Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Len
Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Humor and Health
9/12/2006 2:10:31 PM
Hello Adland Friends, This forum will be on those things that deal with humor and health issues. I read this article from a medical newsletter recently and wanted to share this with you. It explains the saying "laughter is the best medicine!" I hope you will find it interesting! ________________________________ Think of the last time you laughed so hard you were in tears. Did you know that, along with the good time you were having, you were getting a good workout? Laughter has been called "internal jogging", and a great belly laugh can provide up to forty-five minutes of relaxation. Here is how it works: Laughter is a series of spasms of the diaphragm. The spasms contain more oxygen. They also help to clean out the lungs. At the same time, the heart is pumping more blood and oxygen to all parts of the body. Circulation and muscle tone improve. Blood pressure is lowered, too. All this activity increases the rate of digestion. That's reason enough for several laughs a day. What else happens when I laugh? Glad you asked! LOL Your brain releases pain-reducing, chemicals called endorphins into the blood stream that help the healing process. So humor isn't just a laughing matter-it's serious business. What if you are in pain and don't feel like laughing? Just fake it! Endorphins can be tricked into action if you just smile. A sense of humor, however, is more important than just laughter. The ability to see the humor in a situation is as important as the laughter itself. A sense of humor lets you be productive and roll with the punches at the same time. To build up your sense of humor, start with how you see yourself. Once you learn to take yourself less seriously, chances are you'll become more tolerant of others. Can you see the humor in your own flaws? Can you laugh at your own mistakes? Being able to laugh at yourself with love and acceptance builds the foundation for a healthy outlook toward yourself and the world around you. Add "having a good time" to your defintion of success! ~by Karla Carr~ _____________________________________ Have a great day everyone and remember to laugh more...it's good for you! Your friend, Leonard Berghoef
Start a 2nd income and get out of debt! http://alturl.com/aw4yv
+0
Tanya V.

683 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Humor and Health
9/12/2006 2:18:54 PM

Hi Leonard!

It is so true that laughter is the best medicine.  It also puts one in a positive mind set which can only be good for your health.

Thanks for the invitation to this forum.  Sounds interesting, and I look forward to future posts.  :)

+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/12/2006 2:22:12 PM

Hi Leonard,

WHat a great article. I love to laugh!! We do a lot of it in my family.

Thank you for the article.Hosted by SparkleTags.com

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Lucy Walker

241 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/12/2006 2:27:26 PM

Hi Leonard,

Yes, I do believe in that concept. As a matter of fact, I have friends that I call regularly because they can always get a laugh out of me and make me cheer up. It does help relieve the pain or at least gets your mind off it.

I guess I have to learn to laugh at myself more often. Sometimes I do, but it is never that deep belly laugh that my friend Maria can get out of me.

I guess that is one of the real values in friends. They can help you do things you wouldn't or couldn't do for yourself.

Lucy

http://trafficswarm.com/go.cgi?547335

http://www.yourpersonalshopperdirect.com

+0
Barb Doyle

1469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/12/2006 2:30:20 PM

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the article. Most people are way too serious and don't laugh near enough. I don't remember the numbers but someone compared the number of times a child laughs to that of an adult and the number dropped drastically.

Here is something a friend recently sent me that will put a smile on your face!

A Mom was concerned about her kindergarten son
walking to school. He didn't want his mother to walk
with him. She wanted to give him the feeling that he
had some independence but yet know that he was safe.

So she had an idea of how to handle it. She
asked a neighbor, Mrs. Goodnest, if she would please
follow him to school in the mornings, staying at a
distance, so he probably wouldn't notice her.

Mrs. Goodnest said that since she was up
early with her toddler anyway, it would be a good
way for them to get some exercise as well, so she
agreed.

The next school day, Mrs. Goodnest and her
little girl, Marcy, set out following behind Timmy
as he walked to school with another neighbor boy he
knew. She did this for the whole week.

As the boys walked and chatted, kicking
stones and twigs, Timmy's little friend noticed the
same lady was following them as she seemed to do
every day all week. Finally he said to Timmy, "Have