Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: It's Never Too Late To Love
2/14/2006 6:32:24 PM
Tim, Thanks for visiting, and allowing us to remember your special older friends with you. I've always had special friendships with older people, too. The next-door-neighbor when I was little, who invited me for tea parties and served it out of a tiny toy tea service. The elderly black gentleman who always teased my friends and me as we walked to school. He would drive by in his mule-drawn wagon (yes, it was a novelty even then...I'm not THAT old!) and say "Hi, boys, how are you today." Of course we would always protest that we weren't boys, but he'd do the same thing the next day. That was a time that seems almost idyllic now. I remember rambling several blocks from home when I was about eight, and meeting an older lady who was gardening. Somehow we began talking about crochet, which I must have just learned to do, and she took me in to show me how to starch doilies with sugar water. Today, the police would be out looking for me under the same circumstances! Thanks for bringing up these memories for me... Oh, about the recipe! It's funny, because the nutrition pundits are now insisting that the healthiest way to eat is exactly the way my grandmother cooked. I learned from her, so guess I've been eating healthy all my life! I still use her whole wheat bread recipe, and the one for oatmeal cookies along with many others. MMMMMMMM! (OK, OK, I eat too much, especially too much sugar, but she did teach me to eat whole grains and to cook from scratch.) Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/14/2006 6:42:44 PM
Amanda, Terri, Elbert, You're welcome, and thank you also for posting. Terri, interestingly enough, there were no mutual memories to share, because my grandparents moved to the small town where I grew up late in their lives to help my mother with her business. What Granddad and his second wife found together was companionship, and in my granddad's case at least, someone to care for and nurture. Gladys was a tiny lady who used a cane due to a congenital hip condition. She needed a lot of help in her older years, which is when they met. He was happy to provide it. They also shared their religious faith and affiliation. When Gladys could no longer live at home and was moved to a nursing home, Granddad's mind went downhill fairly rapidly. To the end, though, he was trying to help others. When he himself had to move to a care facility, he would tell anyone who would listen that he was there to help the doctors find out what was wrong with the old people there, and what a great responsibility that was. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/14/2006 7:27:41 PM
Izabel, Of course you're right about love having many faces. By the way, I'm so much enjoying the daily gratitude messages from GoGratitude. Thank you for introducing me to it. I have passed a few of the cards, and have received every reaction from 'what is it you want from me' to a quick hug. Nevertheless, I had asked the Universe for a way to remember gratitude, and almost immediately you posted about it. Ask and ye shall receive. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/14/2006 7:30:04 PM
Mairead, Sandy, Rita, Thank you for being here. You are welcome for the story. I'm so happy to share it. Cheri
+0
2/14/2006 8:28:53 PM
Dear Cheri, What a Beautiful Story! Yes, Love conquers all!!!! Thank you for inviting me. Happy Valentine's Day to you. Your Friend, Sweetgrame :-) http://www.sweetgrame.com http://www.Sweetgrame.ourtoolbar.com http://newbieclub.com/?seeforyourself
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!