Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Forum Informum - Feedback for Business and Pleasure
6/19/2011 3:07:34 PM
The difference between forums and social networks is like comparing apples and oranges, they may both be fruits, but the differences are quite obvious to many.

Forums normally have a very tight focus and were created to ask questions and get answers. The can be social in that you are getting a group of people together who are sharing a common interest or sub interest to the same topic. Some people consider them to be an extension of the message board with a bit more functionality in terms of what can be done.

Social networks on the other hand are built on a very different functionality, first and foremost were created for people to share, to connect, to be real time. Applications are built within the network(s) to make everything easier for people to do these very functions including tagging, uploading pictures, link sharing, conversing etc.

Why do people share easier on places like Facebook? The simple answer is because it is EASY to share, everything is built to make life easier for people to share their lives and/or their businesses. I don't agree with all of what they do as we are also dealing with issues of privacy and security, but that is a personal observation.

what else? well the reality is that when one is sharing on a place like Facebook, it is fantastic SEO (when done correctly) and such giants as Google, Bing are recognizing this and putting the social into their algorithms.

If you were to take a snapshot of Adland and Facebook side by side you will see how much easier it is to keep up with your family and friends on Facebook ...the format is very different, the functionality is very different and the purpose is very different.

Does this help you at all Roger?

While trying to come up with an answer that would be of use to you, I did as I always do, search around to find out what others are saying and I found this article. While it is written in a "lighter" vein, I have to say that some of what this person wrote can be applied to any and all forums.... now what are the problems to social networks?
+0
6/19/2011 3:41:44 PM
I agree with you Diane and it is no coincidence that you are one of
those who shows the most respect when one is interacting with you.

Quote:
The difference between forums and social networks is like comparing apples and oranges, they may both be fruits, but the differences are quite obvious to many.

Forums normally have a very tight focus and were created to ask questions and get answers. The can be social in that you are getting a group of people together who are sharing a common interest or sub interest to the same topic. Some people consider them to be an extension of the message board with a bit more functionality in terms of what can be done.

Social networks on the other hand are built on a very different functionality, first and foremost were created for people to share, to connect, to be real time. Applications are built within the network(s) to make everything easier for people to do these very functions including tagging, uploading pictures, link sharing, conversing etc.

Why do people share easier on places like Facebook? The simple answer is because it is EASY to share, everything is built to make life easier for people to share their lives and/or their businesses. I don't agree with all of what they do as we are also dealing with issues of privacy and security, but that is a personal observation.

what else? well the reality is that when one is sharing on a place like Facebook, it is fantastic SEO (when done correctly) and such giants as Google, Bing are recognizing this and putting the social into their algorithms.

If you were to take a snapshot of Adland and Facebook side by side you will see how much easier it is to keep up with your family and friends on Facebook ...the format is very different, the functionality is very different and the purpose is very different.

Does this help you at all Roger?

While trying to come up with an answer that would be of use to you, I did as I always do, search around to find out what others are saying and I found this article. While it is written in a "lighter" vein, I have to say that some of what this person wrote can be applied to any and all forums.... now what are the problems to social networks?
Mattias Kroon Affiliate Creative Marketer http://moneymaker4554.blogspot.com/
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2011 4:05:15 PM
You have me at a loss Mattias, but thank you for your kind words.
Many people are asking questions and they need answers. As much as it is fun to share pictures and jokes, people need those answers and the more that we as a "group" can help, then isn't that what being social is all about?
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2011 5:31:49 PM
Hi roger,
I have been reading this forum, but I don't know what is best for ALP. Yes, I want to see it back to the way it was, but time moves on people change, things change, so maybe the future will bring better changes, I hope so. AS I have said before ALP is my favorite of all the sites that I have been on. So many sites are looking for " so called love" what they really mean is s**, which is such a turn off to me. Don't get me wrong, I love men, but I want is to be treated like a woman not an object. Here at ALP I haven't had all that, I think only one, but I just ignored him and he went away. I have meet people on this site, that are my super good friend, people that I hope to have forever. I have meet people on other sites too, but it just does not work very well, not like ALP
FB is a lot of junk, that people just post, just to post, how much fun is that! Boring. Give me a joke, a recipe, some good health news, and etc.
I have been a member of Cagora.com for many years, they never got off the ground, still not launched after several years of promises. It was to be communities, which meant your own home town area. Beautiful concept, but it was way too big to move ahead.
So many other sites that I am a member of are just boring, nothing to offer other then a few games, and pestie men that think you should jump when they holler. Then there is peoplestrings that also promised you to make money, just by getting points. It started out that way, but before launch price was $250 to join to make money, but you could still make money as a free member. Wrong.
Now to ALP we have Bogdan, what a prize we have folks, how many other sites can you have the owner and CEO as your friend that you can contact any time and he will answer you and do what ever he can to help you out. Folks ALP is a prize and I hope you all see this and learn what a beautiful site we have here. I personally can not say enough, thank you to Bogdan for having the BESTEST ( spelled that way to make my point) site on the internet, plus being a great friend. I joined ALP to advertise, I did at first but have just been a social butterfly for the past year or so. It is Jill's fault for having such a wonderful like The journey to the mountain of love, and it is tops, then there is my Native American site, which I cherish.

Well Roger you ask my opinion here it is, I am just one of ALP biggest fans,
Hugs,
Myrna

Quote:

I'm a reluctant social networker elsewhere purely because of the overload of information and contacts generated, however, some of you will know that I write kid's stories and I'm on Facebook as a character from there. I understand that there is a lot of discussion going on over on FB etc and we have seen a few more old Adlanders back here. That's great. The more talk the better for Adland.

Here's my question.

Why is it that the GROUP, blog never takes-off here? Also Albums etc.

I understand that many Adlanders have stacks of photos at Facebook but none in their profile here? Why.

Is it the way that things are presented on Facebook. Is it easier there?

One comment that reached me was that Adland always was more personal and that people tended not to ask personal "everyday offline friends" to come and join but that Facebook, due to ity's size, is somehow easier to inviute folk to. Is that true?

Cummon folk, this is important.

Roger.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2011 6:00:22 PM
Quote:
Hi roger,
I have been reading this forum, but I don't know what is best for ALP. Yes, I want to see it back to the way it was, but time moves on people change, things change, so maybe the future will bring better changes, I hope so. AS I have said before ALP is my favorite of all the sites that I have been on. So many sites are looking for " so called love" what they really mean is s**, which is such a turn off to me. Don't get me wrong, I love men, but I want is to be treated like a woman not an object. Here at ALP I haven't had all that, I think only one, but I just ignored him and he went away. I have meet people on this site, that are my super good friend, people that I hope to have forever. I have meet people on other sites too, but it just does not work very well, not like ALP
FB is a lot of junk, that people just post, just to post, how much fun is that! Boring. Give me a joke, a recipe, some good health news, and etc.
I have been a member of Cagora.com for many years, they never got off the ground, still not launched after several years of promises. It was to be communities, which meant your own home town area. Beautiful concept, but it was way too big to move ahead.
So many other sites that I am a member of are just boring, nothing to offer other then a few games, and pestie men that think you should jump when they holler. Then there is peoplestrings that also promised you to make money, just by getting points. It started out that way, but before launch price was $250 to join to make money, but you could still make money as a free member. Wrong.
Now to ALP we have Bogdan, what a prize we have folks, how many other sites can you have the owner and CEO as your friend that you can contact any time and he will answer you and do what ever he can to help you out. Folks ALP is a prize and I hope you all see this and learn what a beautiful site we have here. I personally can not say enough, thank you to Bogdan for having the BESTEST ( spelled that way to make my point) site on the internet, plus being a great friend. I joined ALP to advertise, I did at first but have just been a social butterfly for the past year or so. It is Jill's fault for having such a wonderful like The journey to the mountain of love, and it is tops, then there is my Native American site, which I cherish.

Well Roger you ask my opinion here it is, I am just one of ALP biggest fans,
Hugs,
Myrna

Quote:

Myrna,

Thank you for your support of Adland and Bogdan. I agree with lots that you say, however, we need to gain numbers and we don't seem to be able to do that.

Diane,

Thank you very much for your knowledge.

Very useful information.

I'm one of those who has nothing to hide but would not want to advertise everything about myself and family which is a risk with Facebook and the like. I know that it is everyones choice as to what they post on their wall, but, others can reveal your secrets, or names, etc and there is little you can do. Not ALL friends end up that way.

With Adland the situation tends to be a little less open to these intrusions.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!