Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
1/19/2012 11:31:13 PM

Hello Everyone,

In tonight's recipe, Chuck roast, potatoes, celery and carrots simmer to tenderness in the slow-cooker with an Italian-inspired tomato sauce made special with Campbell's® Low Sodium Condensed Tomato Soup.

Zesty Slow-Cooker Italian Pot Roast

Ingredients

• 4 medium potatoes, cut into quarters
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen whole baby carrots
  • 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium Italian plum tomato, diced
  • 2 1/2 pounds beef bottom round roasts or beef chuck pot roast
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chopped roasted garlic* or chopped fresh garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar

Directions

1. Place potatoes, carrots, celery and tomato in 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Season roast with pepper and place on top.
  2. Mix soup, water, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley and vinegar. Pour over all.
  3. Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 12 hour or until done. Serves 6.

Have A Happy Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/21/2012 12:45:39 AM
what a delicous meal Phil. yum yum. i'm using low sodium tomato soup to make dinner too. i am making my grandmother's dish BROWN JUG.

PAT

GRANDMA P'S BROWN JUG

2 LBS HAMBURGER (MINUMUM FAT)
1 STALK CELERY, CHOPPED FINE
1/2 MEDIUM ONION CHOPPED FINE
1/4 PRECOOKED RICE - LEFT OVER OR INSTANT
2 tsp SALT
1/2 CUP CATSUP
1 1/2 CUP TOMATO JUICE

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Stir all ingredients well and pour into bean pot. Place in oven. Cook for 30 minutes. Stir it. Bake it for 15 minutes more.

DIDN'T USE TOMATO JUICE. used 1/2 cup left over spaghetti sauce, left over low sodium tomato soup and little bit of diluted catsup.
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/21/2012 2:48:49 AM

Hi Pat,

Sound's delicious, and I bet it's a whole lot healthier than the homemade shine, that my Mom's relatives from up in them thar hills, used to make up in little Brown Jugs. LOL.

I've really tried to be good in my eating habits since the first of the new year, however, on a wintry evening nothing's more cozy than a yumy compote, just like this one with dried cranberries and apricots, apples, and easy canned pie filling.

Slow Cooker Winter Fruit Compote

(2-inch) cinnamon stick
small apples, peeled, sliced
1/3
cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2
cup golden raisins
1/2
cup halved dried apricots
(8-oz.) can pineapple tidbits in unsweetened juice, undrained
1/4
cup sugar
3/4
cup orange juice
(21-oz.) can peach pie filling
  1. Place cinnamon stick in 1 1/2 to 2 1/2-quart slow cooker. Layer with apples, cranberries, raisins, apricots and pineapple with liquid. Sprinkle with sugar. Pour orange juice over top.
  2. Cover; cook on Low setting for 5 to 6 hours.
  3. Just before serving, gently stir mixture. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Gently stir in pie filling, cutting peach slices into smaller pieces as necessary. Serve in small dessert dishes, or the way I prefer, served warm over home-made pound cake or ice cream. Makes 10 (1/2-cup) servings

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2012 11:12:45 PM

Hello Friends,

Tonight, my favorite once again, slow-cooker Pork Roast. This was just awesome served with broccoli and mashed potatoes, and I used the leftovers as pulled pork sandwiches for the family for a few days, without them getting tired of it. It got better and better until it was gone, so I figured it was worth sharing.

Easy Slow Cooker Pork Roast

Ingredients

• 3-1/2 apples with peel, cored and cut into 8 wedges
  • 5/8 large red onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
  • 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 5/8 (24 ounce) jar cinnamon-flavored applesauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste

Directions

1. Place the apples and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
  2. Rub the pork roast with salt and pepper, and place it on the layer of apples and onions in the slow cooker. Pour the applesauce over the roast, and dust the top with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
  3. Cook on High setting for 8 hours. Serve the roast topped with the sauce, apples, and onions. Serves 8.

The rich and creamy cheese sauce in this easy broccoli casserole will have you reaching for seconds.

Broccoli & Cheese

Ingredients

• 3-1/4 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets
  • 1-1/4 (1 pound) loaves processed cheese (i.e. Velveeta®), cubed
  • 1-1/3 cups sour cream
  • 2/3 cup margarine, melted
  • 1-2/3 cups coarsely crushed buttery round crackers

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place the broccoli into a large saucepan and fill with about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, and cook just until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 4 quart casserole dish.
  3. In a separate pan, combine the processed cheese and margarine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese has melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Pour evenly over the broccoli in the casserole. Stir together the crackers and margarine; spread over the top of everything.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is browned, about 25 minutes. Serves 8.

Finally, these Healthier Mashed Potatoes still get an extra kick from a little Dijon mustard.

Dijon Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 4-1/2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup and 2 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
  • 3/4 cup nonfat milk
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • garlic salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place the cubed potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
  2. Drain potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Mash with a potato masher, and gradually mix in the sour cream, nonfat milk, and Dijon mustard. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Serves 6-8.

Hope Your Thursday's Terrific,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2012 5:16:44 PM

Hello My Friends,

Relax and enjoy a stress-free dinner with this Cajun-style slow cooked beef and vegetables roast. Maque choux (pronounced MOCK shoo) means "smothered corn" in Cajun country. This corn is smothered with tomatoes, bell peppers and onions.

Slow Cooker Cajun Pot Roast with Maque Choux

to 2 1/2 lb boneless beef chuck roast
tablespoon Cajun seasoning
box (9 oz) frozen whole kernel corn
1/2
cup chopped onion
1/2
cup chopped green bell pepper
can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/8
teaspoon pepper
1/2
teaspoon red pepper sauce
  1. Rub entire surface of beef roast with Cajun seasoning. In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, place roast. Top with frozen corn, onion and bell pepper.
  2. In small bowl, mix tomatoes, pepper and pepper sauce. Pour over vegetables and roast.
  3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
  4. To serve, cut roast into slices. Using a slotted spoon, remove corn mixture and serve with roast. Makes 6 servings

Have A Happy Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!