Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
10/18/2010 11:49:40 PM
HI Phil,

I guess I should have told you how I make my beans. I just put them in a hot skillet with some virgin olive oil and stir for just a few minutes. I like them crisp. Just a little salt is all I use. Hope you try them this way, I think you will enjoy them too.

Looking for a photo of green bears, I found this one from Martha Stewart

Stir-Fried Green Beans with Coconut

This fresh and delicious green bean side dish can be found in Suvir Saran and Stephane Lyness's "Indian Home Cooking."

Ingredients

Serves 4

• 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons yellow split peas
  • 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon hulled black gram beans (urad dal)
  • 3 whole dried red chiles
  • 8 fresh or 12 frozen curry leaves, torn into pieces (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3/4 pound green beans, both ends trimmed and cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
  • Coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon saambhar powder or rasam powder (optional)

Directions

1. In a large wok or frying pan, combine oil, yellow split peas, and mustard seeds, if using over medium high heat. Cover, if using mustard seeds, as they will pop, until you hear them crackle. Cook, stirring, until split peas are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
  2. Add gram beans and chiles. Carefully add curry leaves, if using, as they will splatter. Add cumin and cook, uncovered, stirring, for 1 minute.
  3. Add asafetida, if using, and 1/4 cup coconut. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add green beans and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
  4. Add remaining 1/4 cup coconut, the saambhar or rasam powder, if using, and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until beans are tender, about 10 minutes.
  5. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until all of the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes more; season with salt. Serve immediately.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2010 10:18:07 PM

Hi Pat,

Sorry to be so tardy in getting back to you, but sometimes life has a habit of getting in the way. Everything's handled now though, and I can get back to sharing with my Friends.

I wanted to say Thanks for stopping by and I really appreciate the Potato Soup recipe. I love Potato Soup, especially on those cool Fall evenings, and those Clams sound pretty good as well. I didn't know that anyone else was on to one of my favorite Seasoning Blends, Nature's Seasons. Hope you've bookmarked the Morton's Website, 'cause you can find about every type of salt & seasonings there, as well as some killer low salt recipes. Just Click Here to get started. That's where I get all of my Sea Salt Blends and many of my favorite Seasoning Blends.

Here's another of my favorite Soup Recipes that I hope you all will like...

Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 1/3 cup diced celery
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
  • 3 1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk

Directions

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
  2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Have A BOO-ti-ful Fall My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2010 11:51:57 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the recipe for the stir-fried Green Beans. They sound delicious, and if I was just cooking for myself, I'd probably have them that way quite often. My problem is, I'm cooking for a whole bunch of Southern folks, and when you refer to eating a Green Bean that's "Crisp", that means just "not cooked " down here in the South. Southern-style Green Beans are soft and well-seasoned, in other words, as my Granny used to say, "good Green Beans gotta be cooked almost plum to death".

Here's my favorite recipe for Green Beans "Southern-style"...

Southern Style Green Beans with New Potatoes

3-4 slices of bacon
1/4 of a small onion, coarsely chopped
3 cups (approximately) of fresh or frozen cut green beans,
or 2 cans of cut green beans, reserving the liquid
2 medium red potatoes
Chicken stock, to cover
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Amounts given are just estimates - use more or less according to your needs. If using fresh green beans, remove the ends and snap in half or cut; rinse and set aside.

Using kitchen shears, cut up the bacon directly into a large saucepan and cook over medium high heat until it begins to brown. Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.

If using fresh or frozen beans, saute them in the cooked bacon and onion for a bit first. Cut the potatoes into a medium dice and add them to the beans. Pour over enough chicken broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let them low simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

If using canned beans, add the beans with their liquid, to the cooked bacon and onion. Add the potatoes and enough chicken broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let them low simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

Hope Y'all will enjoy this fine mess of Green Beans & Taters now ya' hear!

Have A Super Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
10/21/2010 2:12:34 PM
Hey Phil thanks for inviting me to your forum and being first to post on a forum of mine.What a great place to share recipes. I may have on for you its a simple but tasty hamburger recipe...Take ground beef... chop up some onions dice real small and a block of cheddar cheese..chop in 1/4 pieces.. mix together....in a large bowl. Cook and enjoy...you can always change what you want to put in.

Best Wishes in your path
jeremey
‎"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable" QUOTED "MIM"
+0
10/21/2010 3:09:20 PM

Phil, back again, hungry again... There are some delicious recipes here. Myrna, that is the way I like beans also. Phil, that soup would just hit the spot.

Guess all I can do to go along with these and Jeremey's recipe is to bring the bread.

Cheese Bread

This is Cheese Bread, you can see the blade was stuck in this one. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. Not sure of the difference. This was really good bread but I still prefer the recipe made with adding some flax meal.

LET'S EAT!!

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!