Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/9/2011 7:48:13 PM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you liked the Recipe my Friend. Here's another from my Weight Watchers Recipe Files that I thought you all might like as well.

I thought I’d share this outrageously delicious Italian Meatballs Recipe. Each serving has just 6 Points +, which really is not bad, considering that we’re talking about beef meatballs here. Plus, this recipe makes 8 servings, so it’s great for a big family dinner or potluck. The cinnamon and nutmeg give the meat such a great flavor, and the sauce is so full bodied and delicious that no one will have any idea that this is a low calorie meatball recipe.

Italian Meatballs

Ingredients:

- 1lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 cups whole-wheat bread, cubed
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet Splenda (Or other Sweetener)
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped

Directions:

Place bulgur in a medium bowl and cover generously with hot water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve, pressing to remove excess liquid.

Meanwhile, spray a large Dutch oven with nonfat cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add the onion, oregano and ½ the garlic; cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute. Stir in canned tomatoes and bay leaves; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover and let simmer while you prepare meatballs.

Whisk egg substitute in a large bowl. Add the bulgur, the bread, beef, Parmesan, cinnamon, nutmeg, the rest of the garlic and the salt & pepper. Gently combine with a potato masher and/or your hands. If mixture seems too dry, add in 1-2 tbsp of water. Form into 28 meatballs, about 1 inch.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 3 to 4 minutes.

Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; blot with paper towels. Brown the remaining meatballs.

Mash the simmering tomato sauce with a potato masher to break down any large chunks of tomato. Add the meatballs to the sauce. Add in the Splenda (Or other Sweetener if you prefer). Simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 50 minutes. Serve the meatballs with the sauce, and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.

Entire recipe makes 8 servings - Serving size is 3 meatballs with sauce
Each serving = 6 Points + and 237 calories; 7 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber

Have A Happy Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2011 8:04:03 PM

Hello My Friends,

Just got back from visiting my Cardiologist, and since he assures me I should be around until at least the end of this Month to Celebrate my 64th, I thought we'd celebrate with a Heart-Healthy Meal for us all. Start out with a large Salmon filet, steamed in foil and cooked either in the oven or barbecue. It's seasoned with minced garlic, fresh baby dill, lemon slices, fresh ground pepper and green onions.

Garlic Salmon

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 sprig fresh dill, chopped
  • 5 slices lemon
  • 5 sprigs fresh dill weed
  • 2 green onions, chopped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Spray two large pieces of aluminum foil with cooking spray.
  2. Place salmon fillet on top of one piece of foil. Sprinkle salmon with salt, pepper, garlic and chopped dill. Arrange lemon slices on top of fillet and place a sprig of dill on top of each lemon slice. Sprinkle fillet with chopped scallions.
  3. Cover salmon with second piece of foil and pinch together foil to tightly seal. Place on a baking sheet or in a large baking dish.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until salmon flakes easily.

Next, add this easy-to-do salad. It's a tangy and healthy way to add fresh spinach and beets to your diet.

Balsamic Beet and Fresh Spinach Salad

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Chardonnay wine
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar (optional)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can sliced beets, drained and cut into 1/4 inch slivers
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
  • 4 cups chopped fresh spinach

Directions

1. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, Chardonnay, and sugar in a small bowl. Place the beets and onions in a small, sealable container. Pour the vinegar mixture over the beets and onions to completely cover. Seal top; marinate in refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours.
  2. When ready to serve, divide spinach leaves between four salad plates. Top with beet mixture, and drizzle salads with a bit of the marinating liquid.

Finally, we finish with my one of my favorite Side Dishes. Quinoa is a great alternative to rice, since it's lighter, and cooks in about half the time.

Quinoa Side Dish

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 dash fresh lemon juice (optional)

Directions

1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa, and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
  2. In a bowl, toss quinoa together with garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
3/10/2011 8:32:17 PM

Keep eating like this friend and you will live a very long time!

Looks delicious.

Thanks,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/12/2011 12:39:57 AM

Hello Sara & Friends,

Here's a little twist on one of my favorite Basic Dishes. Just a pinch of nutmeg adds unexpected and appealing flavor to this basic creamy noodle dish.

Hamburger Stroganoff Casserole

Print these coupons...
About Concordance™

INGREDIENTS

concordance-begin
8 oz. (4 cups) uncooked medium egg noodles
1 lb. lean ground beef
12 oz. small fresh whole mushrooms, halved (3 1/2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (1.0 to 1.3-oz.) pkg. beef or pork gravy mix
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups water
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4

cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 3-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Cook egg noodles as directed on package. Drain; cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook ground beef, mushrooms and garlic over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain; remove beef mixture from skillet.

In same skillet, combine gravy mix, pepper and water; mix well. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and nutmeg.

Add cooked noodles and beef mixture to gravy; stir to combine. Spoon mixture into sprayed casserole; cover.

Bake at 375°F. for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with parsley.

Have A Wonderful Evening,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/12/2011 11:31:54 PM

Hello Friends,

My previous Posts over at my other Recipe Forum, and over at my Joke Forum, got me in the mood to start celebrating St. Paddy's Day just a wee bit early, so here goes. First of all, here's St. Paddy's Day done right: Meat, potatoes, and Ireland's best beer (or so they tell me). I tossed some parsley on it at the end because I happened to have some but it's not really necessary

Irish Beef Stew with Guinness® Beer

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
  • 3 cups stout beer (such as Guinness®)
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beef, beer, sliced potatoes, and quartered potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the beef is tender, about 2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.

Have A Very Happy St Patrick's Day My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!