Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Profile Comments
1/27/2010 4:42:04 PM
I have read a wide variety of comments posted on profiles. I'll admit that I have deleted two of the comments on my profile because I don't want my profile to be a place for others to place their ads without even saying anything to me. I like to see comments that are friendly and for that person. Comments that contribute to this being a friendly place and more in the line of getting to know something about that person are what I like to see. I don't feel it is a place to advertise my business on someone else's profile. I see that some have not allowed any comments on their profile. I'd rather see a few comments if they want to delete the ones with ads in them. I think it helps us all be a part of this community. What do you think?
Cheryl Maples, LMT Catch Your Dream 727-504-4721 cheryl.maples@gmail.com https://cherylmaples.myitworks.com/ultimatemakeover
+0
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Profile Comments
1/27/2010 5:54:25 PM
Hello Cheryl,

Comments on profile or any of our posts in forums are great addition and helps the community as a whole with all the new content cues picked up by the search spiders.

With that said I see many folks just running around posting comments on profiles for the attention and they always seem to include "Oh, by the way visit my website with a url.

No matter how friendly the greeting seems it is still a kinder, gentler form of spamming. Why do I say this? Because these same folks seldom if ever come into the forums and add content or anything else to the conversation. This is AD-LAND so the advertising of opportunity and products are to be expected and deleted.

Failing to follow up with a conversation after a friend invite is just nonsense and another form of spam.

Also a pet peeve of mine is the frequent new forum invites with nothing more than ad, as content and no follow-up in the conversation by the forum owner.

If you want this to be more of a community than a place to place an ad, then perhaps one (no one in particular) should look at their own posts and see if you/they
(no one in particular) have actually started a conversation instead of just placing another ad. A forum with threads that have multiple posts in them drives more traffic than opening a new forum every time you want to blast your friends list with a spam message. Plus it makes you look more knowledge and professional, garnering the right attention.

I do classes on personal branding and the proper use of social media for 12SecondCommuters on Monday nights. Maybe some of these folks should attend.

That's my 2 cents,
Jim Allen III

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+0
Flash Smith

1053 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/27/2010 7:31:19 PM
Quote:
Hello Cheryl,

Comments on profile or any of our posts in forums are great addition and helps the community as a whole with all the new content cues picked up by the search spiders.

With that said I see many folks just running around posting comments on profiles for the attention and they always seem to include "Oh, by the way visit my website with a url.

No matter how friendly the greeting seems it is still a kinder, gentler form of spamming. Why do I say this? Because these same folks seldom if ever come into the forums and add content or anything else to the conversation. This is AD-LAND so the advertising of opportunity and products are to be expected and deleted.

Failing to follow up with a conversation after a friend invite is just nonsense and another form of spam.

Also a pet peeve of mine is the frequent new forum invites with nothing more than ad, as content and no follow-up in the conversation by the forum owner.

If you want this to be more of a community than a place to place an ad, then perhaps one (no one in particular) should look at their own posts and see if you/they
(no one in particular) have actually started a conversation instead of just placing another ad. A forum with threads that have multiple posts in them drives more traffic than opening a new forum every time you want to blast your friends list with a spam message. Plus it makes you look more knowledge and professional, garnering the right attention.

I do classes on personal branding and the proper use of social media for 12SecondCommuters on Monday nights. Maybe some of these folks should attend.

That's my 2 cents,
Jim Allen III

Hi Jim,

I beg to disagree with you on the spam. Some people consider spam as 1 message in the correct format. Everyone has their own opinion for Spam. This is an advertising community and that is what people are doing with the exception of a few forums where community relations are posted. I think Everyone (except a Very FEW) are doing a Great Job in holding this community together.

With that said I will add one more thing. To Each His Own!!

Flash
Have a Great Day to You and Yours
Flash
+0
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2010 8:20:07 PM
The guilty tend to speak out first when they are faced with the truth, that is they are the offenders.

Just because this is a advertising based community does not mean rampant spamming is the preferred method of building relations. Greeters are welcome in any community, it makes new members welcome. Thanks to those whose purpose is for this reason.

I am controversial I know, but I do not spend my day posting to profile comments. If the shoe fits wear them or get a new pair if you don't like the feel or how they appear. Add to the conversation instead of distracting from it.

Jim Allen III

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Cheryl,

That's my 2 cents,
Jim Allen III

Hi Jim,

I beg to disagree with you on the spam. Some people consider spam as 1 message in the correct format. Everyone has their own opinion for Spam. This is an advertising community and that is what people are doing with the exception of a few forums where community relations are posted. I think Everyone (except a Very FEW) are doing a Great Job in holding this community together.

With that said I will add one more thing. To Each His Own!!

Flash
Have a Great Day to You and Yours
Flash

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2010 10:33:42 PM
Jim, I am interested in your classes ... ha ha

I feel I am rather boring and need to be better about what I say ...

I Thank you and Cheryl !

Linda

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!