Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
12/18/2010 8:41:40 PM

Hi Sara,

Thanks for coming by to visit. I know that I can always count on Support from my Friends.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/21/2010 10:18:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today's dish is Baked Salmon with onion powder and dried dill weed. With just a hint of seasoning, you can make Salmon taste delicious. This is a simple recipe for a Salmon Fillet or a Salmon Steak. Serve with some home-made Tartar Sauce and lemon.

Salmon With Dill

Ingredients

• 1 pound salmon fillets or steaks
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Rinse salmon, and arrange in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, and dill over the fish. Place pieces of butter evenly over the fish.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

This is absolutely the best tartar sauce I have ever had. The capers and the boiled egg does so much for the flavor, much more than you would think. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Tarter Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1 tablespoon minced capers
  • 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • salt and white pepper to taste
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce

Directions

1. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, capers, and egg. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a dash hot pepper sauce. Stir. Chill.

Happy Holidays My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/23/2010 11:51:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's a little something different that I think you might like. Sometimes forgotten vegetables like winter squash, celeriac and leeks, become family favorites, whenever they're layered with potatoes and baked to perfection in a delicious cream sauce.

Root Vegetable Gratin

Ingredients

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)

1 pound red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)

1 bulb celery root, about 1 pound, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)

1 bunch leeks, washed well, white part only, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)

1 3/4 cups Swanson® Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

• Heat the oven to 400°F. Spread the butter in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Place the squash, potatoes, celery root and leeks in the prepared dish.
  • Heat the broth, cream, thyme and nutmeg in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat to a boil and season to taste.
  • Pour the broth mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat.
  • Bake for 25 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F. and bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the vegetables are tender. (If the vegetables are browning too fast in the first 25 minutes, cover the dish loosely with foil.)
  • Sprinkle with the cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Merry Christmas & A Blessed New Year,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/25/2010 10:41:58 PM
Hello My Friends,

Tired of Turkey already. Here's something a little different you might like to try. Cornish game hens stuffed with a vegetable mixture, then roasted.

A Cornish game hen recipe that I found and tweaked a bit for the taste and size of our family, but it would be very easy to adjust it to fit your needs. It goes well with oven-roasted potatoes, a great roasted potato side dish made with olive oil and herbs, recipe for which that follows.

Baked Cornish Game Hens

Ingredients

• 2 Cornish game hens
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup melted butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup melted butter, onion, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano and parsley.
  3. Season hens inside and out with salt and pepper to taste, then stuff with equal amounts butter/vegetable mixture. Place stuffed birds in a 9x13 inch baking dish, breast side up. Drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter.
  4. Cover dish and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover and brown at 500 degrees F.

Oven Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine oil, garlic, basil, marjoram, dill weed, thyme, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir in potatoes until evenly coated. Place potatoes in a single layer on a roasting pan or baking sheet.
  3. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.

Have A Wonderful Holiday Season My Friends,

Phil

+0
12/25/2010 11:18:22 PM

Love all your recipes Phil. I actually took some pictures of a few things I cooked just so I could post here. Hope to get them up later. Today we had

Baked Ham with Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Cabbage and Sweet Potatoes

Turkey with a special Southern Style Dressing

Green Bean Casserole

Rolls

Peach Pie made from peaches we froze this summer.

Now Gus brought in more baked potatoes, prime rib, and cheese cake. Am I ever going to need a diet and exercise after this!!!

Love,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!