Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: POLL: Should personal attacks be allowed? Anonymous vote.
9/27/2006 4:01:21 AM
Hi Linda,

I'm online just for a very short time, but I didn;t want to miss this forum!
Even if this is an anonymous vote, I have no troble in saying that I voted NO! I consider personal attacks having no use in any circumstances! They never lead to any good. It is much better to have a confruntation of ideas using non-agresive words, with respect to the other party.
I think there are onlu so very few ABSOLUTE things that has only one perspective.
WIth respect,
Anamaria
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/27/2006 5:00:37 AM
Hi Linda,

After reading Kathy's post, I wanted to make a general comment on attacks  on women -  and please dont forget that  we are talking about on line attacks on forums and posts - not physical or mental abuse.

I cannot agree with the distinction made in her post between attacks on female members  and attacks on male members.  In the past week I have seen some of the most vicious personal "postal" attacks that I have ever seen "on-line" at Adland posted by a woman.  I have seen vitriol from the pens of women members, and even a couple of threats, that I hope I will never see again in an Adland Pro forum.

Under these circumstances I do not believe that the fact that you are a women should protect a member who makes abusive posts (or PMs for that matter)

It is no good posting abuse and then crying "I am a woman" when you dont like the consequences..

I believe in "vive la diference" - but if some loses their sense of decent  behaviour - I dont see that they should expect special treatment because of their gender.

Saludos
Jenny

+0
Geir Sjaastad

138 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/27/2006 8:10:47 AM
Hi  Jenny. Compleletly agree with you. This have nothing to do with the sexes.
Attacs on people directly should be a NO. Warnings about programs people are running is a yes if there are evidence.

Geir

Klogswork for Teamwork

Home: Klogswork

Blog: Working with MLM

+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/27/2006 11:50:20 PM
Hi, Linda Just popping in for a moment. I voted no, then reading the rest of the comments remembered that I had soundly berated a person in a forum for saying that promoting 'opportunities' like 12DP is fine, even knowing that they will fold. He said the key is to get out before that happens. I still think that attitude is sleazy, and I would repeat my remarks to such a person in a heartbeat. I stand by my remarks to him, though I don't remember specifically what I said. I just remember being disgusted and saying so. It was in Dave Cottrell's forum, and people whom I respect seconded me. If that is a maybe, then my vote was wrong. In general, though, I'd like to see everyone get along, or agree civilly to disagree. The egregious examples of personal attacks among well-known and highly visible members over the late spring and summer this year were sickening and I did my best to distance myself from them. I also personally don't like to see veiled references to threats and attacks. Psychologically, it's like passing an auto accident. You know it's none of your business and that you probably can't help, but most people just have to look. Reading a forum like that is like picking at a sore and can only make it worse. Just say no to petty personal disputes. Refuse to participate. Stop feeding a fire and it dies. Cheri
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/30/2006 9:23:34 AM
"Refuse to participate. Stop feeding a fire and it dies." That's definitely one way to deal with it Cheri. I must say though, the most effective way to combat this sort of thing that I have seen, has to be how Linda deals with it with her two simple rules. They have existed pretty much since she started this forum and she has made a point of "enforcing them". There's no question as to what "is" and "is not" acceptable I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech but even then there has to be clearly defined boundries. No, I don't think personal attacks should be allowed in any forum. Forums are a place to hold discussions and are a means of communicating and sharing thoughts and ideas.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!