Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Introduce yourself!
11/25/2005 2:07:53 AM
Larry, I think I know what you mean but let me tell you this... You are gonna get what you pay for. If you go for free or cheap - that is what you will get! You will be disappointed and you will DEFINITELY waste time. If I were you I would visit http://www.LindaCaroll.com and have a GOOD look around. I recommend Linda highly - for website creation and hosting. You can check my website if you like (link below) to see the awesome standard of her work. Larry, for what it is worth... pay a decent amount and get it done right the FIRST time. Gary Simpson
+0
11/25/2005 9:28:14 AM
Hi Larry; ======================================= I look forward to researching and moving forward with this with the assistance from others here at AdlandPro ======================================= You mentioned that it's a service business, but didn't say what type. It's a lot easier to offer suggestions if/when I know what kind of business it is. *wink* What type of service business does your friend have? : ) Linda P.S. I'm glad to hear he knows and understands the value of word of mouth. Most business owners don't, strangely enough. And I say that from experience.
+0
11/25/2005 10:30:37 AM
Hi again and Thanks for the replies :) I have visited Gary snd Linda's sites. They are terrific! I can see that it would be good for me to share a few personal details to make it more clear where I'm at. I am disabled and on a fixed income. Therefore, my need to start with low expenditure is a literal necessity. It isn't about being stingy or unappreciative of the value and quality found in better tools and services at all. I will be able to upgrade sooner rather than later. I just have to start somewhere and can't afford what I want right out of the starting gate. On the other hand, ironicaly, the field of services to market is in finance and investments. My JV or Business Partner is a successfyl trader. He is a friend and I consider the basis for the JV as perhaps the best possible circumstance. You see, his side of the equation provides what I cannot. And, my contribution provides what he cannot. Overall, having a relationship already in friendship could be the most important asset in the final analysis. As for the montary side, needless to say, after just a few new clients the funds for me to upgrade and refine the web presence will be there. I value the opportunity to learn and dialogue here at AdlandPro. Frankly, I don't know if a website is necessary or not at the very beginning. I am aware that some marketers do well in list building through simple classifieds and offering reports or an ezine via email to start. Thanks again- Larry
+0
11/25/2005 11:47:45 AM
Hi Larry; First of all, please understand that I'm not trying to rain on the parade here. Mostly, I want to give you some information that might help set you on the right track. I'd like to reply to a few things you said, and give you some food for thought. 1) Frankly, I don't know if a website is necessary ... There are many "marketers" that start with classifieds and free reports, yes. I started my sewing site with a classified and free report. Lots of people do that with "how to make money online" stuff, too. But a stock trader? Some industries demand a high level of credibility. Stock trading is one of them. To look amateur is certain death. I think a professional website is a given. Keep in mind that whatever you do for this guy online, you are creating his *reputation* online. In his industry, which demands a high credibility level to succeed, you can do him a service - or a disservice -based on what you do. 2) having a relationship already in friendship could be the most important asset in the final analysis. A lot of people think this. Unfortunately, it's wrong. The biggest mistake people make is going into business relationships based on personal relationships. Most people start a business with a friend or family member, or bring in a friend or family member into their business. If both members are truly the "best qualified" for the position, then - yes - it can work. But if all parties are not the *best person* for the job, it can end up putting strain on the personal relationship. A very common scenario is one I'm infinitely familiar with. A business owner will get a friend or relative to build their website. Then, the website doesn't make a penny. So they ask me to look at it. I have to tell them that a website is a part of their overall marketing strategy, and the person that developed it obviously knows nothing about marketing, much less marketing online where there is no face to face contact. They then have a decision to make. Accept that their friend/relative didn't know what they were doing and hire me. Or defend their friend/relative and have a website that's never going to make any money. If they hire me, what usually happens is that when their website starts making money, they have to face the fact that the friend/relative didn't know what they were doing (even though they *said* they did) and it has potential to affect the relationship, especially if they sunk money into it because of recommendations of their friend/relative. 3 You see, his side of the equation provides what I cannot. And, my contribution provides what he cannot. Okay, so he brings his knowledge of stock trading to the table. What are you bringing to the table? Do you know how to build a web presence that works and gives him credibility? Do you know how to promote his services in a manner that will give him credibility online? Do you know online marketing? Based on what? These are the questions you need to ask. The most difficult thing online is the credibility factor. The majority of consumers judge the credibility of a website by the design and the layout of content. Some categories are more forgiving than others. For example, if a stay at home Mom builds a website to sell baby blankets that she knits or sews, people will be more forgiving. If that same Mom starts out with a classified ad, no one will think any less. They'll still buy. If a stay at home Mom puts her site into a banner rotation program because she doesn't know how else to get traffic, no one will judge her for it. In stock trading, his online presence has to be comparable to the top of the line stock traders or you will harm his credibility. People won't take him seriously. It's *his* reputation you're building, not yours. Each time I build a website, I look to see who is at the top as far as success and credibility goes. I realize I need to meet or beat that if I truly want to give the client a foot in their industry online. So, the question become this; does your contribution truly provide what he can not? Does you have the expertise and experience establishing a web presence and marketing online that he lacks? If you don't have that experience yet, are you willing to get it - on your own - before you even touch or tackle the job of building *his* reputation online? See, many people see an "offline" person, and see an opportunity to bring them online at mutual benefit. But, it's only "mutual" benefit if you truly have the experience and expertise that they lack. If you don't have that yet, I'd recommend that you choose a product that's of interest to you and learn to build a website and market online using yourself as the "guinea pig" first. Do I think you can do it? Sure. I did, and plenty of others have, too. I think we can do anything we make up our minds to do. Pick the goal, and plan the steps to get there. But, learning on someone else is seldom a good idea. I've been building websites and marketing online for 10 years. Even today, when I want to "test" a new concept, I test it on one of my OWN sites before I ever, ever, test on a client. I keep several hobby sites online for that very purpose. 4) I am disabled and on a fixed income. Therefore, my need to start with low expenditure is a literal necessity. Some of the most successful people online are successful precisely because failure was NOT an option. People that have a "day job" or spouse to fall back on don't have the same level of necessity. I was one of those people. When I got onlin 10 years ago, I was a single mother unable to work "offline" for reasons I won't get into here. If I didn't "make it" my kid wouldn't eat. It was that simple. The really neat thing is that time and money are both commodities. Often, when you can't spend one, you can spend the other. Don't have the money? Spend the time to learn. It truly works. I know a fellow that runs a very successful business. He is blind and refused to live on what small pittance he gets. He saw the Internet as an opportunity to change HIS life, too. So he got a computer and a screen reader - and today runs a very successful consulting business. He made himself the 'guinea pig' and tested his learning and his techniques on himself before he accepted clients. Being on disability probably gives you a drive to succeed that most people with day jobs and hobby sites will never have. If you do it in the right order, and learn first, before you work on other people's web presence, you could become a force to contend with. But, that's your choice. It depends on whether you jump in at the shallow end and learn to swim before you jump in the deep end without knowing how to swim. That's your choice, too. : ) Linda
+0
11/25/2005 4:50:42 PM
Thanks Linda, I am very open-minded and teachable. I have a familiarity with competitive sites in the field. I agree with you completely. However, unbelievable as it is there are some Trading ezines online that do just list banner ads fot educational courses and services. I am not arguing a case for that. It is just amazing to me that this type of marketing is actually being done. What it is is really affiliate marketing. That is not precisely the same as my situation but it is similar. I also have a few products that I plan to include on my site or ezine with affilate sales. I do not want to design the presentation as the example above- a page full of banners. But links in a report, pdf, mini-course or ezine while providing information would seem entirely appropriate. As long as it is of value and is relevant to the trader or would-be trader. Of course, I am hesitant to reveal all details of what I have in mind in a public forum. But, in general the refrral to the other trader while very important, is but one cog in the wheel. One must have a competitive edge. There is one already built-in with this trader's modus operandi which sets his service apart from the pack. As for me I have a concept for testing in mind. Perhaps, by testing on myself. I can put up something for my own affiliate marketing separate from the trading site, if I understand you correctly. You are so correct in assessing the need for professionalism in the invesment field. I do want to provide dignity in the process. I was just thinking that a suitable Logo and typeface and copy for a mailing list, e-zine, pdf could meet the need without a full-blown site at first. Anyway, excuse my lack of focus. At this point the implementation part is more of a challenge than the conceptual. I feel prepared to start on a report or mini-course series than with a site concept per se. If i could afford it, I'd be signing up for your services right now. Thanks so much Larry
+0