Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSANCE - DURER
5/15/2013 2:03:54 AM

To complete the trio dedicated to the Savior's life and death, here is Durer's Lamentation for Christ of 1500 - 1503, equally medieval in its character and also rich in wonderful details - including the snowy mountains and the looming nocturnal sky on top of it with the people surrounding the prostrate figure.

Albrecht Durer - Lamentation for Christ (oil on panel, 1500 - 1503)

Albrecht Durer - Lamentation for Christ (detail)

Albrecht Durer - Lamentation for Christ (detail)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 2:49:45 AM
This other major religious masterpiece stands alone by its own right. I find it so impressive that whenever I have the opportunity to watch it, I become speechless at its otherworldly beauty and magnificence. And who is the mysterious man standing alone at the right of the picture? (See at the bottom of this post) Can it be Albrecht Durer himself who has wanted to also be there, together with the rich and most powerful dignitaries, on the occasion of the presentation of the Lord by his own Mother?

Albrecht Durer - Feast of the Rose Garlands (oil on poplar panel, 1506)

Albrecht Durer -
Feast of the Rose Garlands (detail)

Albrecht Durer -
Feast of the Rose Garlands (detail)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 3:22:20 AM
Close to ending this section, I would like to post what is perhaps the greatest religious work of Albrecht Durer: The Adoration of the Holy Trinity (also known as The Landauer Altar). Like I myself, I am sure you will readily get immersed in its beauty and magnificence.

Albrecht Durer -
Adoration of the Holy Trinity (Landauer Altar)
(oil on lindenwood, 1511)

Albrecht Durer - Adoration of the Holy Trinity
(oil on lindenwood, 1511)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 4:28:36 AM

At the risk of inducing an anticlimax on my friends and visitors after the magnificent religious works just posted, I will present now what I consider to be perhaps the very best of Durer's late masterpieces - at least as a painter in oil, and even beyond his great The Four Holy Men of 1526 (see page 6 of this thread): this wonderful portrait of
Johannes Kleberger, also of 1526.

Albrecht Durer - Portrait of Johannes Kleberger
(oil on lindenwood, 1526)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2013 1:42:57 AM

Dear friends, I would like to now post a few of Albrecht Durer's outstanding works in watercolor and gouache - two mediums he was most adept to over his entire lifetime. I will begin with the wonderful watercolor and gouache with which this thread was started in the first place (here pretty enlarged): Pond in the Woods, produced around 1496, during Durer's first travel of study to Italy (he made two, the second being in 1505-06).

Albrecht Durer - Pond in the Woods
(
watercolor and gouache, c. 1496)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!