Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
12/26/2010 1:40:43 AM
Hi Phil,

Do hope you had a Merry Christmas, we had a little snow here about 8:00 a. m. but it melted in a few minutes. So another no white Christmas.

I made the pumpkin pie that you had listed at Thanksgiving with the nut crumb topping. It is so good. Well what did I expect, but another great recipe from Phil...Thanks.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/26/2010 4:34:48 AM

Hi Sara,

Sounds wonderful my Friend. It also sounds like you've been busy with all of the Family at home, but I bet you've had fun, and that's the best kind of tired you can be from the Holidays.

Speaking of Cabbage, my Nephew's wife brought several old Family recipes back with her when she got back home after Thanksgiving, and one thing which I had never had was a dish called Norwegian Cabbage. Norwegian Christmas Cabbage is essentially a kind of sweet and sour sauerkraut, spiced with caraway seeds, and let me say, it was absolutely delicious.

Norwegian Christmas Cabbage

Ingredients

• 8 slices bacon
  • 1 large head cabbage, cored and shredded
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seed
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste

Directions

1. Lay two slices of bacon across the bottom of a large pot. Cover with a layer of cabbage. Sprinkle a light dusting of flour and a pinch of caraway seed. Season with a little salt and pepper. Repeat layering as many times as possible until you run out of room.
  2. Fill the pot with enough water to come about 3/4 up the side. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly, then stir in the vinegar and sugar. Use your own judgment. Add sugar carefully to taste. The idea is to strike a balance between the sweet and the sour, and therein lies the trick.

Hope Your Christmas Was Wonderful & Wishing You A New Year That Is Bright,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/26/2010 4:45:56 AM

Hi Myrna,

Believe me, my Friend, you would be more than welcome to the Snow that's falling outside my window this Evening. That's right, for the first time since 1969, we are having a White Christmas. Normally, I would be thrilled, however, I am supposed to be at the Hospital on Monday morning for a Doppler test on my neck, and I am not very happy with all of the Snow right now. We're supposed to have 6-8 Inches by tomorrow Noon, and with the temps hoovering in the high 20's to low 30's, it won't be going anywhere very soon. Oh well, God will provide.

Anyway, have a wonderful Evening my Friend, stay warm, and I'll be back with some more Recipes tomorrow.

God Bless My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/28/2010 11:53:16 PM

Hello My Friends,

In Honor of our first White Christmas since 1969 down here in NC, and in commiseration with all of those poor folks, my Nephew and his family included, who are biding time trapped in Airports throughout the Northeast, I am going to break with my usual Healthy Recipes, and feature a Yummy Dessert. A little creation called...

Dirty Snow Cake

This is a cool, creamy cake that is pretty and white on the outside and looks like "dirty snow" on the inside. Delicious!

Ingredients

• 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
  • 1 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3/4 cup chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup white sugar

Directions

1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Stir in the 1 cup crushed cookies and bake as directed for two 8 or 9 inch round layer pans. Let cake cool.
  2. Whip 1 cup of the heavy cream with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the white sugar. Fold in the chopped cookies and spread between the cooled cake layers.
  3. Whip the remaining 2 cups heavy cream with 1/4 cup white sugar. Use to frost sides and top of cake. Refrigerate cake for several hours before serving.

Have A Wonderful New Year My Friends,

Phil

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/29/2010 12:21:06 AM

Hi Phil,

Happy White After-Christmas in North Carolina!

Our family was supposed to have a big get-together in suburban Philadelphia after Christmas thru the New Year but I also have a nephew who couldn't drive up from NC to Philly on Sunday/Monday, and another nephew couldn't drive down from NY, and I got stuck getting out of the airport between Monday morning to this morning, took 24 hours to get home to Michigan (always frozen) when usually takes 75 minutes plus 30 minutes (2 short flights) and my sister couldn't get to Philly at all from Minneapolis. WOW! I'm glad my kids & I were there anyway, even after I told them it probably wouldn't snow and we arrived to a green east coast last Wednesday.

If it makes us feel any better, southern New Jersey got socked with 24 inches of snow! :)

Here's something the kids liked from my parents all-time old-time favorites:

Baseball-size meatballs with chopped onions...my dad also sometimes adds bell pepper or chopped hot peppers...and a side dish of green stringbeans with bacon, the kids were still talking about that meal a long time later.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!