Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/21/2010 7:35:15 PM

Hi Myrna,

That homemade Mayonaise does sound delicious. The only problem that I would have here at home is that the rest of my Family, especially my Sister, can't eat two pieces of Bread without putting Mayonaise on them. Seriously, when she's on a Sandwich kick, a 32oz. jar of Dukes Mayonaise will only last about 3 or 4 days. So, as you can see, I couldn't make enough homemade to keep up. I keep the Miracle Whip primarily for me to eat, and also to use in Cooking & Baking.

Speaking of the "Plain People", we also have small settlements of Amish & Mennonites, and even a few Brethren, here in NC. There's a nice couple whom I've met, that operates an Amish store over in Hamptonville, NC, and we also have a large Community living over around Yanceyville, up near the Virginia State line. By and large, all of those whom I have run into while traveling, have been quite pleasant, even if they were a little standoffish at first. They seem to be somewhat similar to the Quakers who originally settled a large part of the area where I now live, such as up in Old Salem. Very Religious people, with strong Family Values, and by and large, fantastic Cooks. My kind of people, in other words.

Have A Blessed Day My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2010 8:03:12 PM

Hi Sara,

Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures, now I'm really Hungry! Everything looks delicious, however, I'm afraid that I would probably have to fill up on the Lima Beans & Okra, and possibly the Pasta Cassarole, and of course the homemade Bread. If you can believe it, there's a local Restaurant here that's got me hooked on Okra, Tomatoes, and Macaroni, of all the strange combinations. Of course, I do eat Pork occasionally, and the Butternut Squash looks yummy, except for the Bacon Strips, unless that's actually Turkey Bacon in disguise. My Diet's just a little weird these days.

By the way, speaking of Pork, I felt so guilty not having any Thai food for you the other evening, I dug through my Recipes and came up with one that I think you'll like, I know that I do, but it's a Slow Cooker Thai Pork over Rice, so it's over at my Healthy Crockpot Thread naturally. Stop by and check it out, if you have the chance.

Have A Delightful Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/23/2010 6:06:46 PM

Hello My Friends,

If you're like me, you're always wondering what to do with leftovers. In this handy recipe, that leftover brown rice is reborn into this Chicken Fried Rice with Peppers and Onions. Black pepper, paprika, or dried parsley may be used to season this dish, after it is cooked.

Garlic Chicken Fried Brown Rice

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 11 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2/3 cup green onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1-1/3 cups frozen peas, thawed
  • Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the chicken, bell pepper, green onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice; cook and stir to heat through. Stir in the soy sauce, rice vinegar and peas, and continue to cook for 1 minute. Return the chicken mixture to the skillet and stir to blend with the rice and heat through before serving.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

+0
    8/24/2010 5:21:17 PM

Quote:
    Hi Sara,

Funny thing is I am about in the middle of Philly and Pittsburg. We have more plain folks here in our area. A few Amish, not many. Some people are just not friendly, I feel sorry for them and their long faces. Need to send them this...........

Hugs,
    Myrna

Myrna, thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to get back here because it did sound like I meant the Amish were rude. Actually, most everyone was. We did go to the fresh Amish markets and while they have wonderful fresh food, their attitudes are the same as others around Philly that I met. The nicest people were at the airport of all places!!

We have some of those around Burlington but generally most people here are very friendly and will speak even if they have never seen you before. It is nice to go to the businesses and have people greet you with a smile and a friendly attitude. Now, before Phil complains about this topic in his kitchen, I better post some pictures I came to do.

Sara

+0
    8/24/2010 5:34:25 PM

Phil, I am back with another meal. This was a beef shoulder roast that I cooked in iron skillet used as a dutch oven.

Pictures don't seem to do it much justice but it really was very tender and the taste was great. I used a blend of soy and worchestershire sauces, garlic, paprika and water. Cooked about hour and half at 350.

With this I served frozen cooked green beans. Always add some vinegar and little garlic.

And some quartered potatoes cooked in butter and basil leaves.

I think we still had the fresh bread. Have to make some more today, maybe I will get a picture of that also.

Thanks for all your wonderful recipes Phil and keep 'em coming!

Sara

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!