Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Wolfgang was right.
6/24/2006 6:55:08 PM
Hi Linda, Of your list above I would like to make a comment about point 2: ================ "2) Apologies don't undo words once spoken. Reputations have been earned." ================ Yes. They don't undo words. Words are like the spent arrow. Once they're out there then they are out there. However, in my experience, if a heartfelt and sincere apology is made then, to me, that is the mark of a more than average person. You see an average person cannot do such a thing. Even when they know 100% that they are incorrect they will still cling to their stubborn belief. That is when they decide to ignore the person that they have offended because they don't have the courage and grace to admit that they were wrong. I have seen this time after time over my entire life. A good example is when a partner accuses another of something false. Even when they discover the truth they are still hostile and don't want to talk about it. I must admit that I, too, found Georgios to be very fair under extreme provocation. When you read the entire text (if you can bring yourself to do so) then that is one thing that stands out. He showed a very good example of common decency. The two who ganged up on him, however, were like a pair of spitting vipers. I just have no respect for either of them. Schlep? Well I'm still uncertain even after I looked it up. It seems as though it is a weight to be dragged somewhere. Is that what it means? Also, we have a footballer over here called David Mensch. Same spelling. Gary
+0
6/24/2006 9:40:10 PM
Hi... Mark; ========== Linda where do you find the time to create these fantastic posts? ========== Well... um... this is actually just how I talk. It's good to have people that will jump in. When my daughter and I get going, most people slink away and say we make their brain tired. So, I really like that I can be "me" here and it's actually enjoyed. Or seems to be. LOL. Gary; ========== However, in my experience, if a heartfelt and sincere apology is made then, to me, that is the mark of a more than average person. You see an average person cannot do such a thing. Even when they know 100% that they are incorrect they will still cling to their stubborn belief. ========== It's very true that many people can't even apologize when they're wrong. (Sad) However, I find that even the "heartfelt" ones fall into two categories. (1) The people who are sorry and make an attempt to change their behaviour... and (2) The people who give a heartfelt apology and keep doing the same crap. The latter gets old fast. And for your amusement; Oy Veh (oy for short) An expression of exasperation. Kvetch: To annoy or complain. Kind of like whining, but more annoying. Shlep: To carry or to move about. Usually refers to aimlessly. Yenta: A busybody, usually refers to an older woman. You know... the old biddies that sit around and mind everyone else's business for them. No names, of course. Chutzpah: Colossal nerve -- like the guy who killed his parents and then asked the courts to have mercy on him because he's an orphan now. LOL : ) L
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/24/2006 10:11:33 PM
Hey Linda, Using my new found knowledge: Oy veh indeed! At the risk of kvetching but not wanting to schlep... I agree that those who make a "heartfelt" apology then continue to do what they apologized for in the first place are very infuriating people. I have known some in my time. They have too much chutzpah for their own good. I have a yen-ta make comments like these. OK. OK. The last one was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I just couldn't work it into the flow. I do enjoy amusement. I don't think we receive enough of it. The world can be too serious too often. Gary
+0
6/24/2006 10:41:36 PM
Hi: ========== I do enjoy amusement. I don't think we receive enough of it. The world can be too serious too often. ========== I enjoy amusement, too. People that *really* know me say I have a delightful sense of humor. Others tell me I'm too serious. I find that often the "too serious" people have become that way because they are surrounded by people who will not be responsible so they shoulder more than their share. We all get one shot at life in this world. Funny thing is, none of us are going to get out of it alive. Heh. Oy - a little shlepping there. But it's preferable to hanging out with the yentas in some of the other forums. (Did you HEAR what John did? PM me. we'll talk.) LOL-KIDDING! Linda
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/25/2006 1:17:31 PM
Hi, Linda. As usual, you've hit the nail on the head. And as usual, we've gone off in different directions from there. It's tied together in my mind, though. I did put myself through the pain of reading that entire thread a day or two after I got back from vacation. The awful part was that I didn't consider reading it when it started, though I think I was a friend of Georgios' at that time and would have received the invitation. I should have stuck to my original decision. I considered posting, then decided not to. For one, I had already had a run-in elsewhere with the person who turned that into a bloodbath, and didn't care to risk another one, lest my behavior be less than exemplary. Other peacemakers, like Dave, Ana Maria and Jenny had already said what needed to be said to settle things down. But the biggest reason was that I simply didn't know enough on one side or the other of the original post to make a worthwhile comment. Maybe if people held their standards to 'worthwhile' comments, these things wouldn't happen. On the other hand, 90% or more of the posts on Adland would not be made, and then what would we do for entertainment? Cheri
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!