Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: What you can find at Arts and Craft Fairs
1/28/2007 11:00:22 AM
Hi Jill Buddy

I think you are quite "craftie" enough without learning to be an artesan.  You are our spritiual craftsman here.

Thanks for your offer of a link - I suggest that the Arts Exhibitions link and Rose's Artshow will be the most suitable - that is where the work is displayed.  This is MEANT to be a discussion forum on ways to sell our work!!!  Although I would a link to that too.

Thanks for your visit - us craftsmen need PUBLIC!!!

Lots of love
Jenny

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Arts and Craft Fairs - Good places to buy and sell?
2/3/2007 12:04:28 PM

Hi Jenny.  Good topic for arts and crafts people.  I used to make and sell my arts &  crafts items and my dolls in Oregon & Washington, USA but quit in 2001.

Things have really changed in my area. I USED sold my crafts in CRAFTER'S MALLS but they've just about all our out of business now. It was hard to compete because the owners rented a "craft booth" to people who DIDN'T MAKE the items. THEY BOUGHT CHEAP IMPORTS and sold those.

We still have fairs etc, there are a few BIG Arts & Craft short term events. One that is still around is still going is called "EVERY HUSBAND'S NIGHTMARE".  People in the Pacific NW can still participate in the event. The link is here http://www.nightmarebazaar.com/  There is also a BIG summer fair in Downtown Vancouver, Washington USA. It is a Farmer's market and they sell homegrown produce and hand crafted items.  They jury the items so that quality is allowed.   Great topic everyone.  Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Rosalind Brinson

82 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/3/2007 2:52:54 PM

Hello again!

I was away for a little while so my apologies for the delay.

The Crafts Report Magazine link is: http://www.craftsreport.com

I make beaded jewelry and other gift items. Most of my products are on my website. I need more items in order to move to a fair/show. One should have enough products to last at least one day. And enough to display. A sparse booth or table is not appealing. LOL

My craft time is limited since I work full time, help my mom, and plan to return to college to finish my Bachelor's degree. I'm contemplating a career change also--life coach or full counseling (which means graduate school). At 42, it's a lot to consider.

I love beading, especially loomwork. (My loom projects will be available soon.) Recently began to look at air-dry polymer clay for home decor items.

+0
Sheryl Loch

1260 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/4/2007 3:07:59 AM

"EVERY HUSBAND'S NIGHTMARE"

What a great show!!! Been there - done that!!

I did allot of crafts fairs when I lived in Western Washington. At that time I  had wooden plant hangers, canvas pots, wooden garden markers, yard decorations & grew all the plants (I sold them to go in the pots) in my greenhouse. Here in Vegas we have no shows worth a crap unless you have big $$$$$$$$$, they are tour shows. I only do the greeting cards now, I still have some picture frames to match the cards but shipping them is a pain. We may do the farmers market here so Cait can sell her CD fish & hemp braiding. selling my cards on line is sometimes hard because until you actually see one most people don't understand the work involved. They also think it is a printed card, even when I tell them the pictures are cut from fabric.

For anyone reading this that is NOT a vendor here is a word of warning!!!

NEVER stand in a booth & say (even under your breath)

"Oh, that would be easy to make"

I was at a show with many vendors that I knew. We were all sick of this particular show (the people were nasty)! On the second day I brought scissors, fabric, full sheet card stock, cutters....all the things needed to make a simple card (they were lucky I didn't bring saws & sanders). A group of ladies walked up & announced that they would not pay $4.00 for a plain card with pictures glued on it that their kids could do. Needless to say, I pulled out all of the supply's & LOUDLY told them to go ahead & make as many cards as they wanted RIGHT NOW! 1 lady did fumble around but, had no clue where to start. They all walked off. None of them bought any of my stuff that day. The next day 2 of them came back & bought all kinds of things. The other vendors took Cait & I out for dinner.

Sorry to ramble,

Sheryl

+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Arts and Craft Fairs - Good places to buy and sell?
2/4/2007 9:05:30 AM
Hi Pat,

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit to the Oregan Craft Fair link you sent us.  It looks like a very interesting fair for people in that area .  And some of the outgoing links are worth pursuing!

One comment that you make about juried fairs - they are often far better places to exhibit and sell.  Sometimes you cannot get in - if your work doesnt fit the theme - and sometimes you can.  But when you do - they, in my opinion, attract a far better quality of buying public.  Especially when they are advertised to the public indicating this fact.

Our own Fair is very much juried, and we make clear to the public in our adverts that it a Fair full of work hand made by professional artisans. and that it is available direcct from the artisan, cutting out the middle man.  So they come there expecting quality work and prepared to pay realistic prices.

At the "anything goes, first come first served" fairs - you may get lucky and you may waste your time.

Your other coment about imported "artesania" is a subject for a whole other forum!  lol  It is my hobby horse.  Artesans all over the western world are being forced to give long established traditional work - as they cannot compete with cheap foreign imports made using exploited labour and subsidized by their governements (the far east is the main culprit here - as they ignore copyrights and few artisans have the money to take them to court - even if they could).  But that is for another time another forum - see you there Pat and frineds! lol

It is good to see people with hands on experience of craft work  posting here.

Love
Jenny

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!