 minutes of cooking, top peppers with cheese. Serves 6.
Have A Great Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1
1/20/2016 9:28:20 PM
Sounds yummy!
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/20/2016 10:16:11 PM
Hi Mary,

Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad that you liked the recipe. Here's another healthier recipe using zucchini, spinach, and bell pepper, layered into a delicious slow-cooker lasagna. And, believe it or not, it's less than 300 calories per serving.

Skinny Slow-Cooker Spinach Lasagna

Ingredients

jar (25.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic tomato basil pasta sauce
can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4
teaspoon crushed red pepper, if desired
yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
uncooked lasagna noodles
1 1/4
cups light ricotta cheese
1 1/2
cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
cups coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach (4 oz)

Directions

• 1 Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mix pasta sauce, tomatoes, crushed red pepper, bell pepper and zucchini. Spread 1 cup tomato mixture in bottom of slow cooker.
  • 2 Layer 3 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces to fit, over sauce in slow cooker. Spread half of the ricotta cheese over noodles; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese and half of the spinach. Top with one-third of the tomato sauce mixture (about 1 1/2 cups). Repeat layering of noodles, cheeses and spinach. Top with remaining 3 noodles and sauce. Save remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese in refrigerator.
  • 3 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until noodles are tender and cooked through. Sprinkle with reserved mozzarella; cover and let stand 10 minutes to melt cheese. Serves 8.
  • Calories 280; Fat 8 g; Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 530 mg; Carbohydrate 34 g; Fiber 3 g; Sugar 6 g; Protein 16 g.
  • Have A Wonderful Wednesday,
  • Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/6/2016 5:07:10 PM
HI Phil,

That sure sounds good, and for once I have all the ingredients So I will try it in the next few days. Always nice to have something planned ahead.

So many times I have saved recipes, needed an ingredient, didn't write it down. Thinking I know what it was and then when I was ready to make it I was missing something, because I got the wrong item. So frustrating.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2016 1:01:01 AM
Hello Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by to visit and thanks for your kind comments. It is indeed frustrating not to have an ingredient you need when you've got a "taste" for a particular dish.

Since today is Super Bowl Sunday, here's a tasty, relatively low-sodium, cheesy dip made with Old El Paso® refried beans and green chilies and served with served with tortilla chips - perfect if you love Mexican cuisine.

Slow Cooker Cheesy Bean Dip

Ingredients

Reynolds™ Slow Cooker Liners
package (16 ounces) mild Mexican pasteurized prepared cheese product with jalapeño peppers, cut into cubes
can (16 ounces) Old El Paso™ refried beans
can (4.5 ounces) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, undrained
pounds tortilla chips, if desired

• Directions
  • Place Reynolds™ Slow Cooker Liners inside a 5- to 6 1/2 -qt slow cooker bowl. Make sure that liner fits snugly against the bottom and sides of bowl and pull the top of the liner over rim of bowl.
  • Mix cheese, beans and chiles in cooker.
  • Cover and cook on Low heat setting 2 to 3 hours or until cheese is melted. Stir until cheese is smooth.
  • Scrape down side of cooker with rubber spatula to help prevent edge of dip from scorching. Serve with tortilla chips. Dip will hold on Low heat setting up to 2 hours; stir occasionally.
  • Calories 120; Fat 6 g; Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 240 mg; Carbohydrate 13 g; Fiber 0 g; Sugar 1 g; Protein 3 g.
  • Have A Great Week,
  • Phil
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!