Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSANCE - DURER
5/14/2013 1:41:09 AM

Here is Durero's self-portrait of 1498, only second to his self-portrait of 1500.

Albrecht Durer - Self Portrait (oil on panel, 1498)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2013 2:14:08 AM

While some of Durer's portraits, for example his Portrait of Elsbeth Tucher, still project Medieval echoes, others definitely
belong in the Renaissance. I would count among these the other two portraits shown below.

Albrecht Durer - Portrait of Elsbeth Tucher (oil on panel, 1499)

Albrecht Durer - Portrait of Oswolt Krel (oil on panel, 1499)

Albrecht Durer - Portrait of a Young Venetian Woman (oil on panel, 1505)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2013 2:48:11 AM

This portrait of Hieronymus Holzshuher, painted more than twenty years after the one of the young Venetian woman and only two years before Durer's own death, was a nice surprise for me, as I must confess I had no idea it existed. Full of vigor and energy, this portrait is - on all accounts - an extraordinary master work.

Albrecht Durer - Portrait of Hieronymus Holzshuher (oil on panel, 1526)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 1:11:47 AM
Dear friends, I would like to present now, and in the few next posts, three major, unique religious works by Albrecht Durer which like the recently shown portrait of Elsbeth Tucher, and although pretty advanced in their execution, look definitely medieval in their general features as evidenced, for example, by the fact that only their main characters are full-sized. Here is the first one, the magnificent Paumgartner Altar painted circa 1503, with its central panel shown immediately below and individually for a better appreciation.

Albrecht Durer - Paumgartner Altar (oil on lime panel, c.1503)

Albrecht Durer - Paumgartner Altar (central panel)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 1:40:14 AM
Now here is Durer's most celebrated Adoration of the Magi of 1504, certainly one of the top landmarks in the history of art for its magnificence and the profusion of wonderful details (see, for example, the rounded, convoluted clouds on the above-right corner of the painting and Caspar's rich garments).

Albrecht Durer - Adoration of the Magi (oil on wood, 1504)

Albrecht Durer - Adoration of the Magi (detail, 1504)

Albrecht Durer - Adoration of the Magi (detail, 1504)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!