Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
8/1/2010 11:34:34 AM

Hi Phil,

God gave us a gem when he gave us Aloe.

I have one growing by the kitchen window.

A wonderful plant for skin problems.

Roger

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/1/2010 5:43:01 PM

Hi Roger,

Yes, He always provides exactly what we need, we're just not quite sharp enough to realize it most of the time. Just as Aloe takes the burn out of your skin, it does the same thing for your Stomach lining over time. It certainly has mine.

Any way, back to today's Crockpot Creation. Here's one that's always great for Sunday dinner, because you can cook it all over night and it's ready when you get home. Matter of fact, this is going to be our Dinner this evening. I prepared everything this morning and started it before going to Church, and it will be "just right" when we sit down for Dinner this evening.

Twenty-Garlic Chicken Dinner

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Olive oil
  • 3 to 3 1/2 lb. Cut-up Frying Chicken
  • 1 large Vidalia Onion sliced
  • 1 medium Garlic about 20 cloves
  • 1/2 cup Low-Sodium Chicken Bouillon

Preparation

1. In small bowl, mix salt, paprika, pepper, and oil to form paste; spread evenly over each chicken piece.

2. In 5-6 qt slow cooker, place onion slices. Arrange chicken over onion. Separate garlic into cloves; do not peel cloves. Place garlic cloves around chicken. Add chicken bouillon. If you use chicken with skin on it, you will not need bouillon.

3. Cover; cook on low setting for 7-8 hours.

4. With slotted spoon, remove chicken, onion and garlic from slow cooker; place on serving platter. Squeeze garlic cloves to use cooked garlic on mashed potatoes, vegetables, or bread.

Have A Blessed & Beautiful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/4/2010 10:38:54 PM

Hi Roger & Everyone,

Since you seem to like Brisket, here's a true Texas-style Brisket, that you can easily fix in your Crockpot. Just takes a little longer, as you'll see.

This slow-cooker recipe comes directly from the heart of a wonderful Texas cook who makes the best brisket in the world! Yay, Papa Louis! He shared it with the family years ago, via my sister-in-law. I've changed it from time to time by adding ingredients to make it more Mexican, to serve it with tortillas for example, but usually I leave it as is, and serve it with fresh rolls.

Slow-Cooked, Texas-Style Beef Brisket

Ingredients

• 8 pounds untrimmed beef brisket
  • 1 cup strong black coffee
  • 1 (14 ounce) bottle ketchup
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can cola carbonated beverage
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed

Directions

1. Place the beef brisket in a large slow cooker with the fat side up. Pour the coffee over the meat. Cook the brisket on LOW for 24 hours.
  2. Meanwhile, stir together the ketchup, cola beverage, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, liquid smoke, and brown sugar in a bowl until well blended. Refrigerate until needed.
  3. After 24 hours, remove and discard any fat from the brisket. Use a fork to pull apart and shred the meat. Pour the sauce over the meat, stirring to coat evenly, and cook 1 hour longer.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/8/2010 6:52:33 PM

Hello My Friends.

Here's a favorite of mine from my Crockpot files. It's a very Zesty and Hearty Chili recipe, just loaded with plenty of those good, healthy vegetables. Garnish with a little sour cream and cheese, if desired, and serve with some Herb Toast (Recipe follows).

Slow Cooker Vegetable Chili

Ingredients

• 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chili powder
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, chickpeas, zucchini, onion, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, chili powder, green chile peppers, garlic, oregano, cumin and salt.
  2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours OR on high for 3 to 4 hours.

Herbed Toast

Ingredients

2 lebanese round flat bread

2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons melted butter

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Split the bread horizontally. Brush all four circles with the oil or butter; sprinkle the combined herbs over the bread. Put them on oven trays and bake for 7 to 10 minutes, depending on your oven. You can cut the bread in pieces before baking or carefully break them up after they are baked and cooled, this gives a more"rustic" look.

For variations add: garlic, cayenne, paprika or some fresh grated Parmesan.

Wishing You A Delightful Week,

Phil

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/8/2010 8:07:18 PM

Phil,

I love anything that has paprika.

The sad thing is that my wife isn't too keen on beans so I rarely get those

Roger