Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: What about Respect in Making a Difference?
2/8/2009 7:05:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

You folks have a heap of knowledge going on here.  Very interesting.

You have heard of the old saying "bite your tongue" so you will not say something you will regret.  I think that is a good thing to remember, I know I am still working on biting my tongue.  I have been one to open mouth insert foot.  How come we have to get so old to learn so much?   Happy trails to all and keep the respect coming.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Kim
Kim Stilwell

273 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/8/2009 7:47:32 PM
Myrna,    Because it takes us that long to "Start" to figure out what's going on "outside" of us!  According to Developmental Psychology we are born with a foot in our mouth!  It's called "Egotistical," or believing the world revolves around "me."  Ever notice how with the youngsters life is all about them?  I am 47 and talking to a mature 22 yr old girl, LPN along with me today.  I suddenly noticed that "we" were staying focused on her life and my comments about me were like an interruption if anything.  ha ha!  Before I got upset I remembered when I was her age and used to talk to an old lady at the place I worked, and as I talked she just gave me responsive words of wisdom.  To me she was a great lady!  So I suddenly "relaized," ..."Shut up and listen Kim, that's your place today."  And it was Ok, because I could "see" that the girl was enjoying and maybe needing to just talk some things out, while somebody listened.  Don't feel bad, I get ahead of myself often too and have to remind myself to stop and think first.  It's probably one of life's big lessons that is reserved for the more ancient in wisdom.  ha ha!  Kim
+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/9/2009 8:36:25 AM

Hello Jean-Marie!

When looking at the 2 scenarios you brought back to us here, I can just agree with you that there is a need for expression of the differences in a smooth and courteous manner and taking the time to Listen first to what is being expressed with all of my heart and head - not while thinking at what I am gonna say after he's or she's done. I so often find that very few people listen really to what is being said... in a couple relationship, it is so necessary to the harmony and longevity of the relationship; in the workplace, here again communication is fundamental ans so often the leadership could learn so much by listening tp their employees instead of thinking they have the Truth and were not afraid of loosing their authority... so here we are back to the importance of self confidence, self trust, self respect.

and, when you say...

"It is the ability to have & voice the contrary viewpoint or opinion, in a non-threatening manner, with courtesy and diplomacy that will earn respect.  Voicing agreement when one disagrees or displaying apathy concerning a topic that truly matters to someone is dishonest, and  can cause a perception that you do not respect yourself, nor the person you are communicationg with."

This is so TRUE! I was just pointing to a situation that I see around me so too often, where someone is really looking at expressing their different view point and then getting into an argument about convincing the other about how right I am or how wrong he or she is... In these situations, there is no listening in the first place - and I was relating to this from the listening aspect from your 6 important ones - second, there is a will, a determination to prove my point - third, there is judgement about the other point of view and - finally, there is a duality going on between what is right or wrong... Here, I feel there is not much chance for RESPECT!

Blessings to You Jean Marie!

Alain

+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/9/2009 8:52:35 AM

Hello Roger!

I hear you so very well My friend...

and, you see... you bring back here the fundamental of Self-Respect in the first place... I must learn about myself, about my own limitations, about my strenghts and my weaknesses because all of this is part of who I am - My Uniqueness... and, then, I must respect myself in all of these aspects... and, then, I have to take these into considerations in my ability to communicate with others in a respectful manner for them as for myself.

And, as Jean marie said as well... this is a whole life process because we are never done learning about ourselves or others.

While me personally I might need some time to reflect, to digest what has been said before I can come back with the proper answer... You might need to interrupt to express it right away and that is allright... so, we can see that if we want to be able to communicate together in a respectful manner because we care about each other it might needs some efforts on both sides to come to a way of doing that will serve us both. Learning to deal with all of these Differences is quite a challenge very often and it involves LOVE - Caring for!

Your point:

"While we go about our normal lives we meet people without any regard to their challenges and judge them accordingly. Sometimes people make mistakes  or even have "they always do that" moments. Our respect is sometimes missing or misplaced."

So TRUE! Thank you so much for bringing it and sharing here with us about your own limitations... Lov!

Blessings,

Alain

+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/9/2009 9:00:11 AM

Dear Amanda,

You might be new to the art of poetry, but the poem you share with us here is a real "chef d'oeuvre" in my own opinion... and, Thank You so much for sharing!

Poetry is certainly not one of my talent - at least for now ;-) - though I like writing... but, do not do it really as I should - I think!

Happy to see you Accepting and Loving Yourself More... so good to see! I want to Thank You for being here for me , for us, and for being My Friend!

Alain

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!