Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSANCE - DURER
4/28/2013 10:57:04 AM

Durer's engravings were just another thing. Actually not that beautiful but overloaded with symbolism and hidden meaning, they must have taken at least half Durer's total worktime. Here is his most famous one, 'Melancholia' (Melencolia I in the original).

Albrecht Durer - Melencolia I (engraving, 1514)

Note: You may read an extraodinary description and interpretation of this no less extraordinary work at Wikipedia here. You may also go here for a fascinating read about Hichcock's related film 'Vertigo' ('Hichcock's Vertigo and Durer's Melencolia').

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/28/2013 5:57:25 PM

Durer's Praying Hands or, simply, Hands, of unknown date, have become a symbol of religious devotion. Website images differ greatly in color, but the one below looked the fairest so I selected it to post here.

Albrecht Durer - Praying Hands (drawing)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/28/2013 8:37:14 PM
Thanks for re-viving this Dürer thread Miguel.
His digging over the depths of human psyche, gives much food to the patient observer, and one who "has eyes to see" - sees in his works invisible threads entangled into yet not quite understood scenery. I do not know Miguel if this happens to you, but in Dürer's works, any difference between alive objects and things somehow vanishes. I can't see separation, like he suggests the very same intrinsic pattern in all that is.

Thank you Miguel :).

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/28/2013 10:47:03 PM

I see mysterious connections everywhere about Durer's works, Branka; but then, it happens frequently with the most genial artists, like they had an arcane knowledge that they wanted to share through hidden clues with people in the knowing but not with anyone else. For example, this happens with Durer's self-portrait of 1500 and also with the below drawing, which incorporates the same sign in the right hand as the one in that self-portrait (and also in almost all old paintings of the Christ Pantocrator) and an equally arcane added one in the left hand too - two signs the exact version of which, yet with both hands rotated to different positions, I have seen in a picture of a statue of the Buddha and in other equally enigmatic images too.

Albrecht Durer - Boy's Hands
(brush drawing, 1506)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2013 10:28:43 PM

Among Durer's works of his formative years (1490 - 1496), this Virgin and Child painted circa 1495 stands out for its great beauty and refined execution.

Albrecht Durer - Virgin and Child before an Archway
(oil on panel, c.1495)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!