Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mohamed Hassan

3847 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
RE: Develop a business mind to be successful business man!
3/9/2015 5:34:34 AM
Barnes and his burning desire to work with the great Edison not for him!

Although the difficulties that stood his way , His no ordinary desire, he was so determined to find a way to carry out his desire that finally decided to travel by " blind Baggage" rather than be defeated.
(To the uninitiated , this means that he went to East Orange in a freight train).

He presented himself at Mr. Edison's Laboratory, and announced he had come to go into business with the inventor.

In speaking of the first meeting between Barnes and Edison ,Years Later ,

Mr. Edison said , " He stood there before me looking like an ordinary tramp, but there was something in the expression of his face which conveyed the impression that he was determined to get what he had come after .

I had learned from years of experience , with the men, that when a man really DESIRES a thing so deeply that he is welling to stake his entire future on a single turn of the wheel in order to get it , he is sure to win.

+1
Mohamed Hassan

3847 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
3/9/2015 12:30:24 PM
Napoleon Hill said about Barnes ( who wanted to work with him not for him)

I gave him the opportunity he asked for, Because I saw he had made up his mind to stand by until he succeeded.
Subsequent events proved that no mistake was made.

Just what young Barnes said to Mr. Edison on that occasion was far less important than that which he thought. Edison, himself , said so, it couldn't have been the young man's appearance which got him his start in the Edison office, for that was definitely against him.
It was what he THOUGHT that counted .
If the significance of this statement could be conveyed to every person who reads it there would be no need for the remainder of this book.
Barnes didn't get his partnership with Edison on his first interview.
He did get a chance to work in Edison offices at a very nominal wage , doing work that unimportant to Edison, but most important to Barnes , because it gave him an opportunity to display his "merchandise" where his intended partner could see it.

+1
Mohamed Hassan

3847 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
3/10/2015 6:24:21 AM
BARNES' DEFINITE MAJOR PURPOSE

Months went by . apparently nothing happened to bring the coveted goal which Barnes had set up in his mind as his DEFINITE MAJOR PURPOSE. But something important was happening in Barnes' mind .

He was constantly intensifying his desire to become the business associate of Edison .
Psychologists have correctly said that " when one is truly ready for a thing , it puts in it's appearance ."
Barnes was ready for a business association with Edison , moreover, he was DETERMINED TO REMAIN READY UNTIL HE GOT THAT WHICH HE WAS SEEKING.
He did not say to himself ," Ah well what's the use? I guess I'll change my mind and try for a salesman's job.
" But, he did say I came here to go into business with Edison , and I'll accomplish this end if takes the reminder of my life ." He meant it ! what a different story men would have to tell if only they would adopt a different purpose, and stand by that purpose until it had time to become an all -consuming obsession!
Maybe young Barnes didn't know it at the time , but his bulldog determination, his persistence in standing back a single DESIRE , was destined to mow down to all opposition and bring him the opportunity he was seeking.
+2
Mohamed Hassan

3847 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
3/11/2015 5:19:08 AM
The Opportunity
When the opportunity came , it appeared in a different form, and from a different direction than Barnes had expected. That is one of the tricks of the opportunity . It has a sly habit of slipping in by the back door , and often it comes disguised in the form of misfortune or temporary defeat . perhaps this why so many fail to recognize opportunity.
Mr. Edison had just perfected a new office device, known at that time as the Edison Dictating Machine ( now the Ediphone) .
His salesmen wee not enthusiastic over the machine .
They did not believe it could be sold without great effort. Barnes saw his opportunity. It had crawled in quietly , hidden in a queer looking machine which interested no one but Barnes and the inventor.

Barnes new he could sell the Edison Dictating machine . He suggested this to Edison, and promptly got his chance.
He did sell the machine, In fact he sold it so successfully that Edison give him a contract to distribute and market it all over the nation .
Out of that business association grew the slogan, " Made by Edison and Installed by Barnes"
The business alliance has been in operation for more than thirty year. Out of it Barnes has made himself rich in money, but he has done something infinitely greater, he has proved that one really may "Think and Grow Rich."

How much actual cash that original DESIRE OF Barnes has been worth to him, I have no way of knowing . perhaps it has brought him two or three million dollar, but the amount whatever it is become insignificant when compared with the greater asset he acquired in the form of definite knowledge that an intangible impulse of thought can be transmuted into it's physical counterpart by the application of known principles .
+1
Mohamed Hassan

3847 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
3/11/2015 12:40:42 PM
An intangible impulse of thought can be transmuted into it's physical counterpart.

Barnes literally thought himself into
a partnership with the great Edison!
He thought himself into a fortune . He had nothing to start with, except the capacity to KNOW WHAT HE WANTED , AND THE DETERMINATION TO STAND BY THAT DESIRE UNTIL HE REALIZED IT.

He had no money to begin with . He had but little education. He had no influence . but he did have initiative , faith, and the will to win. with these intangible forces he made himself number one man with the greatest inventor who ever lived.
Now let us look at a different situation , and study a man who had plenty of tangible evidence of riches, but lost it, because he stopped three feet short of the goal he was seeking.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!