Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Warning Letter to Internet Marketers on Fuel Saving Products From The FTC
8/21/2007 1:41:29 AM
Here is The Warning Letter to Internet Marketers on Fuel Saving Products From The FTC.

Found here:  http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2002/04/energysurfletter.shtm

United States of America
Federal Trade Commission
Washington D.C. 20580

VIA E-MAIL & CERTIFIED U.S. MAIL
RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

Dear ______________:

Your website claims that your automotive product increases gas mileage and lowers fuel costs. This letter provides you with information regarding the Federal Trade Commission Act ("FTC Act"), 15 U.S.C. § 41 et seq., which prohibits deceptive marketing practices, including false and unsubstantiated advertising. Gas-savings and related claims that are not supported by competent and reliable scientific evidence may violate the FTC Act.

Over the years, the FTC has taken law enforcement action against numerous sellers who misrepresented the benefits of purported fuel-saving products, from gas-line magnets to engine treatments. We have not yet determined whether your advertising violates the FTC Act. We have, however, copied and preserved your online advertising because it contains specific gas-savings claims. If your website misrepresents the benefits of your product, makes claims that lack credible scientific substantiation, or is otherwise deceptive or fraudulent, you should stop making those claims or revise them appropriately right away. Otherwise, you may be subject to legal action that could require you to stop your advertising and to pay money back to consumers.

In evaluating your advertising, please consider the following:

• Gas-Savings Claims Must Be Backed By Scientific Evidence. Any direct or implied claim about the efficiency, gas savings, fuel consumption, emission reduction, operation cost, cost recovery, or "payback,"of a fuel-saving product must be substantiated by competent and reliable scientific evidence, such as testing, before the claim is made. A "competent and reliable scientific test" is a test in which persons qualified by professional training, education and experience formulate and conduct the test and evaluate its results in an objective manner using procedures that are generally accepted by such professionals to attain valid and reliable results.
  • Distributors/Catalogers Have a Duty to Ensure the Manufacturer Has Credible Substantiation. Before you repeat an energy-related claim made by a third-party manufacturer, you must determine that the manufacturer possesses competent and reliable scientific evidence substantiating the representation. If the "proof" isn't plausible or looks questionable, you should proceed cautiously. Stick to ad copy that can be supported. If you embellish the manufacturer's representations or make your own claim, you are responsible for having competent and reliable scientific evidence to back up your claim.
  • Disclosures Must Be Conspicuous. When you make a disclosure to avoid deception, it must be clear and understandable, and be made prominently and in close proximity to the claim it modifies. A disclosure cannot remedy a false claim.
  • Use Care When Making "Up to" Claims. In substantiating maximum or "up to..." claims (e.g., "save up to 40%"), you should not rely on an unusual or "outlier" test result. The advertised result should be one that the average consumer can reasonably expect to achieve.
  • References to Tests or Standards Must Be Accurate. If your advertising refers to any product testing or to any review or approval by a government or other organization, the representation must be true and must not misrepresent the purpose, content or conclusion of the test, review or approval. Similarly, if you claim that your product meets certain government or industry specifications or requirements, the claim must be true and may not misrepresent the purpose or content of such specifications or requirements.
  • Exercise Care in Using Testimonials or "Case Studies." Consumer testimonials or case studies can never be used to make a claim that the advertiser itself cannot substantiate. A statement that not all consumers will get the same results is not a legally acceptable substitute for substantiating your product claims.

We have enclosed by U.S. mail consumer education brochures and press releases concerning some recent FTC fuel-saving cases. These explain some of our concerns about deceptive advertising for fuel-saving products.

The FTC is the U.S. government agency responsible for enforcing a number of federal consumer protection laws, including the FTC Act. You can obtain further information about the FTC by visiting http://www.ftc.gov. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Mr. Joel N. Brewer at (202) 326-2967 or jbrewer@ftc.gov.

Sincerely,

Elaine D. Kolish
Associate Director for Enforcement

+0
Re: Warning Letter to Internet Marketers on Fuel Saving Products From The FTC
8/21/2007 4:12:53 AM

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for posting this letter from the FTC. I saw alot of stuff posted about Ubiee and was even asked to join the program but after thoroughly looking this program over I did not join.

From everything that I have seen and read about Ubiee I do not believe their claims nor do I trust their business. I saw some personal testimonials but I would like to know where is all the scientific proof they have to back up the claims they are making. Anyone can say anything about a product or program, but without proof it is not true.

People involved with this program should look at another product...Dipetane...and see all the extensive scientific evidence they have to support their claims. They have a 10+ year study of their product, have government tests, in fact, they even have OSHA MSDS sheets that people can look at and read.

People need to understand that just because some may be making money with a program for a while does not mean it is a legitimate business. We have seen this over time and time again, such as with the $7 Miracle and 12DailyPro! So, just be careful what you get involved with.

Thanks again Kenneth! Nice job as always!

God Bless You,

Love Marilyn

*Note - This post is not directed at anyone in particular and if anyone feels that it is than perhaps you need to look within yourself and ask yourself why you feel that way. This is purely my observations of Ubiee.

Marilyn L Martin
"The ALP & TGAMM Couple"
"Rick & Marilyn Martin...Married 11/17/06"
Spiderweb Marketing http://thespiderwebsystem.com/jamila

Traffic Tornado
http://traffictornado.com/x/p2.cgi/6053/

+0
8/21/2007 5:50:50 AM

Hi Kenneth,

Thats a lot to take in,sometimes you don't realize that a lot of stuff you join on the internet,such as a business opportunity can have the governments controlling chains wrapped around you to keep people from bettering our current energy problems.

I joined Ubiee,for its money making opportunity not really its claims on its fuel pill,I thought if this enviro thing is legitament its a great side benefit.

Thats amazing what our government will do to keep people from trying to find alternative ways of improving fuel and our planet.

I hope this will not be the fate of Ubiee,I believe in being apart of things that are life chancing for the good of everyone.

Thanks for the info,

Steve

+0
8/21/2007 7:06:56 AM
  Hey Kenneth

It is about time someone started getting the word out about these

people that claim to have a product to help with gas milage. I have been an

auto technician for over 25 years and have seen many of these claims and

to my knowledge none have worked to any extent to make them a wise

purchase. With all the standards being put on the auto industry to meet

milage standards dont you think that if these products we worth a hill

of beans they would be all over them

Bruce
+0
Lucy Walker

241 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/21/2007 10:58:41 AM

Hi Ken,

Once again, thanks for the heads up.

It is a difficult call.

In some ways I feel a bit

more at ease knowing that the FTC has its ears on.

Sometimes an slick unscrupulous entity can divest

millions of their time and money without anyone being the wiser.

My hat is off to the FTC.

Sincerely,

Lucy

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!