Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Vacation Highlights for My Friends
6/21/2006 8:57:23 PM
Hi, All I don't know how many of you would be interested, but I know that many of my friends have never seen the stark beauty of our western deserts. As my husband and I just returned from a 10-day visit to southern Utah/northern Arizona, I thought you may like to see some of the pictures we took there. We visited Lake Powell, which is mostly in Utah, though the dam that created it is just over the border in Arizona. This was land that had been set aside for the Navajo tribe of Native American peoples previously. They traded the land for other acreage near the small town in southern Utah where many of my husband's family live (Blanding). My husband and I both grew up with a few Navajo friends, but learned little of the culture until later in life. Lake Powell, as I mentioned, was created behind a feat of engineering marvel called Glen Canyon Dam. The canyon was named by Major John Wesley Powell, who was among the first non-native people to explore the Colorado River from headwaters to at least this area. The dam was started in the late 1950s, and filled to capacity for the first time in 1983. It was created to stablize water flow in the western region, most of which is drained by the Colorado River and its tributaries. In a pact among seven states, it was agreed that the states surrounding the upper Colorado Basin would deliver to those surrounding the lower Basin several hundred million acre-feet of water per year. Later, an agreement was made with Mexico to deliver a guaranteed amount of water there. In order to do that and still have sufficient water to meet our own needs, a reservoir was conceived. Lake Powell serves that purpose, and provides in addition a recreational wonderland. Its creation was not without controversy, as archeological sites were lost to its waters and there are always those who disapprove of interfering with Nature. While visiting there, we spent a few days on the lake in my brother-in-law's boat, sightseeing, fishing and just visiting. Unfortunately, the weather was quite windy and the extremes of temperature (about 98 degrees F during the day to about 65 at night) took their toll on my sister-in-law. They left early, and we were left to find our own entertainment after that. We spent the next few days taking advantage of tours that were available for the dam, and also visited the famous Antelope Canyon. Antelope Canyon is what is known as a 'slot' canyon, for its narrow walls. You may have seen photos of it before. It is famous because at midday, shafts of light enter the very narrow top of the canyon and pierce to the bottom like the finger of God in a majestic cathedral. We were unfortunately not there at the right time for the shafts of light, but the colors, shapes and textures of this most magnificent work of Nature were breathtaking. We also hiked out to a bend in the Colorado River below the dam that is named Horseshoe Bend for its shape. Finally, on the way home, we skirted the more famous Cedar Breaks and Zion National Parks and, driving through a spectacular area called Red Canyon, took time to visit Kodachrome Basin. There we viewed some curious features called 'sand pipes'. Geologists believe they were formed by liquified sand being injected into softer surrounding strata. When the surrounding rock was eroded away by wind and water, which carved all of this amazing landscape, it left spires of tall, narrow rock that seem impossible to stand alone. While there, we hiked about a mile to see an off-the-road feature, an arch of sandstone named Shakespeare Arch for its discoverer. While not as spectacular as those in Arches National Park near where we grew up, it is still a marvel. I've posted a few pictures of each of these areas for your enjoyment if you care to look at them. You can find them on Yahoo with this link.. I'm not familiar enough with the tools there to know how to change the names of pictures, so if you want to ask me about one, just refer to the file name and I'll answer as best I can. Thanks for letting me share with everyone all at once! Cheri
+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Vacation Highlights for My Friends
6/21/2006 9:42:38 PM
Hi Cheri, I loved reading your story, and I am excited to see the photos. There is nothing more beautiful than the desert....but, I cannot get into the photos through your link. Even when I login to my Yahoo, it will not come up. I just thought you would want to know...sorry for the badnews :-( Keep me posted on the link, and I will be back. So glad you had such a wonderful trip. Bless you, Jill
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/21/2006 9:45:16 PM
Hi Cheri, It sounds like you had a marvelous time on your vacation. That part of the country is so beautiful. My best friend lives in Arizona and my daughter lives in Nevada. I just love it out there, everything is still so pristine and natural. It was a lot of fun to read about all the places that you visited. Thank you for the guided tour. Your Good Friend Deborah PS. I was unable to access the pictures.
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/21/2006 9:55:34 PM
Jill, Deborah, Thanks for your visits and the news that I had a link problem. It had worked for me, but when you let me know I think I knew the reason. I've edited it and would love it if one of you would try again and let me know if it works now. Cheri
+0
Tim
Tim Southernwood

839 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/22/2006 12:00:25 PM
Hey Cheri, So nice to have you back safe "N" sound. It appears we share something else (a love of landscapes and the beauty of nature) Your descriptions brought me along with you and I could almost see the colors and formations. Thanks for the post. (Of course I wanted to hear about your holiday!) (I'll be sure to share mine lol)
Tim Southernwood/Get eH² Packs!/BlogNet Awards We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!