Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/28/2010 9:45:13 PM

Hi Judy,

The Chili sounds great, and my Sister and my Nephews are looking forward to me fixing it one evening for Supper. Although I no lomger eat read meat, I still love the aroma of a good pot of Chili. Nothing quite like it!

Here's a little something I thought everyone maight like. Sorry I couldn't find a Picture that matches up, but the Recipe's great just the same.

Crockpot Barley Casserole

This delicious and healthy crockpot recipe can be served as a vegetarian main dish or a side dish.

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 6 hours

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
  • 1/2 cup plain or seasoned tomato juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts

Preparation:

In small microwave-safe dish combine olive oil with onion and garlic. Microwave on high for 2 minutes until union is tender. Then combine all ingredients except pine nuts in a 3 quart slow cooker (do NOT use a larger crockpot). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until barley and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with nuts just before serving. 4 servings

If you have a newer crockpot, be sure to check the barley at 4-1/2 hours to see if it's done.

Thanks Again My Friend & God Bless,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/28/2010 10:23:50 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's a few Helpful Hints for Easy Crockpot Cooking

Crockpot Cooking

1. Use cooking spray. Lightly spray with cooking spray prior to adding ingredients. It just makes cleanup a whole lot easier!
  2. How much time? Generally, crockpot meals take 6-8 hours on low and 3-4 hours on high. Remember, 1 hour on high equals 2-2 ½ hours on low.
  3. To brown or not to brown? Although many recipes require you to brown the meat beforehand, it is really not necessary (with one exception). Browning chicken or beef prior to putting in your crockpot simply adds color; it offers no cooking benefits. The one exception is this – all ground meat must be browned before adding to your slow cooker!
  4. Use cheaper cuts of meat. You’ve never cooked a filet mignon in your slow cooker (if you have, let me know how it turned out). Because the crockpot simmers meat over a long period of time, it is better to use cheaper cuts of meat. Round steak, chuck roasts, and other such cuts turn out juicy and delicious in your slow cooker.
  5. Don’t lift the lid! If you’ve ever read anything about a crockpot, they tell you to not lift the lid. It’s logical – if steam is cooking the food and you lift the lid, the steam escapes therefore adding more cooking time.
  6. Fish in a slow cooker? You can cook certain types of fish in your slow cooker; it is added usually during the last half hour of cooking.
  7. Use the correct size slow cooker. Your crockpot should be no more than 2/3 full, with space between the cuts of meat (if there’s more than one piece).
  8. Everyone can enjoy! If you’re like my family, not everyone eats at the same time. Once the meal is cooked, reduce (or keep) the temperature setting to low. Most slow cookers have a “keep warm” setting as well; this is especially nice for toddlers who eat at 5pm and high schoolers who eat at 8pm.

For more helpful hints, along with some Great Recipes, you might want to check out their Newsletter over Natalie's Recipes,

God Bless My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2010 5:49:46 AM

Hi Phil,

The chicken recipe sounds yummy so I am copying it to try it out.

Thanks for sharing!

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2010 11:54:01 PM

Hi Donna,

I know how much you like Chicken, but there's another white meat that you can eat sparingly if you get the leaner cuts.

Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Vegetables

Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:

• 3 lb. boneless pork sirloin roast
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
  • 1/2 cup apple butter
  • 3 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

Preparation:

Heat oil in a heavy skillet and cook pork roast until browned on all sides, turning occasionally. This should take about 10 minutes. While that's cooking, cut the acorn squash into 8 wedges and remove seeds. Do not peel. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Place squash and sweet potatoes in 6-7 quart slow cooker. Top with browned pork roast.

In a small bowl, mix together apple butter, horseradish, cornstarch, allspice, pepper, chicken broth, and thyme. Pour into slow cooker.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 7-9 hours until pork and vegetables are tender. 8 servings

Calories: 410 Fat: 12 grams Sodium: 200 mg
Vitamin A: (100% DV) Vitamin C: (30% DV)

Have A Great One My Friend,

Phil

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2010 1:42:59 AM

Hello Phil,

I buy pork on occasion, especially chops or boneless roast. I'll try your crockpot recipe.

When making pork chops, I like to season them with salt and pepper, brown them in a skillet, then put a few dollops of sour cream on top. Then I place them in a baking dish in the oven. You can add a little white wine to the pan to help keep them moist. I bake them at 350 degrees until done. They take somewhere around 30 minutes.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!