Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The Mythology Behind Global Warming
4/14/2007 3:33:34 AM
Hi Robert, Thank you for your post. My goal, as ever, is not to convince anybody of anything, but to help my friends to question what they are told and to dig deeper. We are, after all, not lemmings, but human beings. God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2007 3:54:44 AM
Hi Jenny, Yes, we absolutely do have a responsibility to take care of our planet. It is pure insanity to fill it with filth and pollutants that shorten our lives and destroy the natural beauty of the landscape so that our children and grandchildren never get to enjoy it. There is much ongoing debate about the effects of pollution on the ozone layer. More and more scientists are beginning to strongly suspect that it, too, is cyclical. The biggest holes in the ozone layer are over the least populated areas on earth - the Arctic and the Antarctic. Furthermore, although chlorofluorocarbons have been banned for many years, the effect of the ban has been almost negligible. We removed a product that was actually quite environmentally friendly in the quantities mankind produced and used, and replaced it with many products that, while ozone friendly, are actually more harmful than the products they replaced. In a study (sorry - I haven't got the source at the moment) that came out some twenty years ago or more, scientists discovered that plankton was responsible for more than 90% of the chlorofluorocarbons that go into the atmosphere! The removal of old forests can be very healthy for the planet - if they are replanted and allowed to regrow. It has been proven quite clearly that young, vigourous growth removes far more carbon from the atmosphere than old, mature forests, AND provides much more food for animals. One thing that must be remembered, though, is that crops such as grass, sugar cane, soy, etc., are not the same as trees and do not do the same job as trees. Pavement, of course, is, in itself, a pollutant! We DO have the ability to make this planet a much cleaner, nicer place to live. We COULD share much more of the food we grow in countries with abundance, could run our vehicles on clean fuel such as hydrogen, could stop shooting up countries around the globe with depleted uranium and all the other chemicals that go into weaponry, could walk more, bike more and drive less.... but due to our nature, I think most of us will wait for the "other guy" to do it. I think, perhaps, that global warming, whatever might be the cause, is the least of our worries. God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2007 4:02:18 AM
Hi Linda, Kudos go to you for being a good mother! Not only did your choices help to keep the environment cleaner, but your child benefited greatly, as well. You are right - there are millions without good drinking water and food, but that's not because there are too many people on the planet. That is simply another myth. Far more than enough food is produced annually to feed everyone on the globe, and there is plenty of water, as well. The reason people are starving in some countries is not because of overpopulation - it's because of greed. If the haves shared with the have nots, no one would go hungry. What is almost sickening right now is the fact that we are growing corn and other consumable crops for... guess what?... for making ethanol for our cars!! Valuable farm land is being used not to grow food for people to eat, but to make a so-called "clean" fuel for cars to burn and further pollute the atmosphere. Now, if we switched to a fuel like hydrogen, which is definitely more expensive at the moment, guess what we'd get when we burned it? Water!! What a concept. God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2007 4:17:57 AM
Hi Neil, You're right - things are always changing. What is quite amazing is the fact that everything continues to work! God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2007 4:22:59 AM
Hi Jill, I know you are one who is always digging! (and one who always seem to have a most refreshingly positive attitude!) I checked out your link - it is a most interesting read... hmmm.... it's worth doing a Google search of "photon belt." I've seen it before, but thought the idea had died out. While it is an interesting idea, there seems to be a rather large lacking in scientific data for something that should be very simple to validate. Anyway, I'll keep digging as time permits. God bless, Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!