Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
4/12/2012 10:37:06 PM

Hello Ladies,

Thank you both for stopping by and thanks for your Comments. Actually Myrna, I believe that the bacon was one of my Grandmother's preferences, because usually whenever I fry up some cabbage, I just cut up a head of cabbage and saute in butter in skillet. Of course, I reduce the heat and continue to cook it slowly so that it doesn't scorch. Pat, I'll have to try that batter with some Green Beans. They do sound good.

I missed my Lamb Chops over Easter, so I thought we might try some this evening. This vibrant salsa comes together in minutes, making the dish perfect for weeknight cooking. Serve with Brown-Butter Green Beans with Pine Nuts and creamy Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes.

Broiled Lamb Loin Chops with Olive-Mint Salsa

1 cup jarred brined olives, rinsed, pitted, and finely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for the pan
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1 small shallot, minced (2 Tbs.)
1-1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. capers, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Eight 1-1/2- to 2-inch-thick lamb loin chops, (about 3 lb.)

In a medium bowl, mix the olives, 3 Tbs. of the oil, the parsley, mint, shallot, vinegar, capers, and orange zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for 20 minutes to let the flavors meld.

Position an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high. Lightly oil the grate of a broiler pan and line the bottom of the pan with foil.

Rub the lamb chops with the remaining 1 Tbs. oil and generously season all over with salt and pepper. Set the lamb chops on the prepared pan and broil until well browned, about 8 minutes. Flip the chops and continue to cook until the second side is well browned, about 3 minutes more for medium rare. Let the lamb rest for 5 minutes.

Top each lamb chop with some of the olive salsa and serve. Serves 4.

Try this little twist on green beans amandine.

Brown-Butter Green Beans with Pine Nuts

1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped
Kosher salt
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring a 4- to 6-quart pot (like a Dutch oven) of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook until tender to the bite, 5 to 7 min. Drain the beans in a colander. Return the pot to the stove over low heat and melt the butter in the pot. Add the pine nuts and 1/4 tsp. salt, turn the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until the butter browns and the pine nuts turn mostly golden, 3 to 5 min. Turn off the heat (or remove the pot from the stove) and add the green beans and 1/2 tsp. salt to the pot. Toss to combine thoroughly, sprinkle with the lemon juice, and toss again. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve warm. Serves 4-6.

These yellow-fleshed potatoes have a rich, almost buttery taste. If you like a slightly tangy edge to your mash, substitute buttermilk for the milk. or you can also embellish these by adding a whole heap of fresh herbs (up to 1/2 cup each of chopped parsley and basil).

Creamy Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes

1-3/4 to 2 pounds yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks (1-1/2 to 2 inches)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup milk, hot but not boiling

Put the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add a generous 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to maintain a steady simmer, cover the pot partially, and cook until the potatoes are quite tender when tested with a metal skewer, 15 to 20 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and garlic -- reserving some of the cooking water -- and dump them back into the pan. Dry the potatoes over medium heat, shaking the pan and stirring until the potatoes look floury and leave a light film on the bottom of the pan.

If using a ricer, dump the potatoes into a bowl and then rice them back into the pot set over very low heat. If using a hand masher, mash them in the pot until completely smooth.

Using a wooden spoon, beat in the butter and then beat in the hot milk in 1/4-cup increments. If the potatoes are still too thick, beat in a bit of the cooking water until they reach the consistency you want. Season well with salt and pepper and serve right away. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/13/2012 5:07:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today's recipe keeps your Halibut moist beyond belief! The sauce is delightfully rich, but not overpowering, with just a slight kick to it. Then top off your meal with some seasoned Potato Wedges.

Ingredients

• 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon diced onion
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 pounds halibut steaks

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
  2. In a bowl, mix the Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, flour, lemon juice, onion, and cayenne pepper.
  3. Arrange the halibut steaks in the prepared baking dish, and cover with the Cheddar cheese mixture.
  4. Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking 15 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork. Serves 6.

These nicely seasoned Oven Potato Wedges bake in the oven while you're preparing the main course.

Oven Potato Wedges

Ingredients

• 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into small wedges
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; stir to coat. Place in a single layer in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
  2. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2012 7:27:43 PM
Hello My Friends,

For Saturday, here's a light meal starting with an easy take on a sandwich sold by vendors along Rio de Janeiro’s beaches that's packed with grated vegetables, sweet raisins, fresh lime juice, and cilantro. It’s like no chicken salad sandwich you’ve ever had before. Serve together with a Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Dried Fruit.

Brazilian Chicken Salad Sandwich

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups shredded roasted chicken meat (homemade or from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
3 Tbs. finely chopped yellow onion
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup grated beets
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 Boston lettuce leaves
8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted if desired

In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, 1 Tbs. of the lime juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add the chicken, raisins, celery, and onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In another medium bowl, combine the oil with the remaining 1 Tbs. lime juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Mix in the carrots, beets, and cilantro.

Put a lettuce leaf on 4 of the bread slices, then top with the chicken salad, carrot mixture, another lettuce leaf, and another slice of bread. Serves 4.

Besides its attractive maroon color, red quinoa has a slightly deeper, nuttier flavor than white quinoa. Both, however, are excellent in this bright, lemony salad.

Quinoa and Avocado Salad with Dried Fruit, Toasted Almonds, and Lemon-Cumin Vinaigrette

3 Tbs. raisins (preferably a mix of dark and golden)
2 Tbs. dried apricots, thinly sliced
1 cup red or white quinoa, rinsed well
Kosher salt
1 large lemon
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
2 medium firm-ripe avocados (6 to 7 oz. each), pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 medium scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 to 3 Tbs. coarsely chopped toasted almonds

In a medium bowl, soak the raisins and apricots in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a 2-quart saucepan, bring 2 cups water, the quinoa, and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is translucent and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. (The outer germ rings of the grain will remain chewy and white. Some germ rings may separate from the grain and will look like white squiggles.) Immediately fluff the quinoa with a fork and turn it out onto a baking sheet to cool to room temperature.

Finely grate the zest from the lemon and then squeeze 1 Tbs. juice. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon zest and juice with the olive oil, coriander, cumin, paprika, and 1/4 tsp. salt. In a large bowl, toss the vinaigrette with the quinoa, raisins, apricots, avocado, scallions, and almonds. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/16/2012 7:37:00 PM

Hello Friends,

A creamy, crunchy coating flavored with herbs brings new excitement to today's Chicken Dinner. The stuffing mix makes a chewy-crunchy breading, and the combination of seasoning is unusual and delicious.

Best Baked Chicken

Ingredients

• 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons celery salt
  • 2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 1 dash pepper
  • 1 (6 ounce) package herb-seasoned stuffing mix, crushed into crumbs
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, lemon juice, soy sauce, celery salt, garlic salt, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the sour cream mixture, then roll in the stuffing mix to coat. Arrange chicken in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle with the melted butter.
  3. Bake 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. Serves 8.

On the side this pilaf is made with jasmine rice, an aromatic rice popular in Thai cuisine.

Jasmine Rice

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • 2 bay leaf
  • 3 cups dry jasmine rice
  • 6 cups water
  • salt to taste

Directions

1. In a large saucepan over a medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Mix in green peas, bay leaf, and jasmine rice. Stir to coat the rice.
  2. Pour 3 cups water into the saucepan and add the salt. Increase the heat to medium and let the rice come to a quick simmer. Reduce heat to low and let rice simmer lightly and sit uncovered until all of the liquid is absorbed. Cover the rice and remove from heat, let sit approximately 40 minutes. Serves 6-8.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/17/2012 11:24:00 PM

Hello My Friends,

These kabobs are simple to make and delicious to eat. Skewered meat with peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a honey teriyaki sauce. Then, for the other Vegetarians out there like me, an alternate version follows.

Kabobs

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 pinch ground ginger
  • 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 1 1/2 cups whole fresh mushrooms
  • 1 pound beef sirloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
  • skewers

Directions

1. In a large resealable plastic bag, mix the teriyaki sauce, honey, garlic powder, and ginger. Place red bell peppers, onion wedges, mushrooms, beef, and chicken in the bag with the marinade. Seal, and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
  2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
  3. Discard marinade, and thread the meat and vegetables onto skewers, leaving a small space between each item.
  4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill skewers for 10 minutes, turning as needed, or until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serves 10.

In this Vegetarian Option, Mushrooms are dressed up with red and green peppers and brushed with olive oil. Then they're basted and grilled. With more types of mushrooms available in the grocery store, you can now make these year round using an assortment of button, portabello, ****aake, and crimini mushrooms

Mushroom Kabobs

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 4 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat grill for medium heat.
  2. Thread mushrooms and peppers alternately on skewers.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Brush mushrooms and peppers with this flavored oil.
  4. Brush grate with oil, and place kabobs on the grill. Baste frequently with oil mixture. Cook for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and thoroughly cooked. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!