Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
8/22/2010 9:55:58 PM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you found my second Recipe Thread as well, and I hope that you liked the "Baked" Apples. Keeping in the Theme that we started over at Papa's Kitchen, here's another traditional Amish Recipe, but slightly updated, so that it may be prepared in the Crockpot...

Amish Style Chicken & Corn Soup

Ingredients:

4 pounds Roaster Chicken
4 quarts water or chicken broth
2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
4 carrots, coarsely chopped
8 stalks celery, coarsely chopped, divided
1 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
1 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 cup egg noodles

Directions:

Combine chicken with water or chicken stock, coarsely chopped onions, carrots, half of the celery and saffron threads in the crockpot. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.

Remove and reserve the chicken until cool enough to handle; then pick the meat from the bones. Cut into bite sized pieces.

Strain the saffron broth through a fine sieve and return to crockpot.

Add the corn, remaining celery, parsley, and noodles to the crockpot. Cook on high heat for 1/2 hour until noodles are tender.

Wishing You A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/22/2010 11:23:38 PM

Hello Peter,

I'm so glad that you've joined in, and I hope that you've gotten a few good ideas that you could use over the past weeks.

Here's a little something special in Honor of your visit, although I must confess, it's also one of my favorites as well.

Cholent is perhaps the most typical Eastern European food to prepare for Shabbat. Its popularity can be attributed to both its connection to history and to the ease with which one can make it, and the use of a Crockpot makes this dish exceptionally easy to make and serve, even if you are Shomer Shabbat.

Cholent/Chulent with Meat & Potatoes

Things You'll Need:

• 1-2 lbs. of stew meat
  • 1-2 cans of beans (any type)
  • 2-3 medium potatoes (I usually use sweet potatoes instead)
  • 2-3 handfuls of mushrooms
  • 2-3 large carrots
  • 1 cup of barley
  • 1/2 of a large onion
  • 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Water (I always eyeball this measurement)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • flour, as needed to thicken

Directions

Cooking in a crockpot is ideal if you keep Shabbat, because you can put your Cholent on right before Shabbat starts, and it will still be warm the next day, without your having to touch the settings.
Chop your veggies. The smaller you chop them, the more likely they will be to disintegrate into your stew
Use a crockpot liner so it will be easier to clean. Add the meat and vegetables, and mix these around.
Add the bay leaf and other seasonings. Pour enough water into the pot to almost cover your meat and vegetables.
Set the time for 8 or 10 hours. The crockpot should be set to switch to "warm" once this time period is up.
Have A Terrific Week My Friend,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/23/2010 9:32:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

Let's start off the Week with a recipe which is not only delicious, it's quite good for you as well.

Broccoli and Beef Pasta

INGREDIENTS

cups broccoli florets or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli, thawed

onion, thinly sliced

1/2

teaspoon dried basil

1/2

teaspoon dried oregano

1/2

teaspoon dried thyme

can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained

3/4

cup beef broth

pound lean ground round

cloves garlic, minced

cups cooked rotini pasta

3/4

cup (3 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan cheese

tablespoons tomato paste

PREPARATION:

1. Layer broccoli, onion, basil, oregano, thyme, tomatoes with juice and broth in slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 2-1/2 hours.
  2. Cook and stir beef and garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until brown, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat. Add beef mixture to slow cooker. Cover; cook 2 hours.
  3. Stir in pasta, cheese and tomato paste. Cover; cook 30 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture is heated through. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese, if desired.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/24/2010 5:07:48 AM
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the Cholent recipe. There are many variations for this delicious meal and the different cultures have their own specialities.
You'll find those that add chick peas, chicken and many other meats in this dish. What's amazing is that you can use the cheapest variety of meat and it comes out soft tender and tastes great.
Most people here use a hot plate to prepare the dish. After bringing it to a boil it's transfered to the hot plate and the pot is first covered with newspaper and then a towel or two. Since the Orthodox Jews don't cook on Shabbat this is done before sundown on Friday and then left on the hot plate until lunch time on Saturday. In the morning every one takes a peek to see how it's doing. Those that like it more soupy will leave the pot closed with the news paper and towels but those that like a drier version remove the newspaper and towels and leave the pot lid open a bit until you see your favorite texture and then close the lid until it's time to serve the meal. For those that also add Chicken after so many hours of cooking the chicken bones melt in your mouth.
Shalom,
Peter

Quote:

Hello Peter,

I'm so glad that you've joined in, and I hope that you've gotten a few good ideas that you could use over the past weeks.

Here's a little something special in Honor of your visit, although I must confess, it's also one of my favorites as well.

Cholent is perhaps the most typical Eastern European food to prepare for Shabbat. Its popularity can be attributed to both its connection to history and to the ease with which one can make it, and the use of a Crockpot makes this dish exceptionally easy to make and serve, even if you are Shomer Shabbat.

Cholent/Chulent with Meat & Potatoes

Things You'll Need:

• 1-2 lbs. of stew meat
  • 1-2 cans of beans (any type)
  • 2-3 medium potatoes (I usually use sweet potatoes instead)
  • 2-3 handfuls of mushrooms
  • 2-3 large carrots
  • 1 cup of barley
  • 1/2 of a large onion
  • 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Water (I always eyeball this measurement)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • flour, as needed to thicken

Directions

Cooking in a crockpot is ideal if you keep Shabbat, because you can put your Cholent on right before Shabbat starts, and it will still be warm the next day, without your having to touch the settings.
Chop your veggies. The smaller you chop them, the more likely they will be to disintegrate into your stew
Use a crockpot liner so it will be easier to clean. Add the meat and vegetables, and mix these around.
Add the bay leaf and other seasonings. Pour enough water into the pot to almost cover your meat and vegetables.
Set the time for 8 or 10 hours. The crockpot should be set to switch to "warm" once this time period is up.
Phil
Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/24/2010 11:31:49 PM

Hi Peter,

So glad that you liked my Recipoe for Cholent. As I am sure your aware, this year Rosh Hashanah starts on Wednesday evening, September 8, and then the Jewish New Year is quickly followed by Yom Kippur (Sept. 18), Sukkot (Sept. 23) and Simchat Torah (Sept. 29). So, this will be a busy month around your house I'm sure, and now is of course a good time to start planning for the many festive meals.

I have several Jewish Friends, both here in the High Point and Thomasville area, as well as down in the Charlotte, NC area, and this is one of my favorite times of year to cook for them. Of course, I love several of the more Traditional foods, myself as well. I'll put my favorite recipe for Sweet Potato & Carrot Tzimmes, and of course, my recipe for Honey Cake, over at Papa's Kitchen sometime next week, probably after September 1st, so keep an eye peeled.

Today, I went with a more traditional meal, which I often prepare in my Crockpot at home. This particular recipe uses my Dutch Oven, and although I'm not sure if my version is Kosher or not, I hope that you can still adjust the recipe so that you can fix it as well. I'm very partial to Lamb, and although that's another meat which I can only allow myself sparingly, I'll probably have to make this up for my family at least by this weekend.

Rustic Lamb Stew

Ingredients

• 5 pound(s) boneless lamb shoulder or boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 2 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
  • 6 clove(s) garlic, sliced
  • 2 pound(s) carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 medium (onions) cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup(s) tomato paste
  • 1 cup(s) dry white wine
  • 10 sprig(s) fresh thyme
  • 1 can(s) (14 to 14 1/2 ounces, or 1 3/4 cups) chicken broth
  • 1 bag(s) (16 ounces) frozen peas
  • Crusty bread (optional)
  • Directions

1. Pat lamb dry with paper towels. In 6- to 8- quart Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add lamb, in 4 batches, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per batch or until well browned on all sides, adding more oil if necessary, and transferring lamb with slotted spoon to medium bowl as it browns. (You may need to reduce heat to medium if oil in Dutch oven begins to smoke.) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
    2. Reduce heat to medium. In same Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic, carrots, and onions, and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, salt, allspice, and pepper; cook 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, then wine, and heat to boiling, stirring until browned bits are loosened from bottom of Dutch oven; boil 5 minutes. Return lamb with its juices to Dutch oven. Stir in thyme sprigs and chicken broth; heat to boiling.
    3. Cover Dutch oven and place in oven. Bake stew 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat is fork-tender. Skim and discard fat from liquid; discard thyme sprigs. Stir in frozen peas; heat through. Serve with crusty bread if you like. Spoon stew into shallow soup bowls or spoon desired amount into freezer-safe containers

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!