Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
5/18/2011 3:36:31 PM

Hi Christina,

Thanks for visiting Papa's Kitchen. It's always great to meet new folks and to share some fresh ideas. The Risotto sounds absolutely delicious and I plan on trying it this Weekend. I hope that you'll come back real soon and once again, Welcome to our Friendly little Community. Anything that I can do to make you feel more at home, please let me know.

Since I've gone with Chicken recipes quite a bit this past week, I thought that you all might be ready for some Fish. Here's a delicious, healthy lemon-garlic marinade for salmon that can be either grilled or broiled. Marinade at least 6 hours. Bake in the oven or grill 7 to 8 minutes per side.

Marinated Wild Salmon

Ingredients

• 6 salmon fillets
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Directions

1. Season fillets with salt and pepper, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Set aside in a baking dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, balsamic vinegar, sugar, green onions, and cilantro. Pour marinade over salmon; cover, and refrigerate overnight, or at least 6 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  4. Arrange salmon on a broiling sheet. Place in preheated oven, and bake for 5 minutes. Increase heat to 500 degrees F, turn fillets, and broil 5 minutes more. Serves 6.

For an interesting side dish, you might try this pasta dish. Oodles and oodles of green garlic make this pasta deliciously garlicky without being scarily garlicky, although, it might still be scary if you’re a vampire.

Green Garlic and Spinach Pasta

• 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 350g green garlic (about 18-20 stalks)
  • good pinch salt
  • ½ cup vegetable stock
  • 1 bunch (250g) fresh spinach
  • 1/8 cup sour cream
  • 500g linguine or fettucine

Slice the green garlic into thin pieces. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet, add the garlic and sea salt, and cover the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, until it begins to release a sweet and mellow aroma. Add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat again and simmer, covered, for another fifteen minutes. Add the spinach, cover the pan, turn up the heat and cook for a couple of minutes, until the spinach is dark green and just wilted.

Turn off the heat and, working in batches, puree the garlic-spinach mixture in a food processor. Return to the pan, add the sour cream, and heat gently.

Have A Wonderful Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/19/2011 12:30:26 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm still in the mood for Italian for some reason, and of course, I always love Tomatoes. You can never go wrong with pasta, garlic, chicken, Romano cheese, and sun dried tomatoes. The Steamed Asparagus which follows makes a great side dish.

Chicken, Garlic, and Sundried Tomato Pasta

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package farfalle pasta
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated in water
  • 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese

Directions

1. In a large pot with boiling salted water cook farfalle pasta until al dente. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic cloves and cook until garlic browns. Add the cream of chicken soup and milk, stirring until smooth. Stir in the dried parsley, salt, and ground fresh pepper. Let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add bite size chicken pieces and hydrated sun dried tomatoes. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes. Mix in grated Romano cheese.
  3. Toss cooked and drained pasta with chicken sauce. Serve warm. Serves 8.

This is the best way to cook asparagus to enjoy it's flavor. It comes out absolutely perfect.

Steamed Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white wine
  • 3 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Place asparagus in a microwave-safe dish. Pour in wine, and dot with pieces of butter.
  2. Cover loosely, and cook in the microwave on High for 3 minutes, or until bright green and tender. Allow the dish to stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

Have A Blessed Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
5/19/2011 2:16:27 PM

Phil, when is lunch being served? I am hungry already. LOL

All these recipes look yummy and fish for breakfast sounds really good this morning.

Hugs,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/19/2011 7:32:52 PM

Hello Sara,

Since you mention lunch, here's what I had on Tuesday of this Week, and since I like to eat Fish on Friday, I may have it again tomorrow.

If you've ever order a Tuna Melt in a New Jersey diner, you got something very similar to this. This method of topping the tuna salad with cheese first, then tomato and more cheese, keeps the toppings from sliding off the bread.

Tuna Melt (New Jersey Diner Style)

Ingredients

• 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna in water, drained
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 slices seedless rye bread
  • 8 slices ripe tomato
  • 8 slices Swiss cheese
  • paprika, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat the oven broiler.
  2. In a bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion, parsley, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Place the rye bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil 1 minute in the preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and spread with the tuna salad. Place 1 cheese slice over the tuna salad on each piece of bread, layer with a tomato slice, and top with remaining cheese slices.
  4. Return layered bread to the preheated oven, and broil 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serves 4.

For a special treat, you might also like to try these oven-fried Potato Chips to accompany your Sandwiches. These crispy thin potato slices are simply delicious. We call them potato chips because they taste like the best potato chips you'll ever have, but I suspect that one might not classify them as a chip given their 1/8 inch thickness.

Oven-fried Potato Chips

Ingredients

• 4 russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of butter, melted
  • Coarse Sea Salt to taste

Method

Pat the potatoes dry between paper towels and arrange them in one layer in 2 buttered cookie sheets; if you have a non-stick cooking spray, this works fine for greasing the pans. Brush the potatoes with the butter, bake them in a preheated 500°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Sprinkle them with the salt.

Have A Blessed Day Dear Friend,

Phil

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/20/2011 1:10:35 AM
Hi Phil,

You never stop with your great recipes. This one is just so yummy looking, it makes the my mouth water.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!