Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
8/19/2010 9:52:19 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since I've been away for the past few days, let's try to come back with a Real Winner! This is definitely a favorite around my house, just the right amount of sweetness, and yet, still quite healthy for you.

Beef Stew with Molasses and Raisins

Ingredients

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons salt, divided

1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided

2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces

5 tablespoons oil, divided

2 medium onions, sliced

1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained

1 cup beef broth

3 tablespoons molasses

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons dried thyme

1 teaspoon celery salt

1 bay leaf

1 small package (8 ounces) baby carrots, cut into halves lengthwise

2 parsnips, diced

1/2 cup golden raisins

Preparation

1. Combine flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Toss beef in flour mixture. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of beef; brown on all sides. Remove browned beef; set aside. Repeat with 2 tablespoons oil and remaining beef.

2.Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add onions; cook and stir 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add tomatoes, broth, molasses, vinegar, garlic, thyme, celery salt, bay leaf and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Add browned beef; boil 1 minute.

3.Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 5 hours or on HIGH 2-1/2 hours. Add carrots, parsnips and raisins. Cook 1 to 2 hours more or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Have A Terrific Week,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/20/2010 1:04:37 AM

Hello My Friends,

Our Good Friend Myrna just stopped by over at Papa's Kitchen and reminded me just how good those Fried Apples could be, but since this is a Crockpot Cooking Thread, how about we Bake some Apples instead.

My former College Buddy from up in Pennsylvania swears that this was an old stand-by in his family home on those icy Pittsburgh winter nights when the cold weather kept them indoors. This dessert has the same flavors as Apple Pie, without the guilt of a fattening crust!

Crock-Pot Baked Apples

Ingredients

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 Gala or Macintosh apples, cored
1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
2 tablespoons orange liquor (optional)

Directions

Preheat a large crock-pot on high heat and preset it for 3 hours. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, walnuts, margarine, and cinnamon. Fill the apples with the filling and place them in the crock-pot. Pour in the apple juice or cider and the liquor, if using. Cover and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high heat until the apples are soft and begin to collapse.

Or, for a real treat when you wake up in the mornings, place everything in the Crockpot at bed time, and cook on Low through the night (6-8 hours). You'll awaken to a wonderful aroma and can treat yourselves to hot baked apples for breakfast.

Have A Wonderful Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2010 8:15:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's one for my Dear Friend Sara, who mentioned some wonderful sounding Thai Spring Rolls the other day, and I did not have any Thai Recipes at hand right at that time. After a little digging, however, here's one that I hope you all will like. It features shredded pork and rice, with a Thai flavor, and it's perfect for the slow cooker. For those, like myself, who like extra spicy tastes, I serve Thai garlic chile paste on the side.

Slow Cooker Thai Pork with Rice

Ingredients

• 1 (3 pound) pork shoulder roast
  • 2 red bell peppers, julienned
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/4 cup unsalted peanut butter
  • 1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced

Directions

1. Place the pork roast, red bell peppers, garlic, teriyaki sauce, and rice wine vinegar in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
  2. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
  3. In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
  4. Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred. Stir the peanut butter into the slow cooker. Return shredded meat to slow cooker, and mix with the sauce to coat. Serve over the cooked rice with a sprinkling of peanuts and green onions.

Have A Super Weekend,

Phil

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/22/2010 12:48:36 AM
Hi Phil,

How did I ever miss this forum, I don't know but sure am glad to have it. Page 16 and I finally made it. Wow. These recipes sound so goooooooooood.

Thanks
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/22/2010 9:41:00 AM
Hey Phil,
I've been following this thread from day one and never posted here. Great recipes and I've used some of them and passed them on to my family as well.
Shalom,
Peter
Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!