Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/24/2013 2:33:20 AM

In 1781, the captain of the slave ship
Zong had ordered 133 slaves to be thrown overboard so that insurance payments could be collected. Together with
the meeting of the British Anti Slavery Society, and his reading The History and Abolition of the Slave Trade by Thomas Clarkson, this event probably inspired Turner to paint The Slave Ship. Although slavery had been outlawed in the British Empire since 1833, Turner and many other abolitionists believed that it should be outlawed around the world. (Wikipedia)

Here is a short yet wonderful video consecrated to William Turner's masterpiece.

Publicado el 17/12/2012

Joseph Mallord William Turner, Slave Ship (Slavers Throwing Overboard the Dead and Dying, Typhoon Coming On), 1840 (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)

Speakers: Lori Landay & Beth Harris

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/24/2013 9:06:40 PM

This is interesting Miguel:

As he grew older, Turner became more eccentric. He had few close friends except for his father, who lived with him for thirty years, eventually working as his studio assistant. His father's death in 1829 had a profound effect on him, and thereafter he was subject to bouts of depression. He never married, although he had two daughters by Sarah Danby, one born in 1801, the other in 1811.

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/24/2013 9:28:45 PM

This is taken from a paper which I will forward to you.

In 1829 Turner

exhibited a fairly large group of 'England and Wales' watercolours in London,

and he did so again in what must have been a dazzling show in 1833, when 67

drawings went on display. In the 'England and Wales' designs almost all aspects

of British scenery and life are depicted, while Turner's unrivalled mastery of the

medium of watercolour is everywhere apparent. And throughout the 1820s and

'30s the painter was frantically busy producing marvellous watercolours for a

host of other engraving projects as well. These included topographical surveys of

the ports, rivers and east coast of England; explorations of the rivers of France

(part of a scheme to survey the rivers of Europe that never got further than

forays along the Seine and the Loire); and illustrations for books of the collected

poetry of Sir Walter Scott, Lord Byron, Samuel Rogers and Thomas Campbell.

Moreover, Turner also found the time to produce illustrations for Scott's collected

prose works, and to depict the landscapes of the Bible. Although he had never

visited the Holy Land, he elaborated these works from sketches made by

travellers who had. Well might he have complained, as he had done in the mid-

1820s, that there was 'no holiday ever for me'.

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/24/2013 9:30:29 PM

Here is the link.

If you have not seen this then you will enjoy it.

Roger

http://www.turnersociety.org.uk/Updated_biography_life.pdf

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/25/2013 2:45:17 AM

Well Roger, it seems I was all wrong about Turner's periods of apparent 'inactivity' or rather, about their nature and cause. And yet, I am so happy to learn that he was not inactive at all but in fact, more active than ever; and that while he had bouts of depression in his last two decades of life, they were due to a noble cause (his father's death) which rather motivated him to work harder than ever.

On the other hand, the fact that he was frantically painting watercolors throughout the 1820's and 1830's also makes me happy in that I was not all-wrong in one of my assumptions. As does the fact that in the early 1830's he produced such marvelous oil paintings as
Rocky Bay with Figures and Wreckers: Coast of Northumberland, and that in 1842 he produced his no-less wonderful watercolor The Blue Rigi: Lake of Lucerne (the three of them I have shown in page 8 of this thread).

So after all it seems that I was not that wrong, lol.

However it is, I lack the words to thank you for your research and the info about the pdf file with Turner's biography. I don't have time right now to read it, not even to take a look at it, but will do it as early as possible tomorrow morning.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!