Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Mythology Behind Global Warming
4/13/2007 3:03:55 PM
Hi everyone, It's pretty hard to live in this age of instant and global media and communications without having heard the doom and gloom about global warming being preached around the world. Sadly, the majority of people hearing these prophecies of impending disaster will believe them simply because they heard it in the media, or because "scientists" say so. Does anybody check anything out anymore? Why is it that so many people choose to simply believe anything they hear or read in the news? Just because a reporter makes a statement, perhaps quoting someone else who is supposed to be highly educated and intelligent doesn't make something true! Good science suggests that the average global temperature is on a climbing trend, and how high it will go is simply not known. However, good science does NOT have solid evidence that human activity is contributing to the global rise in temperature, nor that we can do anything to stop it, nor that it is anything other than part of an ages old cycle that has been going on since time began. The fact is (and I encourage you to do some research to check out what I'm saying), our planet is still slightly cooler than it was approximately 600 years ago. We are in what some scientists call a "mini ice age." (Type that into Google search.) Archaeological, geological, and written records show that the climate was some 3 to 5 degrees warmer prior to 1400 AD than it is today. Here are only a few examples of the evidence: Kings records from England recorded the wine grape harvests in northern England prior to 1400. After 1400, the temperature and growing season made it impossible to grow the grapes any longer. Wheat crops failed in Scotland, and it was no longer possible to grow wheat to maturity. The first records of ice completely surrounding Iceland occurred around 1400 AD. Viking graves have been discovered under the permafrost in Greenland. There is no evidence to suggest that Vikings ever dug through permafrost or that they even had tools that would allow them to do so. Many scientists now think that the Black Plague was so devastating, not simply because of the disease, itself, but because of malnutrition caused by the sudden drop in global temperature that made it impossible to grow certain key crops that had always been grown in Europe. There is much, much more, and I strongly to encourage you to dig into it. You'll find it a real eye-opener. Among some of the things you will discover is that a growing number of scientists now believe that our global average temperatures are almost completely controlled by fluctuations in the sun. Scientists who do not make headline news are predicting a modern day ice age especially in Europe due to a slowing of the North Atlantic Current. Artifacts are being discovered in areas previously thought to have always been covered in ice and snow that suggest that people lived in those areas quite recently (within the last thousand years or so.) Short term climactic trends are consistently incorrectly predicted by the experts (last year was supposed to be one of the worst hurricane years EVER, but in fact, it was the one that almost didn't happen, with practically nothing even noticeable ever making landfall. Note that these same scientists are trying to make up for the bad guess last year by predicting that THIS year will be one of the most disastrous hurricane years we have ever seen. I guess that if you predict doom long enough, your chances of being right once do go up!! If you are one of the many people around the world who has accepted the idea that global warming is a reality caused by human activity, it's time to back up, do your due diligence, and dig into the facts. Starting is as easy as a Google search. Remember, just because human activity can't do something as drastic as completely changing the climate, we CAN and often DO make a big mess. It's our responsibility to keep this planet, our land, air and water, clean, not just for ourselves, but for every creature and new generation arriving here. God bless, Dave
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The Mythology Behind Global Warming
4/13/2007 3:45:38 PM
Hello Dave,

Thank you for the invitation to a good topic of
conversation and thought.

I agree, the media does seem to have the 'gloom
and doom syndrome' and have far too much influence
and power over the general population.

Bad news, gossip, heresay, sensationalism sells
papers and magazines, TV air time etc - the truth,
good news, uplifting stories, happy, celebrationary
news does not. 

Remember, just because human activity can't do something as drastic as completely changing the climate, we CAN and often DO make a big mess. It's our responsibility to keep this planet, our land, air and water, clean, not just for ourselves, but for every creature and new generation arriving here.

I also agree, that we need to clean our respective
areas from garbage, we have become a huge throw
away population and much of this disposable
containers etc can not be burned without putting
more polutions in the air, put down the kitchen
disposal unit, or use for compost because it will
not decompose.  It is all put into the land fill of
the local rubbish dump and will last for who knows
how many years.  Workers actually have to dig holes
into the piles to pour gallons of water to cool off the
ground because of compustion leading to smouldering
and fire.  One does not know what kind of damage
and extra warming this does to our invironment.

What ever happened to the good old cloth nappies
(diapers) that you actually washed and put out on
the line to dry that was actually less likely to cause
skin rashes that babies get these days from the
plastic and other matterials used in store bought.

Kind regards
Amanda

+0
Joe
Joe Downing

9720 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/13/2007 3:51:24 PM

Dave,

Bravo!  As a former Geologist, I can tell you that this has been studied for years and I still have no idea where anyone come up with data that shows likewise.  Also, the earth's orbit goes into different orientations where it is closer to the sun and further from the sun at different times.  We live in a fluctuating universe.  It is going to be hot, warm, normal, cool and cold at times.  Maybe I'm missing something, but what?  :)  Like you said, it wouldn't hurt to clean up some things around this ball.  Thank you for posting this.  Bravo!

***ADLAND BULLETIN BOARD*** What is Xtreme X2O? ###Get some X2O and Jerky RADICAL for the TRUTH! Laus Deo! ** HUG DEPARTMENT: Always OPE
+0
Robert Talmadge

2047 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/13/2007 3:59:35 PM

HI Dave,

This is an excellent article on climate. I am impressed. These days it is a good idea to do our due diligence on what is passed on by the media.

Robert

Robert Talmadge To follow your dream, follow your heart. http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/17474/ShowForum.aspx
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/13/2007 4:06:27 PM
Hi Dave,

This is not the first time I have read an article that suggests that our global warming may be due to factors far greater than anything influenced by man.  And it is becoming a school of thought far more widespread over recent months.

What I do believe however is man's repsonsibility is that in many countries we are  suffering more from the effects of the sun rather than its increased or decreased temperature- due to industrial and other man made forms of destruction of the ozone layer above our continents. 

I saw a first hand example of this when a South African friend of mine suffered a skin reaction to the cool sun in March here in the mediterrean, part of industrialised Europe, but suffers no ill effects in her own relatively unindustrialised continent, where the ozone layer is better preserved.

Equally, destruction of natural resources - such as the rain forests and the destruction of natural vegetation and  deaforestation of land for  modern building purposes and the consequent damage to the  environment we live in.

This is also in the hands of man to stop or at least to turn our thoughts to sustainable growth, which is matter that has been pending for far too long.

It may not affect the temperature of our earth - but it will go a long way to making it more healthy, safe  and pleasant  to live in.

Saludos
Jenny

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!