Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
9/17/2011 11:24:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's an old recipe I have used for years. Sauerkraut and pork sausage cooked slowly in a slow cooker. As pictured, I served this over a bed of Rice.

Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Sausage

Ingredients

• 1 (20 ounce) can sauerkraut
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground pork sausage
  • 1 onion, sliced

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the sauerkraut and brown sugar. then place in slow cooker. Arrange the sausage and onion over the sauerkraut.
  2. Cook on high for two hours, check for dryness, adding some water if necessary, then reduce to low setting, and cook on low for two more hours. Serves 4-6.

Have A Happy Saturday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2011 7:23:15 PM
Hello Friends,

Here's one for Myrna and Judy, and all of my other Adland friends up around the PA area. This old fashioned pork and sauerkraut is usually served up there on New Year's Day for good luck! Serve it along with mashed potatoes, and some homemade apple sauce for dipping the pork in.

Slow Cooker Lancaster County Pork and Sauerkraut

Ingredients

• 1 (4 pound) pork loin roast
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups sauerkraut with liquid

Directions

1. Cut pork loin, if necessary, to fit in the slow cooker. Season with caraway seeds, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauerkraut over the roast.
  2. Cook on High for 1 hour, then cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours. Internal temperature of the roast should be at least 160 degrees F . Serves 6.
Mashed potatoes make a wonderful accompaniment to most any meal, so keep this recipe handy.

Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash pepper

Directions

1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil; cook for 20-25 minutes or until very tender. Drain well. Add milk, butter, salt and pepper; mash until light and fluffy. Serves 6.
This apple sauce truly is delicious. My grandma used to make it all the time.

Apple Sauce

Ingredients

• 6 apples - peeled, cored and shredded
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions

1. Place shredded apples in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Sprinkle with cinnamon, then add water and cook until the apple bits become soft and mushy.
  2. Stir in brown sugar and mix well. Serves 6.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2011 7:30:10 PM

Hello My Friends,

There are two tricks to this recipe: browning the veal shanks before they go into the slow cooker and reducing the sauce before serving. The result is an osso buco you’d be hard-pressed to distinguish from the labor-intensive classic (trust me).

Slow-Cooker Osso Buco

Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Four 1-1/2- to 2-inch-thick veal shanks (about 2-1/2 lb.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 cup dry white wine
One 14-1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup lower-salt chicken broth
1 small red onion, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into
1/4-inch-thick rounds (1/2 cup)
1 stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
5 sprigs fresh thyme
3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbs. finely grated lemon zest
1 large clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)

Preparation

Put the flour in a wide, shallow dish. Season the veal shanks all over with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour; shake off the excess flour.

Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, and when it foams, add the shanks to the skillet. Cook until golden, turning once, about 10 minutes. Transfer the shanks to a slow cooker.

Add the wine to the skillet. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet and pour the contents of the skillet into the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth, onion, carrot, celery, and thyme. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours—the meat will be very tender and almost falling off the bone.

Transfer the shanks to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a large skillet. Simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 2 cups, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the parsley, lemon zest, and garlic to make a gremolata. Serve the veal shanks topped with the sauce and the gremolata. Serves 4.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/29/2011 9:51:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

Fans of buffalo chicken wings will fall for this spicy, slow-cooked soup! Top each individual serving with crumbled blue cheese to complete the flavor and then add a loaf of Crusty Homemade Bread to sop up the leftovers. Finally, satisfy that sweet tooth with the Apple Streusel Bars.

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili

2 1/2
lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
medium stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
can (28 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, undrained
can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
cup Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
teaspoons chili powder
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/4
cup buffalo wing sauce (from 12-oz jar)
Crumbled blue cheese, if desired
  1. Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix all ingredients except buffalo wing sauce and cheese.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
  3. Stir in buffalo wing sauce. Serve sprinkled with blue cheese. Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)

Oatmeal cookie mix and pie filling make it easy to get a delicious apple pie-like bar.

Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars

pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
1/2
cup firm butter or margarine
packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1/2
cup sugar
tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
teaspoon vanilla
egg
can (21 oz) apple pie filling
1/2
teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4
cup chopped walnuts
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
  2. Place cookie mix in large bowl. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and coarse. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture; press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
  4. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over partially baked crust. In medium bowl, mix pie filling and cinnamon. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Sprinkle with walnuts.
  5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes. Refrigerate to chill, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator. Makes 24 bars.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

+0
9/29/2011 9:58:02 PM

Phil, somehow I always make it to stop by here either early morning or about the time to cook our evening meal. You have made me very hungry, again!!!

I love cheese bars of any flavor, lemon cheese bars are a favorite but have not made any in a long time.

We will start having a lot of those delicious soups and spicy meals when the weather gets cooler. We have been enjoying some nice sunny days lately, with the clear blue skies.

Take care friend and hope you are well.

Hugs,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!