Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/7/2011 3:16:54 AM
Hi Myrna, My mother used to make salmon cakes in the past. I need a good recipe Phil for salmon cakes. Cheers, LaNell
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/7/2011 6:39:49 PM

Hi LaNell,

No problem my Friend. Here's a couple of my favorites.

This first one is the recipe for my Grandmother's Salmon cakes. It's a family recipe that has been passed down through generations. I serve them with either Macaroni and Cheese or Buttered Noodles and a Green Vegetable Side Dish.

Grandma's Salmon Cakes

Ingredients

• 1 (14.75 ounce) can (Double Q) Salmon, drained and flaked
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

1. Pick through the salmon and remove any bones. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add the diced onion, salmon and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
  2. Shape into 2 ounce patties; about 7 or 8 patties. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Fry each patty for 5 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown.

This second one is a Recipe that I tried just to have a little something different. Cheddar cheese and parsley add to the color and taste of these flavorful patties. I tried them with my family once, and have been passing around the recipe ever since.

Salmon Cakes

Ingredients

• 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for coating
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

1. Combine salmon, onion, egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, cheese and parsley; mix well. Shape into four patties. Dust lightly with flour. Chill for 20 minutes.
  2. In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the patties until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels before serving.

Hope this is what you were needing.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
3/8/2011 4:21:24 AM

Here's a recipe I use when making "salmon patties":

1 can red Sockeye salmon (drain and trim off fatty parts)

(more expensive than pink but worth it!)

1 egg

7 saltine crackers (crushed)

Mix all three ingredients together, shape into desired shape patties, and fry in small amount of olive oil. Salt and pepper while it fries up. Drain on paper towel.

Not many complaints at my house when I fix this simple meal and usually serve it with little boiled new potatoes and green beans and garlic toast with cheese. We like to carry the patties in our lunch the next day....easy to eat on the run! And good cold.

Phil, I like your idea of serving them with macaroni and cheese! and also the onion sounds yummy. Sonia

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2011 1:58:05 AM

Hello Sonia,

It's always Great when a new Friend stops by and joins the Forum. Appreciate the Salmon Patties recipe. They sound delicious and I must say that I agree with you about the Red Sockeye Salmon. It's well worth the small difference in price. I hope you'll stop by often and visit, and always feel free to share whenever you like.

Since today is Fat Tuesday down in New Orleans, here's a recipe that you might want to try after your Lenten fast is over. It's an authentic Louisiana recipe with a rich and spicy fresh tomato based roux with fresh garlic, bell peppers, celery, and onions mixed with crawfish and shrimp. A little time consuming but well worth it! Serve over steamed rice with hushpuppies and/or crackers on the side. Y'all know that I do love my Shrimp, but I must admit that Crawfish was an "acquired" taste for me.

Cajun Crawfish and Shrimp Etouffe

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 small green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
  • 1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup fish stock
  • 1 pound crawfish tails
  • 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour, and stir constantly until the mixture turns 'peanut butter' brown or darker, at least 15 or 20 minutes. I use a large fork with the flat side to the bottom of the pan in a side to side motion. This is your base sauce or 'Roux'. It is very important to stir this constantly. If by chance the roux burns, discard and start over.
  2. Once the roux is browned, add the onions, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the skillet, and saute for about 5 minutes to soften. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and fish stock, and season with the seafood seasoning. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Season the sauce with hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper (if using), and add the crawfish and shrimp. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/9/2011 3:40:29 AM
Hi Phil,

I looked at this picture
and my mouth was watering. It looks so good, I can almost taste it.

Hugs,
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!