Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
8/24/2010 11:38:49 PM

Hi Guys,

Is this any good?

Vegetarian Crockpot Enchiladas

1-3/4 lbs. canned crushed tomatoes in tomato purée
14 ounces chunky style prepared salsa
6 ounces tomato paste
2 lbs. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb. corn kernels, thawed if frozen
1/4 lb. canned diced mild green chilies, drained
1-1/2 Tbs. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
5 corn tortillas
2 ounces olive slices, drained

Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Pour about 1 cup of mixture into the bottom of an electric slow cooker on low heat. Spread evenly and top with 1-1/2 tortillas, cutting to fit pot. Spread 1/3 of remaining tomato mixture over top. Repeat layering process, ending with tomato mixture. Spread top evenly. Sprinkle with olives. Cover and cook about 5 hours. Serve hot. This recipe serves 5 people.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/25/2010 1:29:29 AM

Hi Roger,

I would say not only is it Good, it sounds absolutely Delicious. You had me a little worried there for a minute when you said "mild green chilies", but then you immediately redeemed yourself with the 1-1/2 Tbs of Cumin and the 1/2 tsp of Garlic to put the "zest" back into it. I do love my Cumin. Matter of fact, here's a rather unusual recipe that I doubt that too many have ever seen before...

Cumin Pumpkin Soup

• 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin (not pie filling)
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup lowfat milk
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • Fresh sage leaves
  • Popcorn and pumpkin seeds, for garnish

In a medium saucepan, whisk together pumpkin, broth, milk, and cumin. Add bay leaves and set pan over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, remove bay leaves and season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Garnish with sage, popcorn and pumpkin seeds before serving.

Thanks Again My Friend & Have A Great Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/26/2010 3:29:12 AM

Hello My Friends,

This evening I have a real treat for you all. Here's an easy meal using the slow cooker that combines stew beef and pineapple for a wonderful sweet and sour dish which is delicious served on a bed of steamed white rice. Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Island Beef

Ingredients

• 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
  • 2 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
  • 2 large onions, cut into wedges
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges

Directions

1. Drain the pineapple juice into a slow cooker, reserving the pineapple chunks. Place the beef, onions, beef broth, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, garlic, seasoned salt, paprika, and black pepper into the slow cooker with the juice. Mix well, cover, and cook on Low until the beef is tender, 6 to 6 1/2 hours.
  2. Increase the setting to High and stir in green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and brown sugar. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar until smooth; stir the mixture into the slow cooker, blending well. Cover and cook for 1 more hour. Just before serving, lightly stir in the tomatoes and reserved pineapple chunks.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/26/2010 9:24:37 PM
Hello My Friends,

First of all, no, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. I'm trying something a little different this time. If you've been over to my Papa's Kitchen Thread, you'll probably recognize the tiitle of today's dish, Blueberry Buckle. That's right, the same delicious Dessert, just prepared differently. Hope you'll try this recipe, one way or the other, the choice is yours. It's delicious either way.

This recipe orginally came from a copy of Good Housekeeping's Quick & Simple magazine, with an article entitled "Oprah's Favorite Summer Treats!" I wondered what they could be and I was tickled to learn that one of Oprah's favorites was also one of mine, a Blueberry Buckle, or Cobbler. However, I knew that I could find a way to convert this recipe to my favorite way of being Quick & Simple: In other words, I used the CrockPot.

This serves 4, in two ramekins which you put inside of a 6qt crockpot. If you'd like to omit the step of adding ramekins and if you only have a large CrockPot (4qts or larger), simply double the recipe to serve 8, in order to ensure that there is enough inside of the crockpot so it won't burn on you. As a rule of thumb, CrockPots work the best when they are at least 2/3 of the way full. I also cut the sugar content back from the original Recipe, and I used plain non-fat yogurt instead of buttermilk.

Crockpot Blueberry Buckle Recipe

Crumble:

--2 T granulated sugar
--2T dark brown sugar
--1/4 cup of flour
--1/4 t ground cinnamon

--2 T butter, melted

Filling:
--2 cups fresh blueberries (if you do not have access to fresh, use unsweetened frozen)
--1/2 T lemon juice
--1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt
--1/2 cup flour
--3 T granulated sugar
--1 egg

In a large glass bowl, mix all ingredients for the filling, except for the blueberries. Wash and pick any remaining stems off of your blueberries, and then toss them in the bowl with the filling. Set aside.

In a different glass bowl, melt your butter, and add the dry ingredients. Mix. The crumbs will be moist, and crumbly.

If you are using ramekins, place them into the bottom of your crockpot to ensure a proper fit. Spray the ramekins with cooking spray. If you are going to put the batter directly into the crockpot, spray the stoneware with cooking spray.

Put the blueberry filling evenly into the ramekins, or dump directly into your crockpot. Add the crumb topping.

Cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours, removing the lid of the crockpot during the last 45 minutes or so to crisp up the topping. This dessert is finished when the crumb topping has set and is no longer dough-y. I cooked ours on high for exactly 4 hours. The crumb topping was set, and was a bit crisp on the outer edges, but remained a bit damp in the center. This didn't bother us, but if you'd like it set a bit more, cook longer.

Hope Your Thursday's Terrific,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/27/2010 6:44:10 PM

Hello My Friends,

The Weekend's Finally here, and I've got a Taste for Turkey, so here's a really simple dish which you can just pop in the Crockpot, and no one has to know that you didn't slave over a hot oven for hours.

Herbed Turkey Breast with Orange Sauce

INGREDIENTS

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 boneless skinless turkey breast (2 to 3 pounds)
1‑1/2 cups orange juice

Directions

Place onion in slow cooker. Combine garlic, rosemary and pepper in small bowl; set aside. Cut slices about three-fourths of the way through turkey at 2-inch intervals. Rub garlic mixture between slices.

Place turkey, cut side up, in slow cooker. Pour orange juice over turkey. Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours.

Serve sauce from slow cooker with sliced turkey.

Have A Fantastic Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!