Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Social networking and the weird guy talking to himself...
7/27/2006 8:52:06 AM
Hi Gary,

Glad to see and read your well thought out words again.

I do enjoy bantering with you, Linda, and the crew.

I enjoy it too much. That is why I have limited myself from visiting as I gather you have.

I am glad you got the popups sorted out for you.

I am one of those that likes them, go figure. In analyzing myself it is because I am always looking for more information about people first because I am more logical than emotional and the possiblility that someone might have something that will help me. I am like the Number 5 is alive guy, need input. I like AdlandPro because that input is less noisy that the other social networking sites which I have said before often run on hormones than business ideas.

Cheers

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
7/27/2006 9:27:39 AM
Hi Linda,

It just occurred to me one of the reasons I like one of the features of downloading headers of email instead of the whole email, that way I get to see who sent and what they sent before being exposed to all they sent. I delete 90% that way.

It might seem strange, but I use the popups that way. They delete themselves, LOL I am like that robot that was famous for saying Number 5 is Alive. I seem to crave information. I sort it away for future reference. I am a member of many other social networks but the noise there is far greater than the noise here.

I rarely see you or any of the other members of this forum in my forums. ( Thanks for the congratulations on being a grandfather  :-)   ) I have seen where Gary (and most members of your forums it appears ) hold little respect for most members of AdlandPro or the world in general or so it seems to me unless they appear and post something you and Gary approve of. It appears that your filters are more on a personal level. I know that is not meant to be an insult on your part, you are just pickier on how much noise you want to listen to.

I would liken it to those who tolerate a good stereo and those who like a BOSE. Some say the BOSE is the best. Some say there are better.

It can be interpreted as a moral high ground or mental high ground in a way. The silence ( meaning rare appearances in others forums) to many is offensive on a different scale but like the verbal assault by those who have been mentioned as causing disgust in other forums. Disgust because of their actions in name calling etc. because they could hardly tollerate the opinions of others. I know with you Linda part of your reserve is because your thoughtful comments have in times past drawn HUGE emotional responses and even verbal attacks. I hope you are assured that will never happen in my forums.

I now laugh because I know there are many of those who have accepted me as a friend who they feel the same way about me meaning I do not spend time on their forums as they would like. They in like say to themselves why should they be interested in what I have to say?

Now I am reminded of what you Linda said about Cheri Kim. I think there is a level of maturity that must be obtained to where it is not an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Live and let live. Venture out in love once in awhile to see if the other fellow has something worthwhile. It is possible that with this attitude you will get burned? Yes, once in awhile. Shall we crucify all who appear to of the same ilk? No, I say. Judge everyone in the moment. Reserve final  judgement for the final judge.

I think some people judge too harshly to protect themselves and their time and call it the better way almost a pride. Some call that paralysis of analysis. That is needed in certain scenarios. Not in social networking to open the doors, maybe to make the final choice in a critical moment. It is the common debate again, logic vs emotion, Spock vs Kirk. Star Trek showed the debate and I believe showed the answer, they are both needed and work best when they are both best friends and ultimately trust each other.

In your argument about building relationships only you mention Dave Cottrell. I agree with your comments on him, an awesome guy. I agree with your point in general. However, how would I have know he did not have a new traffic exchange program if he or someon had not told me of it first? That is what I mean about starting the conversation. Dave sent me a message that he had started TowerHits.com and would I check it out. That was like SPAM in most peoples book. What was the difference? Just as you state, he had built a quality relationship with me long before hand. I had already found Dave to be open, level headed, and above board. I respect what Dave has to say. So I took a look. I joined. Dave's site encourages his members to tell others about his site. I do and have in my forums. Because I am not Dave are my forum notices to that intent SPAM? It is the same message. They only go to members of my forum. I have never sent a personal message to anyone promoting TowerHits or any other venture I have promoted. I do believe as you do that relationship building is the foundation of success, not an optional element.

I propose that Cheri and Kim are most liked by you Linda because they have invested the time to keep up in your forums and because they think a lot like you, like me also. I do enjoy both and agree with them. In fact, I can not now think of a time I have disagreed with either. Cheri is one of my close friends here at AdlandPro.

Cheri and Kim took time to build a better relationship with you. I doubt they have ever stronly disagreed with you. So they are highly regarded by you. You might have even made a comment or two in their forums.

So in my book as you have stated in your book relationship building is key. I do not however believe that it is the only action. Somewhere somehow someone has to venture out and make FIRST CONTACT on a new idea. That person 99.9% of the time will be labelled as a SPAMMER by most even if a relationship has been built with someone somewhere or even many people. There is a saying that applies here paraphrased as noone is ever a prophet in their home town.

So my modus operandi is tolerance. You might call that foolishness in some cases. You might even have to rescue me from my supposed stupidity as in the case of the paypal program we are both familiar with. Yet, despite all the burns, cuts and bruises, I still choose tolerance. I have rarely ever accused someone of SPAM. I have rarely ever blocked a persons messages, one person only and that because of personal attacks. I visit most of my friends forums even if I do not always enter into the conversation. For one think, there are just too many friends and too many forums to do them all the justice I would like to. Heh, I even have recently received messages about social networking mlms where I can get paid supposedly to spend time reading all my friends forums,  hmm, nope, not the business I want. Cute idea though, if you like MLMs.

Sorry for such a long post. It did not take me hours, just a little over an hour. So not up to par with Gary's probably never will be.

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/27/2006 8:33:56 PM

Hi David,

Gee, do you see me and Linda as some kind of WWE tag team champions, or something? I say that in jest, of course. But that is the image that sprung to my mind...

Leaping Linda jumping off the top rope to deliver a flying elbow strike to our hapless victim, Junkyard Emailer, lying on the canvas. Then she springs up and tags me, Gorilla Gary, whereupon I pick up what is left of the opponent and use my trademark Piledriver finishing move to pound his head into the deck. I go for the cover - 1... 2... 3. Ding. Ding. Ding. We win - AGAIN! High fives all round before I go to the opposite corner and stiff-arm Junkyard's parner Trash Talk over the top rope sending him sprawling to the floor.

Like that? I guess you need to have watched a bit of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) to make any sense out of it. LOL!

Seriously, David, it's not a matter of "approving" of what somebody has said. There is a lot of stuff that gets put up on forums that I just ignore. What I find difficult to ignore is people who promote, endlessly, all sorts of scams just to make a few lousy bucks. Then they move on, like a wave of locusts, to pillage and plunder other crops (people). Yeah, THAT annoys me and I dis-approve of that.

But, I think I have made my feelings known on these matters ad nauseum. I'll desist.

You say we (me and L) are pickier about the "noise" that we listen to. Maybe. Probably. I can only speak for myself. But isn't that the province of every individual?

What I find is that in the hundreds of forums here at Adland I only have time to visit some. Those "some" are the ones that interest me - interesting topics and thoughtful people. If anybody were to read everything in every forum then that person would have to sit 24/7 at their computer. You wouldn't even get a "wee-wee" break.

I like people with strong opinions. I don't have to agree with those opinions. However, as you have alluded to, I am automatically attracted to those with similar opinions. I suppose that is just human nature. That is how clubs and associations are formed.

The corollary to that is - that is also how they get broken... the club gets so big that people with alternative ideas come in, form their own little sub-set and then split away. Er, that has happened in religion and politics. Has it not?

Anyway David, like you I agree with some of what you say. I disagree with some of what you say. We don't have to mirror our opinions on everything. How boring would that be? 

It is all about opinion based on beliefs and personal experience. I have some friends over here who I vehemently disagree with on certain subjects but we are still friends. We just have our little spats from time to time and move on.

Just a little example... my own father has a completely opposite view to me on politics. He cannot see past ONE particular party. They could put a Doberman in the seat of his electorate and he would vote for it. Well, that's a bit extreme but... I'm sure you get my drift. But despite our diametric views I still love him. I can do that. My feelings for the person are far stronger than my dislike over one particular disagreeable belief held by that person. Make sense?

What deplores me is when the attacks become personal and the swearing and name-calling starts. Then things have gone too far. That is when I prefer to walk away and let the other party feel as though they have had a huge win. You see, winning by bully-boy tactics is no win at all. Sure, I am well equipped to do just that but there is no skill or honour in it.

As usual, I have bunged on too much.

Nice to hear from you David - and Grandfather huh? I didn't know. Congratulations to you and the whole family.

Gary

PS: As Austinn Powers would say: "I don't bite... Haa-rrd!" LOL!

+0
7/27/2006 9:00:24 PM
LOL Gary!

=================

Gee, do you see me and Linda as some kind of WWE tag team champions, or something? I say that in jest, of course. But that is the image that sprung to my mind...

Leaping Linda jumping off the top rope to deliver a flying elbow strike to our hapless victim, Junkyard Emailer, lying on the canvas. Then she springs up and tags me, Gorilla Gary, whereupon I pick up what is left of the opponent and use my trademark Piledriver finishing move to pound his head into the deck. I go for the cover - 1... 2... 3. Ding. Ding. Ding. We win - AGAIN! High fives all round before I go to the opposite corner and stiff-arm Junkyard's parner Trash Talk over the top rope sending him sprawling to the floor.

==================

I am ROFLMAO. WWE, LOL. Linda, LOL, LOL. I am sure she could hold her own anywhere she ends up, but WWE just does not seem her style.

Hey, it was my turn to stir think up a bit, what can I say.

I am going to fail at that on this post because I can not find a single thing to disagree with you on.

===========================
What deplores me is when the attacks become personal and the swearing and name-calling starts. Then things have gone too far. That is when I prefer to walk away and let the other party feel as though they have had a huge win. You see, winning by bully-boy tactics is no win at all. Sure, I am well equipped to do just that but there is no skill or honour in it.
==========================

Amen to that brother. If I ever do anything that even sound like I am doing that, please pm me and bring me back to reality.

David

DrDA Detox and Heal
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/27/2006 9:41:19 PM

Good on you David for taking all that in the spirit with which it was intended!

A bit of humor never goes astray, does it?

Yikes! I'm gonna get into trouble for saying this - I just know it - but, what the heck, I say lots of rather unusual and controversial things...

Can you imagine "Leaping Linda" in a pair of those rasslin' trunks?

Now I am ROTFLMAO. Coz I know that when she sees that, well... let's just see what the response will be. (psst - I think I could be in trouble - again!)

I can be a naughty boy.

Ooh, before I forget David. Do you know what I agreed with you absolutely the most on? This comment:

===========

"I am going to fail at that on this post because I can not find a single thing to disagree with you on."

===========

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. More ROTF...

Gary

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!