Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
2/2/2012 7:17:33 PM
Hello My Friends,

These fresh, crunchy, colorful tostadas are the perfect showcase for some of the shredded leftover white meat from yesterday's Citrus-Marinated Roasted Chicken, which is gently and briefly reheated with a bit of the pan juice from the recipe. Didn't make the roast chicken yet? No problem, a store-bought rotisserie chicken will do; just substitute in a lower-salt chicken broth for the pan juice. Serve this along with your favorite Salsa.

Chicken Tostadas with Black Beans and Cilantro-Lime Cream

8 6-inch corn tortillas
1 Tbs. olive oil; more for the tortillas
Kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice (from 2 large limes)
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 Tbs. minced canned chipotle chile (about half a medium chile)
1/4 cup reserved pan juice from Citrus-Marinated Roasted Chicken or lower-salt chicken broth
4 cups shredded leftover white meat chicken from Citrus-Marinated Roasted Chicken (from about 2 breasts)
2 small bunches radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 cup finely sliced romaine lettuce or green cabbage
Crumbled queso cotija or feta cheese

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.

Lightly brush both sides of the tortillas with oil and arrange them in a single layer on two large heavy-duty baking sheets. Lightly season the tortillas with salt and bake, swapping and rotating the pans halfway through, until golden-brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Heat the olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cumin seeds and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and golden-brown, about 8 minutes. Add the beans and chile and stir until heated through. Stir in 2 Tbs. of the reserved pan juice and 1/4 cup water; bring to a simmer. Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the bean mixture and then season to taste with salt.

Combine the chicken and the remaining 2 Tbs. pan juice in another 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is hot, about 2 minutes.

Arrange 2 tortillas on each of 4 large plates. Spread the bean mixture over the tortillas. Top with the chicken, and then the radishes and lettuce. Spoon some of the cream over the tostadas, sprinkle each with cheese, and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/3/2012 6:15:43 PM
Hello Everyone,

Tonight we have a little something special for Friday Fish night, Mahi Mahi with a tangy punch. The easy-to-make sauce for this fish gets its tangy punch from items you might have on hand—canned tomatoes, olives, and capers. When prepping your ingredients, be sure to rinse the olives and capers, or they’ll make the sauce too salty.

Mahi Mahi With Tomato, Olives & Capers

2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 1-inch-thick skinless mahi mahi fillets (about 6 oz. each)
1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
1 medium clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 14.5-oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1/2 cup pitted green olives, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
1 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish on both sides with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook, turning once, until the fish is just opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in the skillet over medium heat, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds more. Stir in the wine and oregano. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, the olives, and capers. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Serve the fish topped with the sauce. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/3/2012 6:40:35 PM
THIS FISH DISH LOOKS WONDERFUL PHIL. could you use other fish? the tilapia for instance? (i have never eaten mai-mahi_

Pat
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/3/2012 7:53:43 PM

Hi Pat,

I rarely eat Mahi Mahi, mainly because it can sometimes be quite expensive, and also because like all ocean caught fish, it can contain significant amounts of Mercury, depending on where it is caught. However, I am quite fond of it's flavor, so I will have it a couple of times each year.

Mahi-Mahi is the Hawaiian name for dolphinfish. It has a sweet, mildly pronounced flavor, similar to swordfish. The lean meat is fairly firm in texture, though not steak-like, and it has large, moist flakes. It is also important not to confuse Mahi-Mahi with the mammalian dolphin, as it is not related in any way.

Any white, flaky Fish could be substituted in the recipe and it would taste very good I would imagine. I would think that you could substitute Tilapia if you prefer, since the texture of Tilapia is slightly firm and flaky and the flavor is mild and sweet. One of my personal favorites, and one which is also quite reasonably priced, is Cod. Cod has lean, moist meat with a mild, clean flavor and it’s large, tender flakes make it a lovely white fish to prepare.

As I've said, I do like Seafood, in any and all forms, and we are blessed here in Thomasville to have a local Fish Market where we can purchase Fresh Seafood daily, just like the Restaurants. Of course, I'm actually doubly blessed, since I attended school with two of the original Owner's children and every once in a while, I will get a "slight" break in the prices.

Have A Wonderful Weekend My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/5/2012 1:48:32 AM

Hello Friends,

Pat, here's another artful use of Artchokes that I hope everyone willike. This Chicken is first browned and then simmered with marinated artichoke hearts, mushrooms, white wine and capers. A simple, savory aromatic treat. Easy, moist, and flavorful -- the white wine, artichokes and mushrooms make this chicken dish just perfect for your Valentines Day meal. Delicious served with buttered noodles and fresh greens. Just add a chilled bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and a couple of candles and you're all set.

Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 (14 ounce) can marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon capers

Directions

1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken in oil and butter for 5 to 7 minutes per side; remove from skillet, and set aside.
  2. Place artichoke hearts and mushrooms in the skillet, and saute until mushrooms are brown and tender. Return chicken to skillet, and pour in reserved artichoke liquid and wine. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
  3. Stir in capers, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat; serve immediately. Serves 2-4.

Finally, for a little something sweet, you'll get a dozen heart-shaped cookies from each sheet of Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry and there's three different ways to decorate them.

Puff Pastry Valentine Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 sheet Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry
  • 3 tablespoons caramel topping
  • 3 tablespoons blanched sliced almonds or coconut

Directions

1. Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Roll into 14x10-inch rectangle. Cut out 12 hearts, using a 3 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet. Brush with caramel topping and sprinkle with almonds.
  3. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.

Tip:

For Walnut-Orange Hearts: Brush unbaked pastry hearts with 3 tablespoons orange marmalade and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts. Bake and cool as directed. Or, for Ice Cream Hearts: Sprinkle unbaked pastry hearts with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Bake and cool as directed. Split pastries into 2 layers. Place a small scoop of ice cream in center of each bottom layer and top with top half. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.

Have A Super Saturday My Friends,
Phil
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!