Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diana Briere

243 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: F.E.A.R.
2/11/2006 2:39:53 PM
Hi Cheryl. I got your message and made my way to your forum. Thank you for inviting me here. You have a very good and useful subject. I also came from the depression decade upbringing. to this day my mom has mega moola in the bank earning 1% because of FEAR of who knows what. When we try to talk to her she clams up and we feel she thinks we are trying to get it from her.We (my husband and I and my sister) have all had to work hard and correct a lot of misinformation because of many years of misinformation. I've always been a little bit of a risk taker so have had to keep it quiet so as not stir up a lot of dust from the folks out of their FEAR.If I was to lose they would be in a panic. My husband is from the old school where he just retired from his 41 years of work from his one and only job. He was severed and we stood to get a lot of you know what. He was in total FEAR as to what to do with this windfall. We had finacial advisers and lots of panic. We put it all in a safe place. RRSPS and we are in the best shape ever have been as it is making us a beautful return without touching the principle. It depends where you put it within the RRSP. I made the final desision on where to put it as my husband is a very low risk taker. He almost flipped when the statement came in and he had built his funds a great deal. He would have liked to put this money in a (SAFE) place and earned 1%. This is all a learning game and just so sad that now at retirement people finally get the picture. Now that we really don't need as much we have it overflowing. If only we knew when we were younger. I will go and read your book list as there is lots more to learn. Thanks for this forum Cheryl From Diana http://mapleridgemarketplace.com/
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2006 3:46:33 PM
Hi Cheri, Yes, I can sure identify with this! It sounds like we grew up in similar circumstances. The great thing about the way we're made is that it's possible to change the way we think. Thanks for a great article. God bless, Dave
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2006 3:50:44 PM
Hi Cheri, Thanks for the invitation to your forum. I am happy for you and your husband. Building a home is an exciting, but stressful, time in your life. It seems you don't totally visualize what the finish product will look like. We had a home built for us 12-14 years ago. I love it, but there are a few small things we didn't think of during the planning process. Still, it is the nicest house we have ever had. Of course, sharing it with family and pets is the most important part. Good luck in this important endeavor! DonnaZ
+0
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2006 3:56:18 PM
hi, i think we all have this problem. it takes some real effort to work you way to knowing the right road to traval down. some of these books are great. nan
+0
2/11/2006 4:18:02 PM
First - Congragulations on overcoming this mental obstacle! I think I'm more of the opposite. I always lived comfortably, and as a result, didn't change my liefstyle enough to compensate for a drastic income change. I tend to think that somehow "it" will get paid for. This is a little tangential, but I recently read something - I think it might have been someone commenting on a lesson learned from Rich Dad, Poor Dad - that I keep in my mind that is starting to help. It basically said the following: If you want to buy something, say a car, you don't take your $10K that you've saved and buy the car because in 8 years not only will you no longer have a car, you'll no longer have the $10k either. BAsically you'll have nothing to show for it. Instead, for example, if the monthly payment would cost you $300, find a way to create a new flow of money that will cover the cost of the $300 to pay for it. Then when the 8 years is over, you may not have a car, but you will still have the $300/mo, something to show for it. Now imagine if you did that everytime you wanted to purchase something new. Clearly a better path to wealth generation! So now when I come across an interesting business opportunity that is expensive, I tell myself that if I want to join it, I will have to come up with some type of income producing activity to support it, as opposed to just putting it on a credit card or telling myself "No" because I can't afford it. By leaving this door of possibility open, I think it also leaves me with a more postive mindset as well!
"FREE ADvertising RESources" http://www.adlandconnection.com/go/253291/myWebPage.aspx ****************************************** "Discover some great eBooks and resources to help you make money" http://tinyurl.com/jk3hd
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!