Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: OK, then... Let's just break all the rules!
5/13/2007 8:58:17 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info about our friend Neil. look forward to him getting in touch.

I am indebted to you for pointing out my faux pas.

How the innocent use of loose language can cause mis-understandings of intent and even dissension -Lol!

I became confused with the current fashionable dictionary defnition of 'therapy' being the treatment of a disease or disorder, and the real life solution of 'doing' something is the best form of therapy. I am also reminded that "when you are in a hole, the best thing to do is stop digging".

Moving quickly on! Very interesting that your forum and traffic program is being hit badly by spammers. We also had this from last November. I guess what was happening was that people were buying and using 'adblaster' software which contained 1000s of forums, traffic programs, blogs and so on. The filled in some detail including false email added their ad and then sent the robot off to do the dirty work. The only way I could stop this effectively was to use the 'member activate' facility which stopped the posts as the offender was unable to activate their membership. I also went through the removing hassle before adopting the above approach, just to find they were back next day. I guess that their report of failure to post has had me removed from their target list. How the innocent get sucked in?

Great forum and balance. Keeping watch for more.

Happy Mother's Day to all qualifiers and have a Great Day everyone!

Peter. 

Network Your Way to Success. It's Fun! http://www.thenorthdevontimes.co.uk - You can have one or more!
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/13/2007 4:10:16 PM
Hi Mary,

The story of the well is one of my favorites.  I was raised on a farm with a pump like the one in the story.  We had to pour water down it in order to prime it, or you could pump all day and never get a drop of water out of it.

Your point, that an "I" society that only looks out for number one can't survive is all too true, and we are seeing the problems with such a society even now in North America, at least.

Individual rights are being given precidence ahead of the community, which is quite backwards and detrimental to society as a whole.  The rights of the community MUST outweigh the rights of the individual or else the rights of many individuals will be trampled on!

Just as in the case of the well story, if the person who reads the note drinks the water out of the bucket because it is their "right" to look out for number one, the next person who comes along will go thirsty.  How is that right?

Rules are put in place to create order so that everyone has a measure of safety, security and enjoyment.  Without them, only the strongest, meanest individuals survive.  Is that the kind of society we want to create?

God bless,

Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2007 1:23:50 PM
Hi Peter, Neil is very much looking forward to hearing from you. He is most pleased that you want to stay in contact. My best form of therapy for stress is to go dig in the garden or to go fishing in the mountains! (doing! lol!) I've had to take the same approach as you for my communities - require activation. I've actually been doing it manually to start, which has enabled me to ban several repeat offenders and greatly cut down on the work load. However, I get ten or more every day who still are trying to get through. Grrrrrrrrr.... God bless, Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!